The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

INTRO (Almost) happy slowlaner here - looking for advice

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

flyingdev

New Contributor
Apr 24, 2017
London
Hi,
its been few years since I read Fastlane Millionaire, I tried few things in the meantime, but looks like I really enjoy slowlane. I have good job (Software Engineer), making good money and live in Europe, where there are this perks like free health service and lot of holidays days (33 in my case). But I do small steps towards financial independence, and I am really watching every cent spend. I am not after fancy car, expensive electronic etc etc.
I am looking for advice - I have say to spend 10k $ freely and I wonder what should I do. Amazon FBA looks tempting - but not sure if its something that I really want to try, for sure not with more expensive or troublesome products. Looks like I am stuck in my comfort zone, which is not bad, but there is still that itch that I could make better..

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

volodya

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Mar 15, 2018
Vancouver, BC, Canada
There are some contradictions in your message.
If you are as comfortable as you claim to be, why the itch to spend $10k on FBA?
What is the reason you are coming to this forum and engaging with people here? What is the underlying unhappiness that’s driving you to ask questions here?
What would you like to do in life that you currently cannot do? And what’s preventing you?
By the way, nothing wrong with wanting a steady job and little to no stress in life. That’s a good position too.

flyingdev

New Contributor
Apr 24, 2017
London
Thanks for your posts.

As comfortable as I am, I know, if I won't change something, I won't be able to pursue few dreams of mine - owning a plane (although I will be able to fly 25-50 hours a year with current income), early retirement at 50 yo. Plus, I have the feeling that I should not take current reality for granted - last year showed it very well. I don't know how the IT market will look like in 10-20 years. The more money I have, I will be more independent.

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
You might want to go back and reread/listen to The Millionaire Fastlane or - better yet - read UNSCRIPTED. MJ speaks to being comfortable and what the "script" does to make us comfortable in the slow lane. If we're comfortable in the slow lane we are less likely to rock the boat.

Having said that, I frequently urge caution to those thinking about entrepreneurship. This is not for the weak of heart or those uncomfortable with uncertainty. Yes it has it's rewards. But there are risks. Having said that - a job and being a "MODEL" citizen also has risks. Only you can decide if it's right for you. And there's nothing wrong with admitting you're comfortable and satisfied in the slow lane as long as it is an informed decision you are willing to live with in the end.

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
I am not after fancy car, expensive electronic etc etc.

But you want a six- or seven-figure plane? There's really no difference between someone aspiring for a "fancy car" and someone wanting his own plane, in fact, the latter is far more expensive and burdensome.

That said, looks like you got a great skill base to dive into some ideas.

Problem is, you're comfortable. And comfortable people generally don't do what it takes as they lack a driving purpose, or a why.

volodya

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Mar 15, 2018
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Thanks for your posts.

As comfortable as I am, I know, if I won't change something, I won't be able to pursue few dreams of mine - owning a plane (although I will be able to fly 25-50 hours a year with current income), early retirement at 50 yo. Plus, I have the feeling that I should not take current reality for granted - last year showed it very well. I don't know how the IT market will look like in 10-20 years. The more money I have, I will be more independent.

All good points.
One day I was having a coffee with a local entrepreneur who's built a number of successful companies, sold them, top 40 under 40 recipient etc. He and I were discussing our businesses and because he's well known people reach out to him often. He gets asked one question more than any other, by people who are not yet business owners: "should I do it?". Meaning, because of his fame, people would tell him "this is what I do, I am thinking of going on my own, being my own boss etc. should I do it?" His answer is always "if you are asking, that means the answer is no, you should not."

We debated this for a while and I understood his position and this is why I am sharing it with you. Entrepreneurship is not all sunshine and roses. It's a gruelling, at times downright depressing. And other times easy money and happy times. It is a roller coaster of emotions, crazy work hours and unpredictable outcomes. Some people love that roller-coaster and go "Yeah, let's do it again" and others come off puking and saying "never again". If you don't have the fortitude to march on during the hard times, you will give up too soon and likely fail.

In short - most of us are not rational in our pursuit of entrepreneurship. We are driven by either the inspiration (of nice things or freedom) or the desperation (having to act because we have no other option). That type of energy helps succeed when others give up.

As long as you are comfortable - I am not sure you'll have enough energy to push through to get to the other side. But stay on here and maybe that itch that brought you to make this post will grow bigger and bigger, one day so big you won't be able to ignore it and become very uncomfortable :).

SEOguy

SEO Expert
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Dec 22, 2014
Los Angeles
I am looking for advice - I have say to spend 10k $ freely and I wonder what should I do.

As a software engineer, surely you have seen a problem or two pop up in your industry. Why not solve those? It could at the very least make your life & workload much easier.

MachineEarning

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Dec 13, 2019
Austin
Hi FlyingDev, it is great to be thinking this way.
It is possible to be comfortable while building a company if it is moving you closer to your goals. This is a state of mind. Imagine that you are in a luxury hotel, with the finest food and drink, but in the back of your mind you know that it is costing you $20,000/night. Would this still be comfortable?
If you have a dream of building empires, then working for someone else is not comfortable.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Not sure how to start? This free book will teach you how to build a successful web design business
If there’s one thread I see repeated over and over again on the forum, it goes like this: “I...
MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2021
Any scholarship programs for those who can't afford the course? Broke but need this course :)...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
It's an affiliate link, so it's hard to give those up! The affiliate links are automatically...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
A week ago someone asked if one of my courses is still relevant (referring to the Upwork...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Thanks for clearing that up. What do you recommend for those who are still in the process of...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
I have not offered one of these in a while, but it looks like I have time to take on an...

What are Fastlaners Currently Reading?

Forum Sponsor

Grow an online business:
- Start immediately!
- Master business skills!
- 100+ Fastlane students enrolled!
Review & Details >

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads