The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Advice on tea business - PL

pixieducks

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Oct 1, 2020
San Antonio, TX
Hello - I hope you can help me with some questions I have about starting a tea business.

My blog is about a health condition that I have, and I want to create a tea blend specific to it. Tea is one thing that really helped, and I want to add some other ingredients that help as well. I found a PL tea supplier that also does blends for health. There isn't currently tea specific to this condition. I planned to get samples and have them create a blend and then PL for me. So if I had arthritis, I would be naming it "arthritis tea."

I started thinking about the process and wondered what would stop them from selling my exact blend to others? Is that part of the process of them agreeing not to do that? Or is that just something you have to take the chance on?

Also, thinking about the name, am I able to trademark it? Again, I worry that anyone could create a tea and name it "arthritis tea," but is a name like that even allowed a trademark?

I did buy the domain name, but I know that doesn't help in the situation above. When the product is ready, I planned to add it to a product page on my blog or do a separate website under the tea name and link to it. Is one way better than the other?

It could be I'm overthinking this, but I want it done right from the start. Appreciate your help!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AFMKelvin

Some Profound Quote Goes Here
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
I wanted to add that I am only dealing with US suppliers. I'm sure I can get better deals in China, but I worry about the quality.
There was a guy here that said he was making a killing selling tea on facebook. I'm have also researched the herbal industry because I prefer herbal medicine over drugs.

But tea is food and if you plan to sell it for an illness that it helped you with you're walking into murky waters. Obviously you can't patent a plant. Your suppliers and everyone on earth would be able to copy your blend. Anything on your label and packaging regarding foods is regulated by the FDA. You would not be able to call it arthritis tea, much less trademark it. If you call it arthritis tea your are implying the tea cures an illness. Which means you have to show proof because now the tea is considered a drug. You can only say "may help relieve arthritis pain" but you can't claim it actually does it.

pixieducks

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Oct 1, 2020
San Antonio, TX
There was a guy here that said he was making a killing selling tea on facebook. I'm have also researched the herbal industry because I prefer herbal medicine over drugs.

But tea is food and if you plan to sell it for an illness that it helped you with you're walking into murky waters. Obviously you can't patent a plant. Your suppliers and everyone on earth would be able to copy your blend. Anything on your label and packaging regarding foods is regulated by the FDA. You would not be able to call it arthritis tea, much less trademark it. If you call it arthritis tea your are implying the tea cures an illness. Which means you have to show proof because now the tea is considered a drug. You can only say "may help relieve arthritis pain" but you can't claim it actually does it.
Thank you for your reply. I definitely don't want others thinking this is a cure because it really is meant to help with the condition's symptoms. I'll have to be careful to add that on the packaging, as you mentioned.

I didn't think the name would be an issue as long as I put that disclaimer, but I understand how that may be misleading. I mentioned arthritis tea because I have seen tea using that in their name. I also saw one that had Arthritis Supporting Tea, so I wonder if that is a better option. I don't want to create a messy situation for myself, though, so I'll be careful.

AFMKelvin

Some Profound Quote Goes Here
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
Thank you for your reply. I definitely don't want others thinking this is a cure because it really is meant to help with the condition's symptoms. I'll have to be careful to add that on the packaging, as you mentioned.

I didn't think the name would be an issue as long as I put that disclaimer, but I understand how that may be misleading. I mentioned arthritis tea because I have seen tea using that in their name. I also saw one that had Arthritis Supporting Tea, so I wonder if that is a better option. I don't want to create a messy situation for myself, though, so I'll be careful.
You'll have to contact the FDA and read on the regulations regarding supplements and dietary products. There's a lot that I forgot but if you go read it yourself you'll get a better idea of what you can or cannot name your product. Arthritis Supporting Tea can be used because it doesn't promise to cure arthritis.

here's the link to the fda website Dietary Supplements

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
617%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
The tea doesn't matter. It's a blend of herbs. Whatever. It doesn't cure arthritis. Anyone can copy it. NDB

The money is in the audience. Does your blog actually have readers?

Get the audience, sell them whatever will help them that they'll be happy to pay for, profit.

If you are putting the tea first you are putting the cart before the horse.

You are not curing arthritis. You are not going to change lives with this tea, therefore the only thing you should care about is stacking up the targeted readers for your blog...then sell them whatever white label dropshipped tea blend your heart desires and watch the location independent passive income roll in.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
May 27, 2013
United States
I started thinking about the process and wondered what would stop them from selling my exact blend to others? Is that part of the process of them agreeing not to do that? Or is that just something you have to take the chance on?
You could get an agreement that they wouldn't sell that exact blend to someone. But change 1 ingredient slightly, and now it's a new blend. Ultimately, there's nothing proprietary here.

It's a business model with no barrier to entry, that anyone can copy, and you're at the mercy of a middle man supplier private labeling for you.

The easier it is to get started, the less upside there is. So whether or not it's a good idea, depends on what your ultimate goals are with this.

Also, thinking about the name, am I able to trademark it? Again, I worry that anyone could create a tea and name it "arthritis tea," but is a name like that even allowed a trademark?

Talk to a trademark lawyer. The more generic it is, the harder it will be to trademark. My guess, is it will be tough.

When the product is ready, I planned to add it to a product page on my blog or do a separate website under the tea name and link to it. Is one way better than the other?

Do both.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.