The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Amity | Messaging App, comes out of 'stealth mode'

codo3500

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jun 6, 2013
Hey guys!

I'm the Director of Marketing for Amity. As many of you know, I already have some very successful businesses, but one that I haven't been able to speak about up until now is Amity.

It's a messaging app that is miles ahead of everything on the market - and has been developed by a team of 8 guys, in a startup house, over the last 2 years - in complete secrecy.

Here's a link: https://amity.io - this link has our Pre-Launch video, and you can register to be notified when we go live. If you want to share it, you'll get a referral link, and you'll get some cool in-app goodies when we launch.

That's our pre-launch; won't be long until launch, we're just finalising everything. We'll be launching on iPhone, and also a beta on Android.

Happy to field some questions :)

P.S. Attached is a photo of our work/living environment - it's intense!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Attachments

• Amity_Team.jpg
    Amity_Team.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 148

Mr.Chaos

Wolves love Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Mar 16, 2016
Atlanta
Hey guys!

I'm the Director of Marketing for Amity. As many of you know, I already have some very successful businesses, but one that I haven't been able to speak about up until now is Amity.

It's a messaging app that is miles ahead of everything on the market - and has been developed by a team of 8 guys, in a startup house, over the last 2 years - in complete secrecy.

Here's a link: https://amity.io - this link has our Pre-Launch video, and you can register to be notified when we go live. If you want to share it, you'll get a referral link, and you'll get some cool in-app goodies when we launch.

That's our pre-launch; won't be long until launch, we're just finalising everything. We'll be launching on iPhone, and also a beta on Android.

Happy to field some questions :)

P.S. Attached is a photo of our work/living environment - it's intense!

looks really cool subbed!

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
How exactly your app is miles ahead of everything else?
Because of "request" feature?
That's just no strong enough and this is the strongest feature you seem to have.

codo3500

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jun 6, 2013
That's just no strong enough and this is the strongest feature you seem to have.
This is just a teaser video. Compared with FB Messenger for example; we have live mode with additional interactivity, reactions, ephemeral emojis, photo filters, postcards, request functionality, plus lots of other little pieces. Considering WhatsApp's domination, we're a much more user friendly and functional app. Time will tell :)

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
My business partner and I originally thought about trying to compete with whatsapp, but glad we didn't. The feature we wanted to sell hard was the ability to "unsend" a text to someone. Consider that a free idea haha Could be a cool add on feature.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
My business partner and I originally thought about trying to compete with whatsapp, but glad we didn't. The feature we wanted to sell hard was the ability to "unsend" a text to someone. Consider that a free idea haha Could be a cool add on feature.

Thats a good idea, even just the option to delete it from their phone at any point.

Liberty T. Vance

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
May 25, 2015
California

You can do this with WeChat...

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
You can do this with WeChat...
I'm not an expert in messaging apps, so I don't know, honestly don't care. Was just a suggestion that whatsapp, and the normal sms functions on phones do not have

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Thankfully your sole opinion does not make a market.

The app looks like it has potential -- you never know what might appeal to young people who have smartphones glued to their faces.

masaldana2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jun 17, 2013
Dallas, Tx
Nice video,
have you seen the new imessage app that is comming for ios 10? I'm building an app extension for that

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
Thankfully your sole opinion does not make a market.

The app looks like it has potential -- you never know what might appeal to young people who have smartphones glued to their faces.
Thankfully, yes.
The app looks solid, but once this Amity app demonstrates their strongest features leading to success - they are likely to be integrated into other apps that dominate the market. Instagram recently did it to snapchat, for example.

Last edited:

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
App looks like it really has potential.. I also don't think that just because you have a messaging app has to mean that you're competing with WhatsApp.. look at Snapchat, people are still using WhatsApp like they did before, they are just using Snapchat too. Give people a reason to add your app to their list of messaging apps and there's no reason why they shouldn't love it as much as they love their WhatsApp and Snapchat.

I wish you the best with your app, if you get it out there the right way I can really see it being used by young people.

codo3500

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jun 6, 2013
Thanks for the kind words guys! Launch has been going well, stacks and stacks of emails collected for the pre-launch so far; so we'll be hitting the App Store with a burst of downloads on Day One (will easily surpass what Snapchat did in their first week).

