The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Alex Hormozi. What is your opinion? Mine is (mostly) negative.

Guru

Woosah

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
235%
Jan 6, 2022
Is this like, coffee time with the girls or something?

My opinion, since you asked, is - instead of polluting the forum with gossip like this, why not just take those "good tips" you've learned from him, apply them, and avoid doing what you think he's doing wrong—or odd.

1665700504986.png

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
518%
May 29, 2013
There is a lot of passive bro-hate in this thread over a guy that is more successful than prob 95% of this forum.

1. He tells you everything he is doing and will do.
  2. All of his stuff is FREE, except with the purchase you make on your own at Amazon for $0.99 - the guy makes basically nothing on it.
  3. His book at this launch was just his collectors hardcover book for what? $29 or something? Wait a few weeks when the softcover is printed and get it for $0.99 so he can make $0.30 on it... lol
  4. Dude has his newest book for FREE on his podcast, go listen to it for free instead of buying it.
  5. His podcast, youtube, and other material for free is also good.
  6. At some point this guy deserves to sell something at $2k and make money. You telling me you wouldn't if you were in his shoes? The funny thing is, most of you wouldn't have put the years of work into this like he did and executed like he did.. but would jump at the chance to sell some shitty course at $2k.
Quit the passive bro-hate

Dude is wearing a 70's Michigan Lumberjack mustache and a nose strip and is running circles on most of you... and you all can do is anticipate his sellout phase.

Spend that time on diesel and coffee.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
I didn't have the time to read through all of these posts but I need to comment.

I was one of Alex's original Gym Launch members. In fact, my business partner Gil was his "Sales Guru". He spoke at his events and was the Sales expert in his training portal.

There's a good and bad to Alex. The bad was that he grew too fast and didn't address issues that clients were having while he was growing. This is what lead many original members to leave Gym Launch. It seems like he eventually fixed this problem since Gym Launch continued to grow.

The good - I learned A LOT from him. Especially leads, advertising and marketing. In the early days of Gym Launch, we were getting an insane amount of leads and closing most of them. We had our gym completely packed out in the first year.

The better - he taught us how to do everything ourselves. He didn't run ads for us and get us the leads. He taught is how to do it. That is a valuable skill I have for life and can be used in any industry.

I transferred what I learned over to ERC and was getting 100x ad spend. I couldn't hire reps fast enough. I think I may have been the original ERC advertiser on Facebook. Then I started getting a massive amount of copycats.

As for Alex himself, he basically has taken everything he learned from reading, mentors, etc, over the years and he puts it in a compact, easy to understand version. He has a photographic memory which allows him to consume a massive amount of material and put out his on version of it.

He also understands human psychology. What gets people to click and what gets them to buy. He's a master at this.

If you listen to his audiobooks and take notes, I'm sure you will come up with hundreds of ideas for your business.

I personally think the guy is becoming one of the bigger names in the industry and for good reason. There is a lot to learn from him.

Having this negative view of him without even knowing him personally just tells me you're not ready for the next step. You have a lot of growing to do.

Maybe you need to listen to him more and implement what he's preaching.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
View attachment 50931
My 2 cents, after watchin a few videos of him...

Isn't this like the main reason we are all here?!

I find him personally very likeable, but that doesn't matter here. These two statements in the screenshot above speak volumes, don't they?

Some people have a very hard time with nuance.

Maybe I'm putting words in MJ's mouth but the original message that brought us together was "hey, this guy is teaching people how to get rich... but he only got rich by selling advice on... how to get rich... that's not right"

The original quote was a slam to Robert Kiyosaki (a well-deserved one, at that)... "What came first, your book or your black card?"

So that was the original "guru" that was referred to. Someone who didn't get rich before they started selling "how to get rich" stuff ...

And then, there's a whole host of people who got rich off of selling advice they would never use in a million years. Notably Suze Orman, Dave Ramsey, Jim Cramer -- their message was basically repeated for hundreds of years "buy, hold, and diversify" and "don't buy things, you don't deserve them", and "if you skip the wine and coffee, you'll be rich in 160 years" ...

