The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

An example of how to safely pursue a career in music (or any boom-or-bust endeavor)

MigrantMan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
440%
Mar 9, 2017
Fort Collins, CO
[Abstract] Fastline ideas used to financially fuel music career for up-and-coming rapper

I stumbled across an interesting interview with a rising rapper from Chicago called Valee. This caught my eye because this guy has taken a round-about route to his now imminent musical success. Although now relatively old to be a new rapper (28), he has now been signed to Kanye West's own music label.

What I find interesting is that this guy took the time to create a very profitable business for himself in construction and basic handyman work before even thinking about his musical career. He described it as "lucrative enough to pay my bills and then some, which gave me a free creative life". He says he was able to afford a beautiful condo from his steady profits, and now doesn't even need to hand out business cards for his construction business.

I am not a regular visitor on this forum, but this seems in line with the thinking here. And it is a particularly valuable idea for those here who do have creative interests (music, art, etc.), but also understand the odds against "making it" in those fields. I am a creatively inclined individual, so I am happy to see someone succeed in the arts without having to live on the streets first.

In short, I recommend people take this approach of achieving financial freedom first. Don't give up your dreams, but understand that you can pursue them more efficiently when you aren't completely broke.

Link to interview: Introducing Valee, the G.O.O.D. Music-Approved Rapper With an Elegant Trap Sound | Pitchfork

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
What I find interesting is that this guy took the time to create a very profitable business for himself in construction and basic handyman work before even thinking about his musical career. He described it as "lucrative enough to pay my bills and then some, which gave me a free creative life".

Very similar to what I did as well. I hated all my jobs before and after college. They paid the bills mainly, but most importantly, they allowed me the freedom to pursue my entrepreneurial dreams.

I will also note that I made choices in my life to ensure that my yoke was lean.

The more responsibility you have, the more difficult it is to gain traction.

In other words, I didn't get married at 23 and have 4 kids. Those are choices I made.

I say this because some people like to discount my message because I made the right choices by not stockpiling my yoke with kids to support. A productocracy doesn't care if you have 0 kids or 4 -- value is value.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
What I find interesting is that this guy took the time to create a very profitable business for himself in construction and basic handyman work before even thinking about his musical career. He described it as "lucrative enough to pay my bills and then some, which gave me a free creative life".

That's my own ambition as well for my creative side. I want to get my income and wealth needs handled, and then be able to do my own art, knowing I'll enjoy it whether or not anybody else does. If other people also enjoy it enough to make it profitable to distribute it to them, I'll happily share it on that basis... if not enough people also care about what floats my boat creatively, I'll happily enjoy my art myself, knowing disinterest from others has nothing to do with whether I have a roof over my head and some ramen on the table!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.