The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Am I getting too hung up on the details?

webedgemedia

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Sep 19, 2019
Hello all,

Thanks to the Millionaire Fastlane , and advice on this forum, I'm now in the process of building a user review website with the goal of users being able to review events within the chosen niche. The build is going decently well so far. It's amazing how fast time flies by when working dilligently on the site!

Here's the issue. I'm building the site with Wordpress, and purchased a theme that looked perfect on the surface. The main concern is while users can indeed leave detailed reviews (they leave their name and email in the process), they can't create an account which allows them to see reviews they've left in the past. I'm still in the idea validation stage, so my main goal is to get eyes on the site and see how the public responds. Am I overthinking the fact that users can't create an account? The theme developers have mentioned maybe adding this feature down the road but there is no guarantee that it will come.

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

tylerwilkinson

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Sep 25, 2019
Rhode Island
Hello all,

Thanks to the Millionaire Fastlane , and advice on this forum, I'm now in the process of building a user review website with the goal of users being able to review events within the chosen niche. The build is going decently well so far. It's amazing how fast time flies by when working dilligently on the site!

Here's the issue. I'm building the site with Wordpress, and purchased a theme that looked perfect on the surface. The main concern is while users can indeed leave detailed reviews (they leave their name and email in the process), they can't create an account which allows them to see reviews they've left in the past. I'm still in the idea validation stage, so my main goal is to get eyes on the site and see how the public responds. Am I overthinking the fact that users can't create an account? The theme developers have mentioned maybe adding this feature down the road but there is no guarantee that it will come.

Thanks!
As a consumer I like having the option to make an account, provided it isn’t complicated, which also being able to just leave my 2¢ and move on.

Also. Accounts could increase review accuracy and discourage fake reviews.

webedgemedia

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Sep 19, 2019
As a consumer I like having the option to make an account, provided it isn’t complicated, which also being able to just leave my 2¢ and move on.

Also. Accounts could increase review accuracy and discourage fake reviews.

Thanks for the feedback. That's a good point about the fake reviews. From the beginning my gut feeling has been that I want users to create an account to leave reviews. It will be a bummer to lose all my work and investment in the theme. At least I've gotten some good experience using Wordpress.

Genius01

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Dec 18, 2017
Nigeria
Thanks for the feedback. That's a good point about the fake reviews. From the beginning my gut feeling has been that I want users to create an account to leave reviews. It will be a bummer to lose all my work and investment in the theme. At least I've gotten some good experience using Wordpress.
Yea, but I still think you can start.
When you've validated the idea and see that people are actually leaving reviews, then you can develop the account creating thingy.
Its WordPress, so I don't think it should be too difficult to find another theme or plugin that does exactly what you want (or can be customized to do what you want).
But by then you would have validated the idea, gotten some engagement, and that will encourage and justify further investment into the site.

So I think its better you start as you are, with its current state, and find a way to develop adding accounts later on when/if the idea proves to be a good one.

webedgemedia

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Sep 19, 2019
So I think its better you start as you are, with its current state, and find a way to develop adding accounts later on when/if the idea proves to be a good one.

That's a good way to look at it. I don't know how the public is going to respond to it, but with the current setup I can get it launched in 1-2 weeks since it's mostly built. Then I can get eyes on it sooner and see how it goes rather than building out a whole new site.

I've found it quite challenging to find a good looking, cost-effective setup on Wordpress for user reviews where the user must create a profile in order to leave a review. Plus I'd like user to be able to see there reviews in their user dashboard. Maybe I just haven't found it yet but I've scoured places like Theme Forest looking for a perfect fit. I looked at another site using WP that is doing exactly what I'm aiming for. They had a site design firm do the build on theirs.

Genius01

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Dec 18, 2017
Nigeria
That's a good way to look at it. I don't know how the public is going to respond to it, but with the current setup I can get it launched in 1-2 weeks since it's mostly built. Then I can get eyes on it sooner and see how it goes rather than building out a whole new site.
Way to go.

I've found it quite challenging to find a good looking, cost-effective setup on Wordpress for user reviews where the user must create a profile in order to leave a review. Plus I'd like user to be able to see there reviews in their user dashboard. Maybe I just haven't found it yet but I've scoured places like Theme Forest looking for a perfect fit. I looked at another site using WP that is doing exactly what I'm aiming for. They had a site design firm do the build on theirs.
Don't know much about setting up websites, so can't advise on that.
I guess maybe @Fox may have some things to say on that, since he built his business on web design, and runs a web design school (I think), ....or he may tag some other guys who can advise on that.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I’d recommend considering a switch now to the best possible theme or software you can use. It will be quite frustrating later if you got to switch and waiting for developers to update can be a long time/never.

When you don’t have full control (on someone else’s system) also go with the best and most solid option.

The longer time goes on the more work and hassle goes into a switch. So just make sure at this stage you are on the right system.

The rest sounds good - wish you all the best.

webedgemedia

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Sep 19, 2019
I’d recommend considering a switch now to the best possible theme or software you can use. It will be quite frustrating later if you got to switch and waiting for developers to update can be a long time/never.

I'm currently using a theme called MyListing, and on the surface it had everything I wanted. Honestly though, I have just been eager to start, so jumped on something too quickly. The theme is built around users being able to submit listings to the site directory. My hope was to ignore this aspect, and instead use the other nice features that fit nicely with my site concept. However, the lack of user profiles not built around listings is troubling. There doesn't seem to be an easy alternative either. I'm currently reaching out to developers to see if implementing the style of profiles I'm looking for is possible with this theme.

Thanks for your input! If you have any recommendations for hiring a Wordpress developer, I'd be grateful.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.