Not only have we seen time and time again this formula doesn't work, but now many my age have seen their parents (who followed this advice), are financially destitute. Their financial advisors blame it on "oh the market is down when you decided to retire" or "don't worry, you get $1,000 a month of social security" (P.S. I paid off my dad's house in full years ago after the sale of my first business... he can no longer afford to live there because the property taxes are almost 1200/month. Insanity.)

Skipping ahead...

The forum has attracted a lot of angry young men and women lately who have taken these well-polished and well-thought-out ideas to the extreme.

They're just so rage-filled, they can't tell the difference between a "snake-oil salesman" and a real successful businessman.

Alex Hormozi and his wife Leila are PERFECT EXAMPLES of what MJ has taught and said. "Until you've DONE SOMETHING, you shouldn't be TEACHING IT."

They *did* the thing. They built 3 multi-million dollar businesses. They sold them for close to 100 million dollars. They bought into other businesses and now have a MASSIVE portfolio -- NONE of them have anything to do with financial education!

And now they are just sharing what they learned... in BOOKS... the same EXACT thing as the Fastlane Forum. It's literally a MIRROR IMAGE... and yet... they can't tell the difference because MJ likes his privacy and doesn't want that sort of fame/notoriety and these guys are okay with it.

This whole attitude of anyone who is more successful than me/more famous than me/more popular than me/smarter than me is automatically a "guru" as if it's some kind of slur -- is getting ridiculously old.

The thing that really gets me is I'm reading post after post after post from people complaining about "gurus" that I can't tell if we're on the Fastlane to Millions forum or the "anti-capitalism" subreddit. It's silly!

I know I was poking the bear bringing up Alex's live event but now I'm glad I did because this conversation needs to be had: the man is not a "Guru" (hard R) because he asked you to buy his book... at his book launch... that you signed up for...

It's past time to grow up and understand there's a little bit of nuance in every conversation.

P.S.

This is not a free pass to buy every course and coaching program on the planet because "Steve said there are no gurus" -- no, they're always going to be predators out there. There are a lot of people selling you "AI" or "SMMA" or whatever the biz opp of the day is that don't walk their talk or eat their own cooking.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
518%
May 29, 2013
People that aren't successful are typically the ones that think it's a scam.

Think about this way.

You already have ( I'm making this up, not sure how much Alex is worth or has ) $10m in the bank ( liquid ) and you are worth $100m on paper/assets. This number could be more or less. Again I made it up.

For a lot of people, the game isn't about retiring to a lake/ocean villa and then waiting to die.

Some people like to keep pressing forward. Think Musk, Gates, Branson, etc.

What's the best way to do that? Maybe own/start more companies after you have everything you want?

You don't need to do the rat race anymore, so what's an option to you now in doing so?

How about training people for free on social media? How about proving how good you are, people can't help but notice you and talk about you. How about getting all kinds of PR and eyeballs to you and your brand that shows you know your stuff.

How is this that much different than Shark Tank? Except, Alex doesn't have to go on TV and be pitched and fight for equity and royalities. People line up and and ask him, with no other competition ( sharks ).

Is Mr Wonderful a fraud? If he is so good why doesn't he start more of his own brands? Same for Mark Cuban. Same for all the others that came on the show. Why don't they just start their own brands instead of getting a piece of someone else's?

When people come to Alex, Alex now has the upper hand.

All those hours spent on making videos and sharing what he already knows, pays off in 1 acquisition more than likely ( for years and years, not just when he makes the deal ). But he is probably closing more than 1 deal so the return is very high.

He is making himself the goto source for systematically and rapidly growing your business. The authority almost.

Tell me why he WOULDN'T want to do this... lol

He doesn't have to build new companies, he just has people line up wanting him to take theirs. And he doesn't have to do anything for it but make more YouTube videos and podcasts and write more books while his team that he trained does all the legwork and grows the company.

This is how you turn 1 or 2 books, into multiple $10m+ companies each year that you own a % of.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Why are so many people in this thread angered by, annoyed by, or trying to justify the actions of a guy selling something?

I think you missed the point.

He claims he isn't selling anything.

But after peeling the onion back, he is indeed selling something.

