The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

an unexpected 30% boost in sales revenue

Marketing, social media, advertising

safff

Redlining
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 11, 2015
OK I know many will say 'well duh' to the following but it's something that didn't occur to me until recently.
I have a couple of websites that steadily sell digital products. for up to $49 aud. I noticed that my sales were generally from all over the place, mostly America and Europe, so decided to experiment with pricing.

We all probably know the logic between keeping a product at $48 to feel better priced than the same product at $50 - but I noticed that as of lately the US dollar has been pulling away from the Aussie dollar (well, over the last year).

I switched the currency to $49 USD and to my surprise it had no adverse effect on sale numbers (albeit they're relatively small anyway) and Australian sales actually increased.

I came to the conclusion that either
1) the psychology of pricing transcends currencies. 'just 49 bucks' seems universal if your product has value. Or;
2) people don't generally translate their purchases to other currencies when making a purchase or perhaps even find a higher price easier to digest if it's on the back of a currency exchange.

Either way, the simple change translates to $64 from every $49 sale. That's the equivalent of an extra sale for every 3.2 sales. Not a huge amount, no, but it's exponential. The higher the value, the higher the benefit. Obviously won't work for some business models, especially if you have a domain tied to a country or have local basis as a key usp but possibly something worth considering depending on where you're situated and the tax arrangements and the type of product you're selling.

I'll be flipping it into british pounds next which on paper represents up to 45%. It hinges on the need and desire for your product but once you get that it may be worthwhile not tying yourself toa country in a boarderless market

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
OK I know many will say 'well duh' to the following but it's something that didn't occur to me until recently.
I have a couple of websites that steadily sell digital products. for up to $49 aud. I noticed that my sales were generally from all over the place, mostly America and Europe, so decided to experiment with pricing.

We all probably know the logic between keeping a product at $48 to feel better priced than the same product at $50 - but I noticed that as of lately the US dollar has been pulling away from the Aussie dollar (well, over the last year).

I switched the currency to $49 USD and to my surprise it had no adverse effect on sale numbers (albeit they're relatively small anyway) and Australian sales actually increased.

I came to the conclusion that either
1) the psychology of pricing transcends currencies. 'just 49 bucks' seems universal if your product has value. Or;
2) people don't generally translate their purchases to other currencies when making a purchase or perhaps even find a higher price easier to digest if it's on the back of a currency exchange.

Either way, the simple change translates to $64 from every $49 sale. That's the equivalent of an extra sale for every 3.2 sales. Not a huge amount, no, but it's exponential. The higher the value, the higher the benefit. Obviously won't work for some business models, but possibly something worth considering depending on where you're situated and the tax arrangements and the type of product you're selling
Ha. Nice.

ExcelGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Aug 11, 2016
Waterloo, Ontario
I'm wondering about that for the future. I just put up my site last week and had prices in USD at first. But since I'm starting local friends want to see prices in Canadian. If I get a few more sales maybe I'll buy a .ca domain and keep those prices in Canadian. Hmm...just remembered I had prices for tees at 19.99 us and didn't upgrade them to Canadian. Might have to see what the market can take.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Please report back.
I'd bet that many Americans see the exchange go to $64 and buy anyway. I'm interested in how it works out.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Price at $99 and see what happens.

Sometimes a higher price displays more value. When people value their time (which almost everyone does), they'll prefer a premium product that fills their need vs a bottom of the barrel product that won't. Higher price = higher perceived value.

safff

Redlining
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 11, 2015
Please report back.
I'd bet that many Americans see the exchange go to $64 and buy anyway. I'm interested in how it works out.

So I switched momentarily last night and did see three sales straight away - but not as expected.

The sales came from countries in Europe that are new markets to the business. Perhaps the exchange rate following the brexit has given the impression that purchasing in pounds is a good deal (not that I've checked the current standing lately)? I've put the site into maintenance mode briefly though, more below

Price at $99 and see what happens.

Sometimes a higher price displays more value. When people value their time (which almost everyone does), they'll prefer a premium product that fills their need vs a bottom of the barrel product that won't. Higher price = higher perceived value.
Has been on my mind since staring the business with an 'introductory' pricing approach. I've sold enough units to be confident that it sells, so I'll try a more premium approach.

In order to facilitate this though, I feel that the website needs a cleaner, slicker format so I've spent the day rebuilding the home page.

The previous home page had great info, read well but 1) wasn't responsive so mobile viewing wasn't easy (not a priority given the product but may help with conversions for people who want to purchase on the fly)

2) Lacked a bit of flair.

So I've added some stock photography, a pop up video and a responsive theme amongst other tweaks and the page looks a lot more eye-popping whilst retaining the same info on the back end. Small qualm is that I liked the previous font but I"ll figure that out shortly.

Once it's all tested and ready to rock, I'll re-activate it with the premium pricing, for 2-3 weeks in USD, then 2-3 weeks, same sticker price but in GBP and will compile the results and the countries where conversions if any come from. To keep it apples to apples, I've also generalised the ad campaigns so that countries in europe, the US and Australia are targetted as equally as possible.

Should be interesting to see the results..

I'm wondering about that for the future. I just put up my site last week and had prices in USD at first. But since I'm starting local friends want to see prices in Canadian. If I get a few more sales maybe I'll buy a .ca domain and keep those prices in Canadian. Hmm...just remembered I had prices for tees at 19.99 us and didn't upgrade them to Canadian. Might have to see what the market can take.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

I've got mixed thoughts on it. I think the local domains do have a value for the local market.. BUT in the long run, limit you in going beyond that. But again it comes down to your product. Products that you can't competitively offer worldwide at the moment, it makes more sense.

I think having multiple domains is all well and good but from the precious little I know about SEO it could become hard to market both?

Last edited:

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Has been on my mind since staring the business with an 'introductory' pricing approach. I've sold enough units to be confident that it sells, so I'll try a more premium approach.

In order to facilitate this though, I feel that the website needs a cleaner, slicker format so I've spent the day rebuilding the home page.

The previous home page had great info, read well but 1) wasn't responsive so mobile viewing wasn't easy (not a priority given the product but may help with conversions for people who want to purchase on the fly)

2) Lacked a bit of flair.

So I've added some stock photography, a pop up video and a responsive theme amongst other tweaks and the page looks a lot more eye-popping whilst retaining the same info on the back end. Small qualm is that I liked the previous font but I"ll figure that out shortly.

Once it's all tested and ready to rock, I'll re-activate it with the premium pricing, for 2-3 weeks in USD, then 2-3 weeks, same sticker price but in GBP and will compile the results and the countries where conversions if any come from. To keep it apples to apples, I've also generalised the ad campaigns so that countries in europe, the US and Australia are targetted as equally as possible.

Should be interesting to see the results..

You're overthinking it.

Put it up for $99 as is. If it sells, awesome, keep it. If it doesn't sell, then all you've lost is a couple days worth of sales. Then go back to "fixing the site".

safff

Redlining
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 11, 2015
You're overthinking it.

Put it up for $99 as is. If it sells, awesome, keep it. If it doesn't sell, then all you've lost is a couple days worth of sales. Then go back to "fixing the site".

For the sake of half a day it was worthwhile - it needed doing anyway, to optimise and to convert so it was as good as an excuse as any to do what I'd been putting off, not wanting to invest too much time. Learned a few things in the redesign too so it's a win win.

The original design did have its merits so I think I'm going to keep the old front end as a landing page

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.