The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Advice

Phil Dawber

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Aug 1, 2016
North West - United Kingdom
hi everyone,

I recently set up my own website (first time I've ever done this) and wanted to ask for your advice.

Since starting I've only had a handful of visitors to my website, I've set up a Twitter account and I'm trying to post often to try and generate traffic but it doesn't seem to be working.

The last few days I've really been looking into free/low cost ways of directing traffic to my page, I have no connections in the business world so cannot be recommended by someone I know.

Anyway I'm considering a few different options but wanted to know if there is anything you would recommend first so I don't do something completely wrong?

Thanks
Phil

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Welcome to the Fastlane Forum. First thing, hop over to the introduction section and post a quick thread introducing yourself as about what you do/are looking to do.

Second, read everything in this thread. https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/andys-adwords-posts.52850/
@Andy Black is a fountain of knowledge on paid traffic.

Read/listen to this really important post by Andy as well. https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/the-biggest-reason-websites-suck.68179/

After you check those threads out, make sure to head over to the Marketing thread https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/forums/sales-marketing-copywriting-social-media.79/

Everything you need will be in there.

advice/etiquette moving forward. This forum has a lot to give, make sure you give back. Share whatever knowledge you have, you'll get plenty in return. Click like on any post that you feel taught you something. Likes are our form of currency and reputation here. Also, this is your first thread, it will be overlooked, but in business, things come to those who try hard. The answer to every question you had would take about 5 minutes to answer with a quick browse of the forum list, in the future, try to do your own research before posting vague questions.

Welcome, learn and enjoy!

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Ps, tagging MJ wont really do anything btw. He shows up for good content, not tags.

Phil Dawber

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Aug 1, 2016
I think I posted it in the wrong section I'm not brand new to the forum? Also I only tagged him because it kept saying I need to tag someone (he's the only name I could remember on the site)

Cheers
Phil

Sorry I'm still trying to get used to this forum I think I'm struggling to navigate it I'll keep trying,
yeah your right my mistake there's tones of info out there I'll just try and find it, thanks!

Phil Dawber

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Aug 1, 2016
I fixed your tags

Legend thanks! Like I say, struggled a lot with the forums getting used to things which is why I've not managed to find lots of stuff, got it all now though through the links

Cheers chaps

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Back when I started my journey, I thought I wanted to be a web developer. I didn't know that it's a skill that can be outsourced to the 2nd world for dirt cheap. I started a blog to talk about programming, and to share tutorials. At its peak, the blog was getting around 1000 hits a month, and continues to get about 500/month even today, without having touched it since last October.

My process was this:

1 - Find community of people in the niche I wanted to target. Create avatar on forum with high activity and quality.
2 - Learn enough to be helpful to people just a few steps behind me.
3 - Spend an hour a day answering their questions on the forums. Always be positive, helpful and polite.
4 - Identify gaps in tutorial material and then write tutorials to fill those gaps.
5 - Share them on the forums and enjoy a temporary bump in traffic to my blog.
6 - repeat steps 3 - 5 until I got noticed by the founder of the community who posted one of my tutorials on their main website.

This last step is what gave me the enduring traffic. People still find the link almost a year later. I left the blog up because it helps people in a niche that I still think is pretty cool.

You can apply the same process to any niche, website, business, whatever. The fundamental principle at work is that if you are helpful and provide some form of value to a community, people will notice and want to consume your content. If you provide enough value, the power players will recognize you and leverage the content you have created to bring more value to the community that they created. It's win win win.

It's not an inherently fast process (took me something like 8 weeks), but it works. You can speed it up by taking massive action. Spend 4 hours a day answering questions and 8 hours a day creating content and the results will come much quicker.

As an aside, one thing I realized after I shifted gears into a service business, quite a few people are not comfortable outsourcing to the developing world. They will pay a premium to work with someone domestically; this means there is in fact a market for domestic web developers. Go figure.

Now that I'm thinking about it, there's no reason that this process can't help in my current endeavor. I can return to this to generate more leads for my service business.

Thanks for posting this question.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.