And it's quite a large sell, to invite him into your company so he can take part in the scaling process, and hopefully, a large exit event.

For some, this strikes them as duplicitous and gives off a scumbag marketer vibe. You claim you aren't selling something, but you are.

That said, if he does indeed mention this in his book (which I haven't read) then it might come across as contradictory to some, which is my guess for the OP's original post.

This "I'm not selling anything but I am" is likely why some folks are feeling the wrong vibe.

Moreover, it is indeed impressive that people are being subjected to a marketing funnel, and don't even know it.

So clearly the guy knows what he's doing, and based on the responses in this thread, he's doing it quite phenomenally.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
This is exactly why the current generation (not you, folks much younger than you) is so dumb – they take life advice from all sorts of influencers, most whom are in no position to give advice of any kind. They don't know what to believe, and they end up believing that by some sort of magic, by being close to those people, something will rob off them, and they too will make lots of money. A ripoff of the law of attraction really.
Basically, everyone needs to be able to think for themselves and draw their own conclusions. But in order to do this, one must have some level of basic knowledge on a variety of subjects. There must be some skepticism in any person, book or new information. It's up to you to dig deeper into the information being presented.

I try to teach younger people to view any information that they receive in a 3 ways.

First, look at the info presented and run it through your normal everyday filter. Does the math work? Does it violates the laws of physics? Can pouring a substance in your gas tank or installing a vortex air filter give you better gas mileage? Can putting a lens over your headlights increase its brightness? These all violate the laws of physics.

Second, look at the source of the info. Does it come from a person or source that leans in a certain direction. What is this person's background. This is all about where the info came from. Not that actual information. Is it from MJ DeMarco or DJMedarco?

Third, look at the source's motivation. Is this source trying to sell you something? Get you to vote a certain way? Just because they are trying to sell you something doesn't discount the information as false, but it can give you insight to it. This is usually where they make a graph or table look better than it is.

Most kids just consume information as fact and don't ever take even the first step.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Again, if I'm selling a TV, and the market will only pay an average of $2,500 for a modern TV, and I sell it for $50,000 like what he seems to suggest, I would go out of business before I start (or less the TV can cure cancer).

A better way to think about it is not 100x the product but 100x the experience.

So one guy wants a TV, but then the other guy wants a full home cinema with luxury couches and amazing sound.

Or someone wants a basic skiing class, while someone else wants a back country helicopter skiing experience with a pro coach.

Its not 100m products, its 100 offers.

Look at why someone is buying X, and then 100x the desired result, not the object itself.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
629%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Marketing is the difference between some dork making an introductory post saying

“Hey guys I’m selling shoes what do you think a good way to make money online selling shoes would be?”

Or being NIKE.

That’s the importance of marketing.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
I've read his $100m Offer book but stopped reading halfway, especially the part where he keeps saying to charge a premium for your products. I think it was something like pricing so far out of the range of your most expensive competitor (e.g: if your most expensive competitor is selling Item X at $50, sell it at $5,000 or more kind of thing, that's what he keeps repeating).

Again, if I'm selling a TV, and the market will only pay an average of $2,500 for a modern TV, and I sell it for $50,000 like what he seems to suggest, I would go out of business before I start (or less the TV can cure cancer).

His book, and his teachings, are probably more for service-type products like SEO or other intangible services, especially intangible ones that "promises to make money for your clients". Like guru courses. That's why people would pay $9,997 for a 3-Day intensive entrepreneurship bootcamp. That's what Alex's game is about. Teaching people to sell high-ticket items by inflating their prices and using smoke-and-mirrors to make customers see your service's "perceived value". His $100m Offer book is an invaluable resource for people aspiring to be gurus in any niche.

I don't think it's possible to apply his teachings to eCommerce products and if there's such a real world example, I would be interested to see (excluding Apple, because it's not probable for most guys without $350 bilion in the bank to replicate Apple's branding since they've been around for more than 3 decades).

I can hear the negativity all the way over here...

When he's speaking about premium pricing, he's referencing Dan Kennedy's old adage, "there's no competitive advantage to being the 2nd lowest price in the market."

