The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Am i throwing in the towel?

Byakko

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Apr 20, 2017
Lisbon, Portugal
When is it ok to give up?

This reminded me of a quote I read somewhere not long ago. And it went something like this:

"Give up when the prize you'll get if your endeavor succeeds, no longer has meaning to you. Keep going if you found a barrier that after having been overcome will get you closer to a goal that's meaningful to you"

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

John D.

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Aug 26, 2016
I'm not providing any real value, i'm just trying to launch a "different" product among the thousands of others chasing money.
Try thinking about it not as simply being 'different' rather being 'more useful' than the rest.

Is there a way to validate the demand for your new product? It's usefulness? The scope and the intensity of the value you are providing?

I'm no expert but one thing I've learned is that you gotta listen to the market.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Jun 29, 2011
While I do think there is opportunity selling on Amazon, I think you're on the right path. The "get a sample" route is well traveled. It's not likely that you find a product that tens of thousands of people haven't found yet. If I were to go down this path again, I'd research the market and find out what they like/dislike about the current offerings. I'd feel more confident going to market with an improved product tailored to my market's desires than a "me too" product with better copy and pictures. I wouldn't say you're giving up as much as you're adjusting based on your results. Trust your gut.

Byakko

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Apr 20, 2017
Lisbon, Portugal
While yes, my goal is money. My real goal is freedom for me and for my family. If i where to succeed on amazon i'd only be switching one boss for another.

I think I get your point. In my opinion you'll always have some kind of boss. The degree in which he has control over your life and how much attention he needs is what's going to change. Even if you'd do e-commerce out of amazon, you would still have bosses. They're called clients. And they have a lot of power over anyone that has a business.

Regarding your search for freedom, I empathize with it. Personally, freedom is something that I'm also looking for. Freedom for me is about feeling I'm capable of taking ever growing responsibilities. Example: As of now, I wouldn't be able to take care of my parents if they needed money for some kind of expensive medical treatment. Therefore, if next year I'm able to do that, then I'd be freer than I am today.

Can you define what freedom is for you?

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
While I do think there is opportunity selling on Amazon, I think you're on the right path. The "get a sample" route is well traveled. It's not likely that you find a product that tens of thousands of people haven't found yet. If I were to go down this path again, I'd research the market and find out what they like/dislike about the current offerings. I'd feel more confident going to market with an improved product tailored to my market's desires than a "me too" product with better copy and pictures. I wouldn't say you're giving up as much as you're adjusting based on your results. Trust your gut.
It seems that @SeanLewis has followed the crowd on that "get a sample" route, without knowing any better. There are in fact better ways to go.

You can find products that tens of thousands of people haven't found. You just need to know where to look, and I can tell you unequivocally that it is not on Alibaba or similar.

Relying entirely on Amazon is a recipe for disaster. Start your own eCommerce site, and avoid Amazon's TOS restrictions on contacting your (their) customers, by incorporating your own URL in your label or as an integral part of the product.

Make sure your website will grab and hold their attention even if they only visit out of curiosity when they see the URL on the product they bought from you via Amazon. Ideally offer something relevant to them at a price they can't resist. You will then have their contact details.

You don't have to get your supplier to do the labeling or branding for you, provided you can ship the goods to your premises. It can be cheaper to arrange for the labeling or branding to be done in your home country than it would cost to have it done in China.

Problems are just solutions waiting to be found.

Walter

SeanLewis

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Aug 7, 2019
Sweden
Some of you might have seen my progress thread.

In that thread i explained that i launched my first product on amazon back in december 2018, and i still havent launched another one.

I've really tried moving past this mental "block" i've ordered multiple product samples in different niches but i just can't take that jump and order again.

Why?

Because i don't believe in selling on amazon anymore.

I'm not providing any real value, i'm just trying to launch a "different" product among the thousands of others chasing money.

On one hand i want to continue because i don't want to give up, but on the other i want to close down my UK company and start something in my own country.

is this giving up?

Monkeycom

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Aug 20, 2019
UK

In that thread i explained that i launched my first product on amazon back in december 2018, and i still havent launched another one.

I've really tried moving past this mental "block" i've ordered multiple product samples in different niches but i just can't take that jump and order again.

Why?

On one hand i want to continue because i don't want to give up, but on the other i want to close down my UK company and start something in my own country.

is this giving up?

I guess you've been lucky enough to never know what's like to be broke!

SeanLewis

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Aug 7, 2019
Sweden
I felt the exact same way hence I moved on. Just selling random products didn’t appeal and building a brand solely on amazon didn’t either.

I’ve had my account suspended on a couple of occasions for silly things out of my control and you can’t have that hanging over your company. Amazon is fine as part of an overall marketing strategy but this “I’m starting an fba business” is absolute bullshit these days.

I'm not done with ecommerce but i'm done with amazon for now. Maybe I'll use amazon as one of my sales channels at a later stage but i don't want to depend on it.

SeanLewis

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Aug 7, 2019
Sweden
This reminded me of a quote I read somewhere not long ago. And it went something like this:

"Give up when the prize you'll get if your endeavor succeeds, no longer has meaning to you. Keep going if you found a barrier that after having been overcome will get you closer to a goal that's meaningful to you"

I like this quote.

While yes, my goal is money. My real goal is freedom for me and for my family. If i where to succeed on amazon i'd only be switching one boss for another.

Achieve_Bay

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 5, 2019
personally speaking, I believe having a purpose behind the hustle is just as important as making the money. If you feel like you're not working up to your full potential there's nothing wrong with taking a moment to re-think new ways you can make money in a more valuable way.
I think any good entrepreneur has had to take breathers and re-evaluate what they're doing

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas

I question why you need us to tell you to do what you already know you need to do.

If you need more motivation, look more into why sticking with Amazon is not in your interest. Then move on. You are not giving up as much as no longer seeing Amazon as the best option for you and your goals. You have grown. You have changed.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I feel giving up would be the right term if you were failing/didn't sell anything and you stop trying.

You just don't see purpose in this anymore. You're not giving up, you wanna move to better pastures/do something better/that you like more etc.

You can do that anytime you want.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England

Why?

is this giving up?

I felt the exact same way hence I moved on. Just selling random products didn’t appeal and building a brand solely on amazon didn’t either.

I’ve had my account suspended on a couple of occasions for silly things out of my control and you can’t have that hanging over your company. Amazon is fine as part of an overall marketing strategy but this “I’m starting an fba business” is absolute bullshit these days.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.