• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. The forum software will be upgraded on Sunday May 26th and may not look normal during the transition. Some functionality may be offline. This is TEMPORARY and is expected to last up to 8 hours.
  2. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Real Estate American Home Mortgage - Bankrupt!

Discussion in 'Real Estate Investing' started by AroundTheWorld, Aug 7, 2007.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Be in the Moment Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,770
    http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/banking/2007-07-31-american-home-mortgage_N.htm

This is another step down.... as they primary loaned "Alt-A" (between prime and sub-prime)

With credit drying up - even those bargain hunters that find a home they like may not be able to buy.... further driving down the housing market.

How low will it go?

What will the indicators be that it will turn around again?

What needs to happen before that occurs?

1 person likes this.
  2. andviv

andviv Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $3,421
    speculation?

I think this just shows that people with scores 680-750 also bought banking on speculation and now can't get rid of the places.

3. kidgas

kidgas Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $63
    Indicators?
    Public bail-out? Resolution Trust Corp?

3 people like this.
  4. Bradley Shelle

Bradley Shelle PARKED

Rep Bank:
    $33
    American Home Mortgage specializes in adjustable-rate mortgages, which carry interest rates that reset according to certain benchmark interest rates. This type of debt has hamstrung a lot of borrowers in the past year because interest rates have jumped.

5. hatterasguy

hatterasguy Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $304
    Sigh, when will this mess end. I'm tired of this BS, I can't wait for the market to do something so I can start selling houses again. I want a new Mercedes.

6. reipro

reipro Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $71
    hatterasguy,

I would not worry about selling anything in this market. It is only time to buy. Buy all you can buy, in 2-3 years you will have your car.:hurray:

7. hatterasguy

Rep Bank:
    $304
    Yeah well I only have so much cash to play with, I need to turn and burn deals in order to raise capital.

If I can't sell new houses, I don't have money to buy building lots and build more new houses.

I'm just starting so I can only hold onto so many building lots at once. Sadly I don't have $2m sitting in my checking account to really make some moves.

8. reipro

reipro Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $71
    Get a partner! Find someone who has CASH! Go talk to 50 or 100 banks!!! The money is there is the deal is right!

9. hatterasguy

Rep Bank:
    $304
    I have partners, they are pulling back now too. They own a lot and the future is uncertian. Maintaining liquidity in this market is important. You don't want to burn all your cash and than choke and die if you can't sell anything for 12-18 months. If the market does something other than crash it doesn't take long to whip out the checkbook and start writing contracts.

No one who is alive has seen anything like this before. This makes the 80's look like a burp. Buyers are few and far betwee and only cheap houses seem to be selling. Prices on houses for sale are starting to free fall, and you would think that means rents will do allright. Well no, I have never seen so many rentals on the market. Prices on those are dropping to. Like I just said to my friend over the phone 5 minutes ago, the RE market in my area no longer exists. Their simply is no market. Just vulters are left and their are only so many of them.

I caught a falling knife on my first deal and got cut, so my profit will be very small on that one. On my second I should make out allright. I'm working on taking control of a 3rd with none of my money.

No one is going to be doing much of anything around here until spring. If I could afford to I would just take next year off.

If your looking to buy and hold long term for rentals now is a great time to buy. Although I would caution against over extending.

10. JScott

JScott Legendary Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $46,582
    If you're set on flipping (or building and selling), then you have to go where the buyers are. And, like you said, the buyers are in the lower end of the market. So, that's where you need to be...or you need to change your business model.

I'd love to be flipping $500K and $1M houses...and expect to be doing that in a couple years when the market recovers...but until then, I'm focusing on the "sweet spot" where the buyers are -- sub-$150K houses aimed at FHA borrowers. The "sweet spot" in your market may be different, but figure out what it is and focus your attention there...

Or change your business model...

11. hatterasguy

Rep Bank:
    $304
    In my area the cheap houses are $200k-$250k. Those are selling, slowly. 10 this month in my city, down from say oh 35-50. I can't really build a house for that price unless I get the land for free.

The land is the only real flexablity you have in building, construction costs don't change.

Its just going to be a slow couple of years.

12. andviv

andviv Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $3,421
    so I take there are not FHA loans in your area, Hatteras?

13. JScott

JScott Legendary Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $46,582
    Not every real estate strategy will work in every market. In this market (at least in most areas), new construction just isn't a feasible strategy. There is too much supply, no demand, and the buyers that ARE out there can get new construction for less-than-replacement-costs, as many builders would rather take a loss than go into foreclosure.

Why not try another real estate strategy...something that will work in this market?

Barring that, perhaps you should focus on other business opportunities for a couple years until the market rebounds?

14. andviv

Rep Bank:
    $3,421
    What is your cost/sq.ft?

I'm seeing properties built in 2004 go for $44/sq.ft. (obviously, not the perfect locations, in some submarkets in FL) but there is no way a new construction could compete in a market like that.

15. wildambitions

wildambitions Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $161
    Go back and re-read all of your posts in this thread... STOP making and finding all the excuses and make and find a way to do what you need to do to keep moving. No matter what is happening anywhere there is opportunity to make money. No one said it was going to easy (if it was, everyone would be rich). So get out of your current thought process and don't be the victim!

andviv likes this.
  16. hatterasguy

Rep Bank:
    $304

Yes, up to $417k.

17. hatterasguy

Rep Bank:
    $304

$55-$60 up here. I can also assure you that we are the lowest cost, yet still deliver a good product.

18. hatterasguy

Rep Bank:
    $304
    I don't want to give the wrong impression. I am moving forward and most likely will meet my goal of building and selling 3 homes next year. Heck I already have two in the pipeline, I might even surprise myself and do 4. These deals go to together real fast and easy now that I have the right partners.

However I can only work as fast as I can build and sell projects, money is limited. Also frankly this market has me worried. I think its possible it could get very, very bad for a few years. Although since their is nothing I can do about that its just a worry, so I'll have to push on and hope for the best.

The fundimentals say I should be able to sell them in the low $300k range which is very profitable. Maybe this is still possible. My market is very unique because its very mature. So the handfull of new construction that gets added every year is usualy eagerly bought up. People love getting to buy a new house in a 100-400 year old neighborhood, much less upkeep.

I'm never going to leave real estate, its in my blood. Right now it doesn't seem like to many people in my area are making a killing in it. But long term I know its a good business. The RE agents are all sucking wind, the old guard is hording cash, and flippers and all those fringe guys never seem to make any money anyway. I can't even think of a single one who is still around.

What is concerning me is the pulling back of the old guard, thats been through the 80's and 70's. Up until this past month they were buying a lot. Heck my partner wrote $1.5m in checks in September and October alone. Lots of snapping up. But now he pulled back and didn't buy the two properties for $800k that he was going to buy this month. He can't sell anything or rent anything, so he figures he will wait and see. The market is all messed up.

I just need to stop watching the news.

19. JScott

Rep Bank:
    $46,582
    There IS something you can do about it...you can modify your business model and your strategy to adapt to the current market, as opposed to just "push on" in a direction that is likely to result in short-term failure.

20. hatterasguy

Rep Bank:
    $304
    I have, I'll see what 2009 brings.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.