The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Amazon FBA getting way to expensive?

A post of a ranting nature...

MakeMoreMoves

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 19, 2015
So I have been developing my product and got everything ready to send to FBA.

Was going to sell product for $20. My competitors are around $16. My jaw just dropped when I saw the FBA fee. I really don't remember it being that high, since I use to sell on there for fun years ago. $15 in fees... I didn't even put in the cost to make the product, shipping to FBA and advertising. I am in full negative now. If I increase my price $25, I will be the most expensive price out there and still my margin will be dead low. I am also kind of forced to FBA my product since every competitor is FBA.
How is anyone suppose to profit? I am also thinking of my competitors being in full negative as well because I know the price point to make my specific item. But I see their sponsored ads on amazon, so they definetly got wiggle room. What am I doing wrong here?

Every product I seem to import the shipping costs more than the actual product. My product is only the size of your hand. I use to think I knew tons about ecommerce, but this just smacked me in the face.

Discuss. anyone else in same boat?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
So I have been developing my product and got everything ready to send to FBA.

Was going to sell product for $20. My competitors are around $16. My jaw just dropped when I saw the FBA fee. I really don't remember it being that high, since I use to sell on there for fun years ago. $15 in fees... I didn't even put in the cost to make the product, shipping to FBA and advertising. I am in full negative now. If I increase my price $25, I will be the most expensive price out there and still my margin will be dead low. I am also kind of forced to FBA my product since every competitor is FBA.
How is anyone suppose to profit? I am also thinking of my competitors being in full negative as well because I know the price point to make my specific item. But I see their sponsored ads on amazon, so they definetly got wiggle room. What am I doing wrong here?

Every product I seem to import the shipping costs more than the actual product. My product is only the size of your hand. I use to think I knew tons about ecommerce, but this just smacked me in the face.

Discuss. anyone else in same boat?

You're doing something wrong.

Here's a recent sale from a $19.99 item of mine.

ace9165e274a31922cea3c2108d19829_zps7aruqoyy.png

Also, regardless of your price point or sales channel, you HAVE to know your costs before you even start working on a new product. Even if it was a $15 fee, it shouldn't have been a surprise to you.

FBA Fee Calculator: https://sellercentral.amazon.com/hz/fba/profitabilitycalculator/index?lang=en_US

FBA Fee Explanation: https://services.amazon.com/fulfillment-by-amazon/pricing.htm

MakeMoreMoves

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 19, 2015
You're doing something wrong.

Here's a recent sale from a $19.99 item of mine.

ace9165e274a31922cea3c2108d19829_zps7aruqoyy.png

Also, regardless of your price point or sales channel, you HAVE to know your costs before you even start working on a new product. Even if it was a $15 fee, it shouldn't have been a surprise to you.

FBA Fee Calculator: https://sellercentral.amazon.com/hz/fba/profitabilitycalculator/index?lang=en_US

FBA Fee Explanation: https://services.amazon.com/fulfillment-by-amazon/pricing.htm

...yeah, probably. I just assummed Amazon would not be that high. But good news, as of checking right now. It seems that there was an update an the total fees are about $7. Had no idea why $15 came up before. Thanks

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
You need to negotiate better prices. Switch to ocean freight once a product takes off too.

It's all about the profit margin. Start with at least 50% out of the gate.

MotiveInMotion

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 14, 2016
Independent

ZeroExile

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Sep 10, 2014
Florida
I'm also suffering from this problem. Not because of any errors, mostly warehouse charges, FBA fees, inbound transportation fees, they are adding up a lot quicker than I imagined but I still have a very good profit margin considering my inventory is essentially free or very cheap.

VS-Recruit

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Mar 12, 2016
Dubai, UAE
I'm also suffering from this problem. Not because of any errors, mostly warehouse charges, FBA fees, inbound transportation fees, they are adding up a lot quicker than I imagined but I still have a very good profit margin considering my inventory is essentially free or very cheap.

Even if your competitors are selling at $16 you can still price it at $22-25 if you private label your product with a better packaging of your product.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.