The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

After 13 years of "learning" i now face my biggest challenge in business.

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
Quick background introduction.

I'm 35 years old now and i've never worked for anybody. I left school and started my own business because like the majority of people who follow into entrepreneurship i wanted to be rich. I was always into computers so the logical step was to open a shop and start repairing them and reselling. (I did have a lucrative sideline of selling pirated cd's of music and office software until i ended up in court one day but that's for another day!).

If i knew then what i know now i would never have made that decision. Yes i would have started my own business but it wouldn't have been in that area. Don't get me wrong it had it's good times, i was able to afford (or should i say qualify for finance and afford the repayments) on a brand new $50,000 Mercedes at the age of 23 and always seem to have cash in my pocket but i was by no means where i wanted to be financially. Lessons learned!

As i'm sure you're all aware that by owning a small computer repair store one can only serve the needs of a small catchment of people. For some reason it took me a long time to realise this. I'd gone and spent years and years working "in" my business instead of working "on" it. I'd need to open more and more shops to compete. I started to hate the one i had. I was stuck there from 9 to 5 most days. Even had to work most Saturdays. Then the alarm would go off at all hours - i was broken into twice. The thought of opening more of these was not an option. I'd spent 13 years of my life working at something which was never going to provide the type of lifestyle i wanted and i didn't even realise it. I honestly don't know where the years have gone. I wish i had read Marco's book earlier.

One of the better things i did after a couple of years into my business venture was to start a sideline selling computer accessories online. To cut a long story short and with the help of @Vigilante i closed the shop in April of this year to concentrate solely on this internet business.

In the last 12 months i've completed the following steps in my journey in order of timescale -

1. I was selling "branded" products from China. They were probably sailing close to the wind with regards to whether they were black market products or actually high copies. My guess is a mixture of both. I realised i couldn't build a business on this model so we now only sell our own brand of these products.

2. I closed the repair shop and now use it as a warehouse and office which has allowed me to concentrate all of my time and efforts into one path. Before i was splitting my time between the two businesses which wasn't productive.

3. I've studied courses on selling physical products online. And after that I decided i wasn't entirely comfortable with sourcing new products that i knew little or nothing about. I felt it didn't give my business a USP and that it lacked identity. I know people who making a lot of money selling in different niches but to me this type of business is then built solely around Amazon which i know from experience isn't a good idea. A serious lack of control. I've therefore chosen a niche which is big enough to serve the needs of a lot of customers and has a large range of products i can source.

4. Since April my turnover has risen from around £35,000 a month to nearly £65,000.

5. I've recently commissioned a new website and ebay store to match our new brand identity and incorporate our new range of products. These will be ready just after Christmas.

Now in January 2016 i will be armed with a business that is doing £700,000 a year in online sales funded by carrying anything between £25,000-£40,000 worth of stock at any one point. I will have a brand new website and matching ebay store.

I now face my biggest challenge i feel to date to solve both a personal and business problem. It felt easy when i opened the shop. This is different. There is a lot of potential in my niche, i have a UK competitor who doesn't sell on Ebay or Amazon but still does £18m a year in sales and also another one who is actually based in France but does £8m via their UK site.

I am at my limits with my bank overdraft. I don't have colateral to put down to extend it any further. I can utilize loan sites like EZbob but they are high interest and short term (Max 12 months). I need funds to purchase more stock. My current premises is now pretty much at it's capacity. My Father actually owns the building so the rent is pretty cheap but it's a shop rather than warehouse so i'm going to have to move in the near future. Rent is going to increase 5 fold.

On a sidenote my Wife works a high pressured accountancy job and is finding the work-life balance really tough with 2 children. I really need to earn more money so she can either join me in my business or not have to work. From a financial point of view we cannot afford for her to leave her job at the moment.

I will update this thread as i make progress towards my goals. Which are listed below.