If you want to be competitive in a market, you really only have 3 options:

1. Lower your prices so you ARE the lowest priced (and be able to advertise "lowest priced") ...
2. Be "just like everybody else" and charge what others are charging for the sake of charging that and just try to get a piece of the market out of sheer luck...
3. Be the premium-priced product in your market.

The first is practically impossible for a solo-preneuer. You will never compete on price against large companies who can always underprice you. They are willing to lose more money than you to acquire the customer.

The second is why you're frustrated with your current products right now. Middle of the road, low to no interest, nothing that sets it apart. It's not because your product was bad per se... it was because it has no X factor that makes it unique in the marketplace.

The third offers distinct advantages. First, if you have more money... you can actually make a better product and consistently improve on that product. Second, if you have a higher quality product than your competitors, you have a marketing advantage (and a customer satisfaction advantage, thus re-orders, referrals, and reviews). If you've studied any of Deming's work -- he proved time and time again as a consultant for Honda, Toyota, and Sony that quality ALWAYS wins in the long run.

So Alex, I can just find a nice product for eCommerce in a nice niche, weave a nice brand story together, exaggerate the claims about my product and thus inflate the price exponentially?

Blows my mind how many would-be entrepreneurs really believe every other entrepreneur but them is a scammer.

Clearly, they must only sell inferior products and cheap crap that they overcharge for.

Here's the truth: you can only scam someone ONE TIME.

You cannot build a sustainable business by selling crap (unless you're literally marketing crap).

You simply MUST start asking some better questions here. "Why do people buy Sony, Samsung, Toyota/Lexus, Gucci, Louis, Kitton, etc., etc."

And "how can they still be in business after 100 years if all they do is scam people?"

You might find that you're just flat-out wrong.

Why can brands like lulu lemon skyrocket to the success they've found? What about Vuori? (hell, they went from 0 to 4 billion in 7 years)

Do you REALLY believe they are just slapping a high-end label on things and snickering at all the suckers that buy their stuff over and over again?

Or is it POSSIBLE they've actually created a superior product and they charge a premium for it?

You're REALLY missing the boat here and it has everything to do with mindset.

@Xeon , in your signature you have this quote:

-"What are you doing to help your customers be a better version of themselves?"

THAT
is what creating a premium product is all about.

P.S.

Since you're picking on TVs, I thought I'd google it:

This is some review site but it shares just a few reasons why each of these TVs are so expensive and how they've been engineered to practical perfection.

Will the technology improve and get cheaper? You'd better believe it. I'm currently typing this on two 32" ultra had 4k curved monitors that used to be thousands of dollars... I got them for a couple hundred bucks each...

But that's why they have to constantly innovate and improve...

I know a few entrepreneurs from this forum who created products, sold their initial stock, never improved their product and wonder why their business failed. There's quite a few of them.

Quality wins. Premium wins.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Here’s the big question we probably should be asking…

Why are so many people in this thread angered by, annoyed by, or trying to justify the actions of a guy selling something? Does selling something really need justification? Is selling something wrong? If people are getting value out of his book and his business in excess of what they are spending on them, the choice to buy enriched their lives.

Selling valuable stuff is a core function of good entrepreneurship.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
His content has been AMAZINGLY helpful with my business AND my life. Love the dude.
His wife's content is even better. Just rebuilt our hiring process off of one her videos. 3 new killers coming into the company.

AND you can learn something from everyone. Change your language!

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
I'm not sure what everyone's issue is on here besides the likely fact that you wish you were where he is right now.

Having that hater mentality is going to get you nowhere.

Guess what. I trained with Alex. I know him personally.

And guess what. What he taught me has a HUGE part in where I'm at today. I know what he preaches works. I implemented it. And while listening to his new book, I literally came up with 30+ ideas to improve my business and I can bet once it's all implemented, I 10X.

He's a smart dude with a photographic memory. A lot of what he says comes from pioneers. He just puts it all together into one package. It works. Period.