We always have the risk of our features being copied by the big players; but if everyone let that fear stop them, we would have no more innovation. We're not looking to go head-to-head with the big guys, we're a different experience, much like Snapchat was, so it'll be interesting to see how the market responds.

As for iMessage on iOS10, we have a copy here, and it has some cool features. We're very different, and they can't implement 'too much' functionality, as it's native, and they'll scare their older users (they're already having pushback), so they have to grow out their functionality slowly, while we can go much faster. In saying that, it really highlighted to us that we're in the right space; every indicator (WhatsApp, Snapchat, iOS10 iMessage) seems to point to this being the next frontier.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Thanks for the kind words guys! Launch has been going well, stacks and stacks of emails collected for the pre-launch so far; so we'll be hitting the App Store with a burst of downloads on Day One (will easily surpass what Snapchat did in their first week).

We always have the risk of our features being copied by the big players; but if everyone let that fear stop them, we would have no more innovation. We're not looking to go head-to-head with the big guys, we're a different experience, much like Snapchat was, so it'll be interesting to see how the market responds.

As for iMessage on iOS10, we have a copy here, and it has some cool features. We're very different, and they can't implement 'too much' functionality, as it's native, and they'll scare their older users (they're already having pushback), so they have to grow out their functionality slowly, while we can go much faster. In saying that, it really highlighted to us that we're in the right space; every indicator (WhatsApp, Snapchat, iOS10 iMessage) seems to point to this being the next frontier.

Good luck! Looking forward to watching the numbers

AlexCph

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 24, 2016
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Looks great. The teaser video works well imo. Please make sure to make a temporary pic sending mode so NSFW pics auto delete after a certain amount of time. I missed this feature sorely today while chatting to a girl on FB messenger :p

Mac

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 10, 2015
Have you guys considered launching a minimum viable product to early adopters to test it out before you do a big launch to the public?

HoneyBadger

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
201%
Jul 14, 2016
Florida
Have you guys considered launching a minimum viable product to early adopters to test it out before you do a big launch to the public?
I think he is way past/skipped the 'minimum viable product' stage.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
Looking at the website it's out! I never got an email but cool will try :) How do you even be the first one to use a messenger app when you don't know anyone with it lol, I guess tell your friends to use it huh? Slick

codo3500

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jun 6, 2013

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
A damn good write up on Tech Crunch.. Congrats man! You're steps away from living the dream! Its been very cool to follow this thread. Can't wait for the update in a year or two when you get bought by google for $1bn haha

HoneyBadger

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
201%
Jul 14, 2016
Florida
A damn good write up on Tech Crunch.. Congrats man! You're steps away from living the dream! Its been very cool to follow this thread. Can't wait for the update in a year or two when you get bought by google for $1bn haha
For real! What we really need to know is how he got Tech Crunch to run that article...

codo3500

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jun 6, 2013
It's funny, because we've had a number of write-ups on major publications (TechCrunch included) where it's been criticized as being 'clearly a paid advertisement' because it was overly positive. We're just taking it as a massive compliment haha

codo3500

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jun 6, 2013

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
It's funny, because we've had a number of write-ups on major publications (TechCrunch included) where it's been criticized as being 'clearly a paid advertisement' because it was overly positive. We're just taking it as a massive compliment haha

Tech Crunch has been to known to be brutal when they feel like it, so thats no small accomplishment!

hughjasle

AutoPilot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Dec 25, 2012
Anywhere with internet
Doesn't look like this thread is on the inside so not sure what you can really divulge, but how are you guys marketing for this?

Are you following more of a brand awareness model, or a direct sales model?

Would love to know more about the marketing aspects of something like this. Not sure it will ever be useful to me but would be fun to read :)

codo3500

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jun 6, 2013
Doesn't look like this thread is on the inside so not sure what you can really divulge, but how are you guys marketing for this?

Are you following more of a brand awareness model, or a direct sales model?

Would love to know more about the marketing aspects of something like this. Not sure it will ever be useful to me but would be fun to read :)
We've been getting a lot of media attention, we were featured at the top of TechCrunch as a featured article all of last weekend; plus plenty of other major outlets. The app is growing organically though, it has a lot of in-built sharing functionality; so obviously network effects kick in as we grow :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.