The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

American Enterprise Day at my School

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
Every year, our school celebrates American Enterprise Day through an FBLA run program that brings in guest speakers in the business field to speak to the students throughout the day. A different speaker appears during each period of the day.

I was tired this morning and I hadn't missed a day of school all year, so I convinced my parents to let me skip the first 5 periods of the day. I went in for periods 6-9. I had lunch 6th, a Spanish test 7th, a Pre-Calc test 8th, and U.S. 9th. I heard there was an interesting speaker 8th period, so I rushed through my math quiz in 5 minutes and made it to the assembly in time. The speaker was a graduate of my high school who was now in the field of sports management. He is the marketing agent for such athletes as Magic Johnson, "Smokin'" Joe Frazier, Dennis Rodman, and several others. I believe he also represents Pam Anderson. Anyway, he started off in the sports field by collecting memorabilia when he was around 14. This earned him some good money for a teenager, but, ultimately, the proposition of being an agent became something he wanted to pursue. After working up the courage to speak with Magic Johnson, he finally got his first client. His next was Joe Frazier, and he's been racking in clients ever since.

One thing he preached was the importance of a good team. His assistants, who happened to be high school friends and I believe his brother, all know him very well and can predict his thoughts even before he expresses them. While just about everyone came there to see Joe Frazier (which, I'll admit, was pretty damn cool), I was very interested in hearing what he had to say. He also mentioned that he wasn't a great student by any stretch of the imagination, but that didn't stop him. Of course, he still encouraged graduating and that whole schpeale (Jew words...sorry, don't quite know how to spell it) even after informing us he flunked out of college after his freshmen year. I guess this was due to the fact that he was speaking in front of dozens of educators. Frazier only spoke for about two minutes, and it was about nothing to with business, but his presence made for a very cool atmosphere.

The period after, a restaurant and franchise owner spoke. He owns and operates the businesses with his brother who lives in my neighborhood, and I've known his son for almost 10 years. Anyway, he made some good points too. He spoke about the pros/cons of being an entrepreneur, and gave some examples for each. While he still could be considered "passenger" in the fastlane as a franchisOR, he and his brother are still very successful. I believe they own almost a dozen franchises and a restaurant or two as well.

I wish they all would've had more time to speak, but both of these were very insightful presentations. I've actually been considering a career in sports management recently as it's something I'm extremely interested in and knowledgable about. It essentially combines my two biggest interests: sports and business. Sounds perfect, but I'm not so sure I want to go down that whole "job" path.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
Glad you went. I don't think I had the wherewithall or care back in high school to attend any such thing. Your a step ahead of many folks in that regard, especially listening to more then just the athletes. One thing schools do very right here in the US is let you know you can do anything you want. Good post Yankee.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
Glad you went. I don't think I had the wherewithall or care back in high school to attend any such thing. Your a step ahead of many folks in that regard, especially taking not of not just the athletes that come through. One thing schools do very right here in the US is let you know you can do anything you want. Good post Yankee.
Thanks.

Unfortunately, being a step ahead of the majority of my peers, I didn't take away as much from this as those who were basically hearing this stuff for the first time. However, one thing that continues to get hammered into my mind is the need for goals and organization, as well as the ability to overcome fear and take risks.

It was definitely a good use of time...beats sitting in class training to be a corporate drone anyday!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.