The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Amazon Files Lawsuit Against Paid Review Companies

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
D

Deleted35442

Whine all you want. Amazon is the only winner here. Not you. If you're at the size these merchants are you'd probably be buying these fake reviews. This market far extends beyond Amazon and extends into everything from Yelp reviews to paid Facebook/Twitter/YouTube followers. This is also last year's news.

http://www.seattletimes.com/business/amazon/amazon-sues-to-block-fake-reviews-on-its-site/

Nobody said the game was fair. Your competitors know this already.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Whine all you want. Amazon is the only winner here. Not you. If you're at the size these merchants are you'd probably be buying these fake reviews. This market far extends beyond Amazon and extends into everything from Yelp reviews to paid Facebook/Twitter/YouTube followers. This is also last year's news.

http://www.seattletimes.com/business/amazon/amazon-sues-to-block-fake-reviews-on-its-site/

Nobody said the game was fair. Your competitors know this already.

False.

I win.

My competitors use fake reviews. I don't. They now can't sleep at night. I can.

[HASHTAG]#winning[/HASHTAG]

D

Deleted35442

False.

I win.

My competitors use fake reviews. I don't. They now can't sleep at night. I can.

[HASHTAG]#winning[/HASHTAG]
Okay, Mr. Politics Phobist.

I don't know what you do, nor care what you do. Whether true or not, it's one empirical example.

Products with more social proof generate more sales. An obvious capped/scripted review posted by some amateur will obviously raise red flags. If done properly, your competitors always win. The guy with 90 quality, real by all appearance reviews will always win against the guy with 10 genuine reviews.

Your [HASHTAG]#winning[/HASHTAG] is therefore moot, irrelevant. Go up against a guy with better convincing social proof than you: you'll lose. You're doing a disservice to this whole community saying otherwise. Our illusion of social proof of our hoax app had us featured in GQ, Vice, VentureBeat, NY Daily News, Washington Post, etc. It works, if you do it right, and you'll always have the upper hand. People post constantly on Craigslist and others to have Yelp Elite users give them glowing reviews of their business. You can police it all you want like Amazon is trying to do. It won't go away. Lastly, I sleep just fine.

Update: Lol this. http://how-to-post-fake-reviews-on-amazon.blogspot.com/

Last edited by a moderator:

SEBASTlAN

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Dec 22, 2014
Los Angeles
http://images.internetretailer.com/IR/2016/050216_Amazon_FakeReview_Lawsuit.pdf

There are only three sites targeted in the suit, but hopefully this will hint at things to come, namely getting rid of the "In exchange for an honest review" BS.

Exactly, theres way more than 3, and along with fiverr this problem will be around for a while.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TTG SS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Sep 3, 2014
Scottsdale, AZ
IMO, the true review groups that leave unbiased reviews are not a bad thing.

Many of the reviewers do write high quality reviews and often leave images/videos. This helps give you a true idea of what the product is really like, and not just what it looks like in the "enhanced photos".

I think straight up paid/fake reviews are unethical and not worth doing, but I believe the legitimate review groups do provide some value to the shoppers.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States
IMO, the true review groups that leave unbiased reviews are not a bad thing.

Many of the reviewers do write high quality reviews and often leave images/videos. This helps give you a true idea of what the product is really like, and not just what it looks like in the "enhanced photos".

I think straight up paid/fake reviews are unethical and not worth doing, but I believe the legitimate review groups do provide some value to the shoppers.

The only "honest" review is one done by an impartial party who paid full price for your product.

Review groupies know the expectation is to leave 5-stars, and the over whelming majority of them do just that.

In this way, I think it does a dis-service to the consumer.

That being said, I use groups anyways, just to gain that initial traction on my listings. 30-40 units or so. I don't use the same groups each time, and I sleep just fine.

TTG SS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Sep 3, 2014
Scottsdale, AZ
The only "honest" review is one done by an impartial party who paid full price for your product.

Review groupies know the expectation is to leave 5-stars, and the over whelming majority of them do just that.

In this way, I think it does a dis-service to the consumer.

That being said, I use groups anyways, just to gain that initial traction on my listings. 30-40 units or so. I don't use the same groups each time, and I sleep just fine.

I would agree many do leave biased "unbiased" reviews, lol. I still stand by that the pictures and videos do add some value for the customers.

Still I think if not abused then it is well within the TOS. IMO, the review groups are different then outright paid reviews which to my understanding manipulate the system and show as "verified reviews", as if the products were bought at full price.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.