The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

American Express Platinum Business Card?

bosco

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Dec 31, 2007
Amex has been on my case about them wanting to upgrade me to the prestigous Platinum Card. You know Bosco, this is one step away from the ever more prestigious centurian card(aka black card).

My question is are the fringe bennies and additional services you get with the platinum card worth the 295 per year membership fee?

Anyone have one? Like it?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Dang Bosco it seems like we are in parallel universes or something. I just opened an offer from Amex. Same card but no annual fee and 5% back on gas purchases. Currently I don't pay CC interest and I don't pay any fees to any financial institution for a CC or a checking account. I may consider this one because of the gas rebate.

bosco

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Dec 31, 2007
Hehehe... I have the AMEX Platinum Business Rewards card that gets returns a percentage of each sale to me each February. Definately worth a few hundred bucks back each year. You dont see the hard cash they just deduct it from you amount owed on the march (????) cycle. I am leary about the new card because I dont like paying fee's to use a card but there are a ton of bennies that come along with it that is appealing.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I don't remember any distinct benefits of having a Platinum card and I've had one for about 8 years. If there are benefits, I sadly, never used them or was aware of them.

(EDIT: Actually check that, I get a rebate every year for my platinum card -- usually several $1,000/yr.)

However I can't say that for my Amex Centurion (Black Card). The black card is a different story -- if you put it to use, it comes with many perks and it takes some time to learn what they all are. For example, on my recent trip to San Francisco, I bought a round trip ticket for $200. I was upgraded to first class on both legs of the trip. During the hectic XMAS week, its nice to bypass all the lines.

While I was in Chicago, I paid $600 for a room and was immediately upgraded into a ostentatious room that goes for over $2,000/night. It was over the top and more than I needed but enjoyed it nonetheless.

If you spend $250,000/year and pay timely on your Platinum card, you should qualify for the Black card.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
2500/yr

michael515

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Aug 27, 2007

They should make a commercial about this card like the MC "priceless" commercials. Waiting tables I would occasionally handle these cards and I knew the holder was a big dog...

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
I think some of you guys got the Platinum card he was talking about confused with the Platinum Optima card, or the Platinum rewards card?

The base Platinum Amex is $295 annually, and comes with benefits like admittance to all the Airline VIP Lounges in airports, a bigger accidental death insurance policy, etc etc etc...

When I was a kid working in the mall, I only ever saw 2 or 3 of these cards during the 3 summers I ran a cash register. Each time I saw one, I knew the person I was dealing with was "big time", so the status of having the card can definitely work some magic and open doors for you at times. I'm sure the status is even better for the black, or the Amex metal card - but I never have seen those, only heard stories.

In summary -- I tore up the app they sent me. Can't justify the $295 annual fee right now when I'm not doing enough travelling to enjoy those airport lounges, etc

Cheers,

- Hakrjak

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
You get 4 free tickets for companions on flights over $300. That can pay for the card and more if you are creative.

You can use one of the big firm's offices to take your calls and as mailing adress. That could be worth it. "My office is on Wall Street - just send mail there."

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.