1. Attain funds to purchase more inventory.
2. Promote the new website to attract more sales.
3. Generate enough profit to be able to afford to move to a larger warehouse.
4. Employ a dedicated Sales person once i've got a large enough range of stock to offer potential customers.
5. Either bring my Wife into the business or be in a position to take more money myself so she doesn't have to work.

I hope i haven't bored anybody too much....apologies if so. For me now it's not a case of if i reach these goals more a case of when. I will do it. I have to. Like i said on a previous post i can pretty much do nothing for a year and my business would still produce £65,000 a month in sales. It's no good however if my Wife is stuck in traffic on the motorway for an hour on the way home from work whilst i've been working from home in my shorts and t-shirt. There are lot of customers out there with needs i should be filling.........TBC

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Never1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Nov 13, 2015
Canada
New guy, here.

I'm curious as to why you would need such a huge amount of inventory if you are selling strictly online, now? Why tie up funds in a bunch of inventory that isn't moving?

In other words, why not specialize in a specific cross section of the best selling items, and leave the rest out of the stockpile? Is more inventory the answer? Probably not.

Edit: I might be reading into this wrong. Are you allocating a specific amount from your gross revenues to absorb the COGS and make this cash available to reorder inventory? Why overdraft or loan consideration? The cash should be there, to restock.

I can't profess to know a lot about this sort of business, but something tells me that there are some missed opportunities for efficiencies and streamlining. If I were you, I would look at what opportunities for systems improvements I can make, to cut my carrying expenses, before I even dream of taking on more expenses or cash outflows to hold more inventory.

That sort of gross revenue should net you a healthy enough profit to be able to control operating and growing. If things are too tight, you're doing something wrong. I guess it depends on the margins.

If your wife's income can be absorbed by your profits, then yes, that might be an option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
New guy, here.

I'm curious as to why you would need such a huge amount of inventory if you are selling strictly online, now? Why tie up funds in a bunch of inventory that isn't moving?

In other words, why not specialize in a specific cross section of the best selling items, and leave the rest out of the stockpile? Is more inventory the answer? Probably not.

I can't profess to know a lot about this sort of business, but something tells me that there are some missed opportunities for efficiencies and streamlining. If I were you, I would look at what opportunities for systems improvements I can make, to cut my carrying expenses, before I even dream of taking on more expenses or cash outflows to hold more inventory.

That sort of gross revenue should net you a healthy enough profit to be able to control operating and growing. If things are too tight, you're doing something wrong. I guess it depends on the margins.

If your wife's income can be absorbed by your profits, then yes, that might be an option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for your reply.

I can see exactly where you are coming from and you are right, in this and any business that holds stock it's vital to ensure money isn't tied up in items that are not selling or very slow sellers. I'm very much proactive in this department and i have detailed reports on inventory performance. At the moment any SKU that hasn't sold within the last 10 days is looked into more closely and the price reduced if necessary. There is around £2000-3000 worth of stock that hasn't sold within 10 days and we are trying to reduce that figure.

With regards to funds, i am expanding into a particular area of products that are high volume sellers. One item can cost £60 each but they are fast movers and also a higher barrier to entry for other sellers selling online. That particular item can sell 10-20pcs a night on Ebay alone however.
Margin wise we currently do enough to pay for all expenses including overheads and 4 employees.

My Wife currently earns £4500 take home a month so it's not a small amount to absorb at the moment!

It's the next step that's going to be make or break......

Never1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Nov 13, 2015
Canada
Thanks for your reply.

I can see exactly where you are coming from and you are right, in this and any business that holds stock it's vital to ensure money isn't tied up in items that are not selling or very slow sellers. I'm very much proactive in this department and i have detailed reports on inventory performance. At the moment any SKU that hasn't sold within the last 10 days is looked into more closely and the price reduced if necessary. There is around £2000-3000 worth of stock that hasn't sold within 10 days and we are trying to reduce that figure.

With regards to funds, i am expanding into a particular area of products that are high volume sellers. One item can cost £60 each but they are fast movers and also a higher barrier to entry for other sellers selling online. That particular item can sell 10-20pcs a night on Ebay alone however.
Margin wise we currently do enough to pay for all expenses including overheads and 4 employees.

