• Discuss Entrepreneurship | Start-Ups | Starting a Business | Wealth | Money | Success | Investing
  1. Escape the Grind. Resurrect The Dream. Live Happily Ever After.

Become an UNSCRIPTED™Entrepreneur.

Don’t just build a business—build a life and a legacy. UNSCRIPTED™ Entrepreneurship is a specific subset of business creation that awakens dreams, frees time, and explodes incomes—but more importantly, it changes lives.

Make no mistake; this isn’t something you “try”— this is something you live.
    KICKSTART YOUR PERSONAL REVOLUTION TODAY.
    Get The Book(s) Download More Info Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Change Yourself.
Change Your Life.
Change The World.

Tired of broke bloggers giving you advice? Within minutes, get millionaire advice from real entrepreneurs who live the dream.

Notable! AMA: Rehabbing & Flipping - Ask Me Anything

Discussion in 'Real Estate Investing' started by JScott, Oct 7, 2013.

FORUM SEARCH

Need answers about entrepreneurship? Search FIRST! More than likely your entrepreneurial topic has already been discussed.
Powered by Google Site Search.
  1. JScott

JScott Platinum Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $22,042
    1. We are getting into the $1M+ range, but that's mostly building new construction or doing big projects (adding a second story on a ranch or adding significant square footage). For pure flips, we're still in the $100-300K range.

2. We'd love to get into multi-family (and that was our original plan back in 2008), but I got distracted from 2012-2016 when the multi-family market was booming. I think I missed the boat during this cycle (unfortunately), and don't believe multi-family is a good segment to be focusing on right now. But, that's still a goal.

3. I like new construction more than rehabbing, simply because the process is less error-prone and you're less likely to run into surprises. It certainly takes some experience to be able to build efficiently, so it's not something I would recommend any jump into before they get their feet wet doing less complex rehabs. If you're going to jump into new construction, find someone who's done it before and do whatever you can to get them to show you the ropes. There really are a ridiculous amount of small details that can kill your project if you're not prepared for them.

4. I still shoot for 15%. I was getting 20% for a long time; these days, I'm closer to 15%. For a new investor, I think 10% is too thin and doesn't leave enough cushion to deal with surprises or a market correction.

5. I dislike stocks -- I don't feel like I have any control. Flipping is a great way to build capital, but I don't consider it a retirement strategy. Personally, rental properties, lending and passive business control are my preferred vehicles for retirement. For tax reasons, I lend out of my self-directed 401K and fund rentals and businesses out of my taxable savings.

Action Mike and LiveHappy like this.
  2. LiveHappy

LiveHappy Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $278
    Thank you J! This is great feedback!

1. I figured this was a good deal and not too common. I will continue to do deals with him so long as he wants and they are going well. If we wants me to also finance the rehab portion I would not mind doing so. I really like this set up as it requires almost no time on my end as I am pretty much just putting my money to work. What I don't like about it is that I don't have a lot of control over my outcome, and if he decides not to do any more deals I will be SOL until I can find someone else. Which is why I am looking into getting my own flipping business going by doing the minimum necessary for maximum effect ("minimum effective load" - to use a Tim Ferris term, and I know if Josh Dorkin were reading this now he'd be cringing lol).

2. So in analyzing the "Four Flippin Boxes" for Minimum effective load...

Acquisition - Combined with financing in an example ($500 per hour) it seems to have a good minimum effective load. It seems like out of everything to learn, if i had to choose this would be one of them if I based it on the ROI of time. I was however actually afraid you'd say this, bc if I'm honest its the part of the business that seems least attractive to me lol I think for this I would want to start with wholesalers (if I can find some that bring me deals that are actually good), if I find that Im not getting many deals, I will likely have to look into learning this side of the business and then outsourcing whatever parts I can, i.e. answering service etc.

Financing - This is an interesting part of the business, and again a great minimum effective load. I've always considered this to be a part that I would be doing myself. I paid the house that we got in full, however in speaking to other flippers that Ive met it seems they prefer to finance. At first my plan was to keep rolling over my profits and using the power of compounding. I have a FT job so I wouldn't need the money to live on. So I would keep funding deals until I can fund 2 at a time, then 3 at a time etc. After speaking with some flippers however I don't know if this is the best strategy. I met one flipper that used lines of credit to fund his deals. They are unsecured so he doesn't have any skin in the game if something goes wrong, aside from his credit score of course. I think its smart as he is leveraging a lot more, and has an insane ROI, however it also seems like he is over leveraged and kind of scary. Would you be willing to share your preference on financing your deals?

Rehabbing - this seems to have a poor minimum effective load ($15 per hour), but I guess what I'm trying to figure out is if a good GC/Project Mgr should be taking 90% of the work off my hands, what would the 10% look like. I guess the gc I would bee looking for would be one that already has a rehab company and does work for other investors. I would get a bid from them to rehab the house and if the numbers work hire them (I know there is a lot of info regarding this in your book even on how to pay them and who buys materials etc. but my question is - do you think some GCs would be able to come up with what finishes to use etc. based on the area, or would that be my 10% input. Or do I really want them making that choice? Would you consider this to be one of the things worth learning about the rehab - or that has a good minimum effective load?

On the sale side - it's kind of a toss up for me right now. I would feel very comfortable getting a RE license, however I don't have a network to be able to actually market the houses. I would only be able to list them.

Thank you again for your help with this - I am very grateful. Separately I think I saw some posts on BP about you speaking at events. If this is accurate do you have any plans of coming by San Antonio, TX?

3. LiveHappy

LiveHappy Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $278
    Hi J! Great info here. Would you mind expanding on how a self-directing IRA helps your taxes? I met an investor that uses Quest, but I was not aware of the tax benefits.

4. LiveHappy

LiveHappy Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $278
    Hi J, I think you mentioned prior in this thread that you might be working on a systems book, is that accurate? If so, any approximation on the release date?

-LiveHappy

Action Mike likes this.
  5. JScott

Rep Bank:
    $22,042
    I'm working on a few different things, but the scaling/systems book is low on the list, simply because I've come to the conclusion that there isn't a big audience for that book (unfortunately)... While I love the topic, there aren't a lot of investors in a position where they are consistently doing deals, but haven't figured out how to scale their business. Most of them are still figuring out the basics, and many of those who are past that point either don't want to scale or figure it out on their own.

Sorry about that...

MidwestLandlord, LiveHappy and jon.a like this.
  6. StevieB

StevieB Bronze Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,342
    What's your opinion on flipping homes vs. short term rental?

It seems like flipping requires more work, but you get more cash out of it in a shorter time. Short term rentals, once the home is setup is more passive but the cash takes time to accumulate. It seems like it would make more sense to do flipping in the beginning to build up cash, then go into rentals for more passive income. Unless you had another primary income as opposed to flipping homes.

7. JScott

Rep Bank:
    $22,042
    What do you mean by "short term" rentals?

Regardless, I definitely agree that the best strategy is to focus on some form of active income creation and then use that income to plow into passive investments. Using flipping as that active income creation and rentals as the passive investment is one form of that, and I consider that to be a great strategy. In fact, that's what I would recommend to anyone starting out in real estate who wants long term financial freedom.

jon.a likes this.