For everyone talking trash - I'd love to know where you're at. Do do you own a million dollar business? What's your net worth?

doster.zach

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Oct 14, 2021
Missouri
I have an unpopular opinion about this guy. I do not like him. He has some good "tips" in his videos but he is way too focused on marketing on my perspective, and not a productocracy. Also what really stroke to me as odd, is that in his YouTube channel landing page he states "I have nothing to sell you" and then links to an Amazon page that sells his kindle book for 0.87$ (the magic number 7 again). Am I the only one?

He is actually all about a productocracy. He talks about the only way to not cap your business is to have word of mouth doing the work for you and that requires a great product.

His book is sold at cost / whatever the lowest you can put it on amazon for.

He even admits he wants to make money, but he believes that giving away his knowledge will allow him to scale and grow even bigger with compounding good will.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
A total guru and scammer. He's setting all these up for the big reel-in eventually. Warming up his audience and growing it bigger, more rapidly. He's not interested in making money from $299 or $799 courses. He wants something far bigger and the fox will reveal its tail in the near future. No one's in this to do charity work or "from the goodness of their hearts".
So you think him and Mr. Beast are scammers. Two people who are actively giving away things and money. Seems like you have some trust with successful people in general. You just can't believe that people would actually give to give.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
I think you're wasting your breath Steve.

Haters gonna hate.

Complainers gonna complain.

I was an idiot when I first joined this forum. I think I had just opened the dojo? I was what... 21? Man... that was a while ago.

MJ, Greg, Russ, Dana, Sonya, Kenric (and several others) took pity on me. Gave me plenty of advice, supported me when I was down, pushed me even when I was stressed -- and most importantly challenged my ideas. I'm just attempting to pay it forward.

For the most part... unsuccessfully :rofl:

"Don't get furious, get curious."

P.S.

If you're one of these angry anti-capitalists, I hope you can see that business is NOT about what you can TAKE. It's about what you can GIVE.

The employee mentality is one of value extraction, and the entrepreneur's mentality is one of value creation.

You'll never be a successful business owner (long term) if you aren't providing more value to the marketplace than you ever would expect in return. You get 90, I get 10. It's an asymmetrical relationship.

That means providing more value to people's lives than anyone else ever would. It's not about taking advantage of people. If you're wearing this chip on your shoulder that says "everyone is out to get me" at all times... then you might do something extremely silly like sign up to go to a book launch... go to the book launch... watch the entire book launch... and then wonder why he asked you to buy his book... at his book launch... for the book launch...

... book launch.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
PS - Don't listen to that guy @Kung Fu Steve . He's a quack.

sport-of-tycoons-carl-barks.jpg

it's always been my dream to be a duck

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
A lesson I have learned the last year...it is fine to not have an opinion also.

I like his books, his content has been valuable, he shares a lot of decent advice.
To me that is enough for me. If he sells a course down the line - who cares.

To go around giving up mental bandwidth over what one guy might do years from now seems like a massive waste of resources. It might never happen, and it doesn't even impact your life if it does.

Also, you have to realise that the Algo is deciding who you see and why. Only extreme polarising content makes it to the top. So expect whoever that might be to be a kinda crazy character who seems a bit wild.

Regular solid every-day-style operators (worth millions and billions) usually don't go viral. They have amazing advice - but don't expect them to get too many views cause they aren't extreme.

@Xeon if you don't like Hormozi's stuff then who do you like and what are you learning? Cause it seems like you made dozens of posts on who is trending - and no posts on actual good content that is helping you to take action.

Short version - you get to chose what you pay attention to.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Here’s the big question we probably should be asking…

Why are so many people in this thread angered by, annoyed by or trying to justify the actions of a guy selling something? Does selling something really need justification? Is selling something wrong? If people are getting value out of his book and his business in excess of what they are spending on them, the choice to buy enriched their lives.

Selling valuable stuff is a core function of good entrepreneurship.

To sidewalkers, selling is evil.

Can't tell you how many sales people I've met who hate salespeople.

So in part, they hate themselves. The only thing they can do is lash out.

I've made the same mistake in the past.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
He referred to his content team as "my money-losing media team" he openly said his content team loses money off all the content they produce, but he gets the money back in deal flow, so is that really losing money?

Most people can't play the game at his level. I remember him saying that he spends 6 figures a month on his content creation team.