My Wife currently earns £4500 take home a month so it's not a small amount to absorb at the moment!

It's the next step that's going to be make or break......

Ok, I understand more now. Though the current personal life stuff is difficult, I would not get her out her job anytime soon.

I have a bit of a consulting background, but I'm a business owner first and foremost.

Questions I would ask myself:

How can I stay at my current location for the maximum amount of time? (How can I save space, reduce inventory dead space, shorten the transit time from wholesale to store for shipping, so I can bypass the inventory holding time? Is a 5x more expensive warehouse realistic or could I hold some inventory in a nearby storage facility with literally a couple hundred bucks a month in rent? (Assuming a high security, insurable site from a reputable self-storage company).

How much time am I wasting per day, doing redundant work? Can some things be automated?

How can I purchase the new product without taking on any more debt? (Liquidate some under performers, use the cash to buy a small amount for initial launch, and then divert as much revenues into growing the restocking of this specific inventory, once I know it will sell. This will limit risk of a face plant and a huge debt burden if the new product isn't as successful as anticipated.)

And so on. It's all about making what you have work, and keeping it working for as long as humanly possible. Lean and mean, brother.

If a move means 5x more rent, you'd best be certain you'll grow to 5X more gross revenues. Will a larger facility really increase your sales on the Internet? Probably not. Just som questions you need to answer for yourself.

camcam

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 19, 2013
UK
Personally if I was struggling to sell some of stock, maybe approach some of the competitors and offer to sell the stock off to them and make some bulk profit?

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
Ok, I understand more now. Though the current personal life stuff is difficult, I would not get her out her job anytime soon.

I have a bit of a consulting background, but I'm a business owner first and foremost.

Questions I would ask myself:

How can I stay at my current location for the maximum amount of time? (How can I save space, reduce inventory dead space, shorten the transit time from wholesale to store for shipping, so I can bypass the inventory holding time? Is a 5x more expensive warehouse realistic or could I hold some inventory in a nearby storage facility with literally a couple hundred bucks a month in rent? (Assuming a high security, insurable site from a reputable self-storage company).

How much time am I wasting per day, doing redundant work? Can some things be automated?

How can I purchase the new product without taking on any more debt? (Liquidate some under performers, use the cash to buy a small amount for initial launch, and then divert as much revenues into growing the restocking of this specific inventory, once I know it will sell. This will limit risk of a face plant and a huge debt burden if the new product isn't as successful as anticipated.)

And so on. It's all about making what you have work, and keeping it working for as long as humanly possible. Lean and mean, brother.

If a move means 5x more rent, you'd best be certain you'll grow to 5X more gross revenues. Will a larger facility really increase your sales on the Internet? Probably not. Just som questions you need to answer for yourself.

There are some very valid points there so thank you. With regards to space, my current premises is more of a shop. It does have a basement which is probably half again in size compared to what i've currently got. It's not however currently in any fit state to store products in and has a damp issue. It has a set of stairs leading to it which would probably raise a health and safety issue if i tried to move stock/shelving down there anyway.

We are currently in the process of moving our back end software process to another company which will automate a lot of things my employees are having to do.

The new product range will sell, i have been monitoring sales on ebay alone for a while. I also have to buy large quantities to get near pricewise what the other competitors are selling at.

A larger facility won't on it's own increase our sales, to increase our sales we need to introduce more and more new products which in turn will generate more sales. We also need to the space to store them although we do generally usually buy 5-10pcs then expand from there. Problem is this soon adds up when you are adding hundreds of products a month!

One of my competitors does £7m a year sales and makes 30% net profit. They've got around £600k in stock according to their accounts. This is a good marker for me!

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
Personally if I was struggling to sell some of stock, maybe approach some of the competitors and offer to sell the stock off to them and make some bulk profit?

To be honest i'm not really struggling to sell stock, but yes that is something i would certainly look into if that was case. thank you.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.