The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Am I disobeying the Commandment of Entry? Help me decide which client segment to pursue

kevcon80

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Dec 16, 2019
Hey there. I have a SaaS business I am starting, a learning tool for people who are learning to code. It helps you learn the syntax and the underlying concepts much faster than any other form of note-taking I have experimented with - physical writing, electronic notes, and even following along with demos. All in a nice UI which syncs across devices.

I'm currently struggling to determine which client segment I should start pre-selling to to gather interest and potentially gain valuable feedback.

I've identified three markets:

1) End users - people who wish to learn code. This could be a freshman in college, a student in a coding bootcamp, or someone who is a already a web developer, looking to pickup iOS and Android development.

2) Content / Course Creators - People who sell courses online. I plan to offer a "Teacher's plan", which would allow a content creator to make a set of learning materials on my web app, which students who buy their course can access for free. They can include this in their up-sell to increase profit on their course, or just add it as a benefit to the core offering to improve the value skew.

3) Bootcamps / Universities - Organizations who benefit from having the best learning tools for their students. Here, I imagine, is where the money is. However, it is also the most difficult to break into.

My initial thought is to target #2, as they are a sweet spot of being willing to spend money, but easily accessible. But re-reading Unscripted , I'm unsure. The Commandment of Entry seems to say that I should investigate option #3. I've also considered creating three separate landing pages, doing triple the marketing work, and seeing which group shows the most interest.

So, where do you think I should focus?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I don't see any COE violation. Congrats on providing a service that seems to have value.

Unfortunately there is no right answer on what/who to target except this: ALL OF THEM.

Channel surfing
(finding the right channels and audiences for your product) is part of entrepreneurship and growing a business.

So in effect, I'd try them all.

Pareto (80/20) applies here... usually ONE or TWO channels will make up most of your sales.

It is your job to find them.

And then once you find it, hit it hard. You've identified three options. No need to exclude one over the other unless there is evidence of non-performance.

Hope this helps.

SEBASTlAN

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Dec 22, 2014
Los Angeles
Even if you did, entry is one of the commandments you can violate and still be successful, if you can position your product/service in a unique way (imo).

Bhanu

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Oct 23, 2017
Please add
-Software companies in your target market. They are always on look for tools which can help them train employees quickly and with ease. Your tools fits the bill perfectly .
-Coaching/training centers who train people to code . In my country there are plenty such training centers .Some really big .They will be more than happy to purchase your tool if they find it helpful .

If you get time do read book called Blue Ocean strategy and apply it in your business. It will prove quite helpful .

kevcon80

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Dec 16, 2019

Thanks MJ, this is in line with what I was thinking as well when I was saying I'd build three separate landing pages. Agreed that it's just a guess until I test them all.

-Software companies in your target market. They are always on look for tools which can help them train employees quickly and with ease. Your tools fits the bill perfectly .

-Coaching/training centers who train people to code . In my country there are plenty such training centers .Some really big .They will be more than happy to purchase your tool if they find it helpful .

Thanks Bhanu, I'd include these in category three (enterprises that have incentive to provide high-quality training tools to their employees / students). This is my best guess at where the 80/20 value skew falls, but I won't be sure until I get there. Would you be able to name some examples of the training centers you are thinking of for me?

Bhanu

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Oct 23, 2017
Thanks MJ, this is in line with what I was thinking as well when I was saying I'd build three separate landing pages. Agreed that it's just a guess until I test them all.

Thanks Bhanu, I'd include these in category three (enterprises that have incentive to provide high-quality training tools to their employees / students). This is my best guess at where the 80/20 value skew falls, but I won't be sure until I get there. Would you be able to name some examples of the training centers you are thinking of for me?

Hi please check institute :NIIT: Leading Corporate Training Company in India | IT, Digital Marketing, Data Analytics, BFSI Courses
This is one of the biggest training institute in India which train many people for Software jobs .
There are many such institutes . A simple google search for coaching center for IT in India can give you few more names. I am not sure if your country has such training institutes but in my country these coaching centers are quite big and earn huge money. As training job aspirants in Software technolgies,cloud etc is their main offering they will be more than happy to have a look at your product and purchase if they think its worth it.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
I don't see any COE violation. Congrats on providing a service that seems to have value.

Unfortunately there is no right answer on what/who to target except this: ALL OF THEM.

Channel surfing
(finding the right channels and audiences for your product) is part of entrepreneurship and growing a business.

Pareto (80/20) applies here... usually ONE or TWO channels will make up most of your sales.

It is your job to find them.

And then once you find it, hit it hard. You've identified three options. No need to exclude one over the other unless there is evidence of non-performance.

Hope this helps.

Stole the words out of my mouth.

The answer to “what should I do?” is usually “yes”

The next step is to create content, create tiers of customers and build an audience through education.

Study this article

And then think about how to become the guy who’s articles get shared for being so useful...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.