He studied Grant Cardone, Gary Vaynerchuk, Mr. Beast, and all the others that came before him & saw success.
I won't comment on the bottom 2 videos since I've not watched those before, only the 2 MJ ones above. I've read his books, so I know he's not selling snake oil. I've Hormonzi's $0.99 ebook, read it and got really pumped up, but about 35% through the book, the content started getting more and more ridiculous with wild hype, and when I reached almost 50% of the book, I had to stopped because at that point, it was getting nutty.

Found this on Reddit:

----------------------------------------------------------
Here's some research for anyone who cares to make a video:

TLDR: He's another fake guru, but his product is hype which he uses for ad revenue and conference speaking fees.

Observations:

• LIAR 2015: He got on the juice He posted articles about how natural he was. That building muscle is just about eating a crazy amount and working out more. Check the comments calling him out for fake natty. ( Alex Hormozi Gained 35lbs in 6 Weeks Naturally (Here's How) )
  • SCAMMER 2018: bragging about selling $500 memberships to dirty hood rat gyms with poor equipment located in ghetto apartments. (
    View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiS5qH7UMX4
    )
  • YOUTUBE FAKE GURU STARTS 2020: he begins posting basic business advice with thumbnails of him on piles of money. Like all fake gurus, he appeals to wealth, health, and sex. His videos are basic business advice and side hustle dreams. Not groundbreaking. He mainly has confidence and a unique look. In 2023 he's talking about "how to get rich with AI". Welcome to guru land. ( 3 Ways to Make $10K Cash With No Ad Spend (In 30 Days Or Less) [ALEX HORMOZI] )
  • BIRDS OF A FEATHER: Hormozi brags that his wife bought him 4 sessions with Grant Cardone for $120K. Regardless of the amount or how many sessions, he went directly to a con man to understand what Hormozi called "the fame game". Cardone is his model. Cardone is also under investigation by the FBI for defrauding investors. ( https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=grant+cardone+FBI )
  • $1 BOOK ... 300,000 COPIES SOLD! 2021: Put aside that he has "nothing to sell you", he sells a book for $1 so he can be a best seller and get lots of reviews. It was only $1 and as long as it has some reasonable advice it'll get good reviews. Funneling his YouTube Audience to a $1 product was bound to get sales. Now that it's a best-seller, the man with "nothing to sell you" sells a book for $21.90. Nothing against selling a book, but it's all about the larger picture. ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/1737475715/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20 )
  • ICE COFFEE HOUR HALF TRUTHS AND DEFLECTIONS 2022: He does the typical podcast tour explaining how easy it was to make a bunch of money, how great he is in bed, and how ClickFunnels bought him a supercar because he was such a good salesman (reality check: they give you $500 per month if you refer 100 customers so you can lease/buy a car). Any failings of his past businesses he deflects as the customers/gyms being lazy/complaining/incompetent. ( Meet The $100,000,000 Man Who Sold Everything | Alex Hormozi )
  • UNREASONABLE PROMISES 2022: On his website, he claims he'll 3X in 3 years for 100 businesses. No legit consultant would promise this. His updated website no longer makes that claim because it was a trash promise. Even now his site say they'll help you "explode in profit". It's ridiculous. ( https://web.archive.org/web/20220331024820/https://www.acquisition.com/ )
  • GARY V'S SOCIAL MEDIA GUY: I can't find the link but Hormozi's new social media guy worked for Gary V. He hired this guy so Hormozi's goal is to be a talking head so he can sell his grift.
  • AQUISITION•com LACK OF ASSETS: They might (might) own a few companies, but they only list a few on their website. Their claim is their companies make $75K per working hour ($156M per year). Is this true? The way Hormozi talks about it, he sold Gym Launch, Alan, and Prestige Labs to a private equity firm for $46M. But the press release says the equity firm just made an investment (American Pacific Group Completes Investment into Gym Launch and Prestige Labs). And Aquisition•com still lists that they own the companies. All that's left is the photography company. If they were focused on acquiring other companies, they would list all the companies they've invested in as social proof that they're legit. Compare this with Berkshire Hathaway's transparency which lists its companies. ( LINKS TO BERKSHIRE HATHAWAY SUB. COMPANIES vs. Firm )
The Grift:

