The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Affiliate / Blogging / Adsense questions!

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
Hey Gang -- I'm a little late to the party, but that's OK.

I recently started to play with online blogs for the purpose of profiting over adsense and affiliate programs, etc.

I have a few questions for the pros who have been doing this a lot longer, if you wouldn't mind helping me out:

1). Do you need your own domain name per blog, or is it a waste of money? Seems like $10 isn't much to spend to make your site more noticable, but if I'm going to scale this and have 100 blogs, suddenly that is $1000. Do you really need to get your own domain name, or can you just piggy back onto another one? (i.e. blog1.wordpress.com)

2). So far I've got 1 blog up and I'm getting about 100 hits per day. Around 2% of the people are clicking on my affiliate ads so far, but nobody is buying. Any tips on how to raise revenues here? I'm thinking of using more targeted affiliates so that they are closely related to the site content, but is that a mistake? Should I also sprinkle in some others?

3). Is it worth it to write your own quality content, or should I just paid for guys in India to write it for me or whoever does that sort of thing? I spend hours a week writing great articles, and they seem to be generating good traffic. Is it worth it?

4). Besides getting in Google and the search engines, how do you generate traffic to your site? I've started hanging out on forums and sites similar to mine, and spreading the word that way -- and so far that traffic makes up about 80% of my page viewers. It's slow tedious work.... Feels like I'm working too hard, any suggestions here?

Thanks guys!

-Hakrjak

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

lookingahead

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Nov 21, 2010
4. Have you tried google adsense or is that what you meant by "getting in google and search engines?"
3. I've always been told...quality is better then quantity.

I'm not so sure about 2 and 1.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
4. Have you tried google adsense or is that what you meant by "getting in google and search engines?"
3. I've always been told...quality is better then quantity.

I'm not so sure about 2 and 1.

No I was just talking about submitting Google sitemaps, and to Yahoo, etc....

Paying for clicks on Google Adsense sounds kind of risky, because you could end up paying more for the clicks than you'd ever make from the affiliate sales, or am I missing something here?

Cheers,

-Hakrjak

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
Congrats on the progress! 100 visitors per day is pretty darn good for a site that's less than a month old!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

cliqflip

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Feb 21, 2012
Orange County
Hey Gang -- I'm a little late to the party, but that's OK.

I recently started to play with online blogs for the purpose of profiting over adsense and affiliate programs, etc.

I have a few questions for the pros who have been doing this a lot longer, if you wouldn't mind helping me out:

1). Do you need your own domain name per blog, or is it a waste of money? Seems like $10 isn't much to spend to make your site more noticable, but if I'm going to scale this and have 100 blogs, suddenly that is $1000. Do you really need to get your own domain name, or can you just piggy back onto another one? (i.e. blog1.wordpress.com)

2). So far I've got 1 blog up and I'm getting about 100 hits per day. Around 2% of the people are clicking on my affiliate ads so far, but nobody is buying. Any tips on how to raise revenues here? I'm thinking of using more targeted affiliates so that they are closely related to the site content, but is that a mistake? Should I also sprinkle in some others?

3). Is it worth it to write your own quality content, or should I just paid for guys in India to write it for me or whoever does that sort of thing? I spend hours a week writing great articles, and they seem to be generating good traffic. Is it worth it?

4). Besides getting in Google and the search engines, how do you generate traffic to your site? I've started hanging out on forums and sites similar to mine, and spreading the word that way -- and so far that traffic makes up about 80% of my page viewers. It's slow tedious work.... Feels like I'm working too hard, any suggestions here?

Thanks guys!

-Hakrjak

1. You should own a domain - it will benefit your SEO and also you can make unlimited subdomains for that domain generally so you can create 1hundred fastlaner.yourblog.com faslaner2.yourblog.com etc
Pay the $ - its $10 or less a year and definitely worth it

2. No strait forward answer for this, test, test, test, get creative, then test some more till you get your magic recipe.

Also install google analytics to help identify where your traffic is coming from so you can focus your efforts on whats driving the traffic and not wasting time.

3. Write your own quality content definitely, you can also open your blog up to guest bloggers as well as sign up for myblogguest.com and post that you're looking for guest bloggers (im sure there are other sites too, google it)

4. Forums - SEO - Twitter #HashTags relevant to your blog - Social Media - Social Bookmarketing - ETC - Take a marketing course or start reading a lot of marketing blogs. Your ways to gain traffic will change as your blog changes - define your target market, find where they are, go there and become one of them.

Good luck!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.