• Other con artists sell $2000 courses and memberships, thankfully he doesn't do that. (I would not be shocked if suddenly he has paid courses in 2024.)
  • I don't even think he wants to consult or own equity in businesses.
  • He sells hype.
  • The "get rich quick" hype.
  • The cost is your attention.
  • His job is to be on media and talk.
  • He leverages this media audience for...
  • INCOME #1: YouTube ad revenue. Social Blade estimates the channel makes $3K to $55K per month. He said he makes $30K to $40K on the Iced Coffee Hour. Let's take the Social Blade average of $30K. That's $360K per year. Good money just for talking, interviews, and video editing. ( https://socialblade.com/youtube/user/adhormozi )
  • INCOME #2: As a now 300K best-selling author and guru YouTuber with nearly 1M followers, he can (and does) make a lot of money speaking at conferences. On his website HE SAYS HE CHARGES $100K to speak at a conference. ( Speaking Request )
Takeaways:

• As with all gurus, there're some nuggets of wisdom mixed in with the hype.
  • As long as you don't buy $5K conference tickets or sell your business to him.
Update 08-08-2023

• Grifting Free Equity: He got called out on the My First Million podcast for going to businesses and attempting to get equity in exchange for his expertise. When they asked why, he gave the most long-winded, stumble-over-himself answer I've ever seen him give. (Summary: "Um. Oh. Yeah. Some we invest money in. Others we get equity because we bring so much value to the business.") So he's using his fame to try to scam businesses out of equity. Alex Hormozi’s Plan To Grow Acquisition.com To $1 Billion (#462)
  • Why the Lack of Assets: They also called him out on why Aquisition has so few assets listed. He gave another long-winded nonsense answer. (Summary: "Some of the businesses we invest in haven't negotiated for Hormozi promotion. And if I promoted them, they would instantly 5X.") Even if you had a minority stake in a company, wouldn't you want the company to 5X? The Acquisition site has so few acquired companies... because they don't have any more. Alex Hormozi’s Plan To Grow Acquisition.com To $1 Billion (#462)
  • No Company Testimonials: He's been running Acquisition long enough and he's a big enough self-promoter that he would be using company testimonials by now... if he had them. The only testimonials I can find of him online are from those he worked with at ClickFunnels and those that read his book.
  • UPDATED FACT: His book is still only $2: I misread it the last time. The paperback is $21.90. The digital is still only $1.99.
  • Spending $1M YR to promote his book: On the same podcast he says he doesn't make any money on his book because he's spending $1M per year to promote it. And he claims he breaks even on all the social media he runs. If true, it looks like he's dumping money into his media to rocket up his status. To run the bigger, longer grift.
  • Paying for Podcast Appearances?: I have NO IDEA if Hormozi is doing this, but Ryan Pineda has gone on record that some of his guests are paid appearances ( How To Get on @RyanPineda 's Podcast ). Considering Pineda doesn't disclose who pays or not, it's at least a possibility Hormozi could have paid for this appearance ( Confronting The $100,000,000 Couple | Alex & Leila Hormozi ) or other appearances.
  • Grift Update: I still think he runs hype so he can speak at conferences. But the verified word on the street is he's using his status to get free equity in companies for quasi-consulting.
----------------------------------------------------------

Yup, the business model is $100K (MINIMUM) conference speaking fees. That's where he gets the bulk of his $$$ from. He's not interested in selling you tiny $299 courses. He's building a cult, and he's the God of that cult. Alex even specifically crafts his physical appearance to appeal to a very specific demographic.

Every year has a guru. Tai Lopez was the Guru of 2017. Grant Cardone was 2018. Gary V was 2019. And 2023 is the Year of Alex Hormozi.

Husband-and-wife-duos like Alex and Leila are always shady. Joel Osteen, anyone?

People said the same thing about Jay Abraham, Dan Kennedy, and several others. Yet those guys are still around.

A lot of people hate the MMO (make money online) space because of how many charlatans operate in it. But as long as Alex and Leila give good info for free, they will be giving value regardless of how the portfolio companies or clients feel about their experiences with them.

I don't doubt that, in the coming years, there will be portfolio company CEOs "speaking out" against the Hormozis and Acquisition.com. Not everyone is going to have a good experience with them. But does that mean that people shouldn't listen to what the Hormozis have to say?

So here's my advice:

• Don't watch/listen/read everything they put out, instead only look for the stuff that's useful to you. Remember: team producer, not team consumer
  • Understand that their headlines are a tactic to get attention & use those tactics yourself in your business
  • Don't follow them blindly. "Don't be a follower, be a student" - Jim Rohn
  • Learn from their mistakes.
  • Don't justify bad behavior just because the Hormozis do it. If you see anything they do as immoral or unethical, just don't do it.
  • Stop looking for the perfect person to follow. Everyone who makes content is selling something!

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Actually it has changed. Instead of pointing out solid arguments most people are resulting to attacking me personally. It seems like people can no more agree to disagree. It is a bid sad to be honest.

Ask yourself who the common denominator is… Your character isn’t unrelated to the discussion at hand as much as you want to make it irrelevant with your claims of ad hominem.

Until this thread I had not consumed one moment of Alex Hormozi content. I was only familiar with the name. Figured he was just the overrated guru of the month.

Because of you and your attitude, I took a look at his book, it sounds like I might like it so I purchased and intend to read it next. This attempt at (whatever this was an attempt at) totally backfired.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
For those not familiar Alex is very upfront about what his sales funnel is.

You read his book and consume his free content

You use that content to grow your business to 7-8 figures

Once you’re tapped out and don’t know how to scale it more you go to him and he invests in your business and helps you scale from there

Dudes legit and thinks crazy big, you won’t catch him trying to make money on book sales, he doesn’t even sell any $997 courses, they’re all free.

All he’s interested in is partnering with people already killing it and helping them scale further

I know a couple of business owners locally using his free content to grow their businesses

It’s nothing particularly new, it’s very similar to the old school Gary halbert type stuff that’s been around forever, but man does he know how to execute

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
What's also kinda funny here is people have no idea the cost of "free content".

To have as many videos as Hormozi does, all well edited, optimized for the platform etc - takes a LOT of cash.

Usually these guys have like 15-20 fulltime staff just to manage content.

Kinda like the forum here - 1,000s of unseen hours every year to keep it spam-free and on point.

But... we should all expect totally free content with absolutely no payoff or ROI to the person who made it.

@Kak and @Kung Fu Steve with great points above - this is often a reflection of a person's own sales issues.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I think you missed the point.

He claims he isn't selling anything.

But after peeling the onion back, he is indeed selling something.

And it's quite a large sell, to invite him into your company so he can take part in the scaling process, and hopefully, a large exit event.

For some, this strikes them as duplicitous and gives off a scumbag marketer vibe. You claim you aren't selling something, but you are.

That said, if he does indeed mention this in his book (which I haven't read) then it might come across as contradictory to some, which is my guess for the OP's original post.

This "I'm not selling anything but I am" is likely why some folks are feeling the wrong vibe.

Moreover, it is indeed impressive that people are being subjected to a marketing funnel, and don't even know it.

So clearly the guy knows what he's doing, and based on the responses in this thread, he's doing it quite phenomenally.

Ya true, for sure he is selling us all big time in the long run.

I knew this was coming from day one with Hormozi though cause I seen it happen before with Andy Frisella.

In Andy's early podcasts he would always strongly emphasis "I will never sell you anything".

Since then... an app, a book, speaking fees, speaking events, a mastermind, mastermind events, merc etc.
But that podcast is still add-free guys ;)

These guys are just clever enough to see that the bigger money is to be made without going for the sale right away.

It did annoy me with Andy before but I just let it go - I guess that is just the game. These guys provide a ton of free value and at the end of the day we don't have to buy unless we want to.

I guess the "nothing to sell you" is to get people's guard down long enough to get their foot in the door.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Why are you posting a question like this about someone posting something you consider negative? Just curious.

Have you ever taken a locus of control test?

It seems like you are kind of blaming Alex Hormozi for your problems and defending your actions to people who question you.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.