The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Advertising. Low maintainence profit.

darkshark

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 14, 2009
Hey everyone,

I've been dreaming, brainstorming, planning, and growing this idea for quite a few months now, but it's time to begin taking action.

I want to start a billboard company...scratch that...I AM starting a billboard company. I've worked as a graphic designer, CAD designer, and web advertising developer over the years, I know the ad industry pretty well, and know how benignly profitable it can be.

In the next 2 months or so, I'll have enough to put up my very first board, but I want MORE. Much more. The first few are going to be completely out-of-pocket expenses, which could make things hard on me, but once I have 3 or 4 up, the business will be completely self sufficient (and by this, I mean, the revenue generated from the boards each month will cover the cost of putting up yet another board the next month) so the business will grow exponentially from there. However I have some questions for some of the experienced entrepreneurs here.

Starting this business with a friend, good or bad?
At what point do I start hiring employees?
Anything I should know about dealing with state/county building licenses?

After the company is established, and bringing in substantial revenue...being a CAD designer and all...I've invented a one of a kind digital billboard, which, if produced and setup, would be able to generate more than 100k a month on its own, but that's not til down the line. Unless of course I can get an investor or three to lend me 150k...but I plan on working from the ground up I guess haha.

Any pitfalls I should really watch out for in starting up a business like this? I'm only 22, I've still got lots to learn, and would love if any of you could offer insight on the not-so-good aspects of something like this.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
If you have something great with your new digital billboard try approaching angel investors and see if they can lend you money. I don't think old type of billboards will be great business but if you can innovate them then go for it ;)

BurnBright

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Oct 8, 2009
Vancouver, Canada
If you can prove your math on the digital billboard go after a hard money lender and go all digital. If it actually pays out 100K a month for a 150K outlay why not pay out 20 -25 % on debt at least until you can build your boards out of cash flow.

johnj34

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jan 5, 2011
You dont need venture capital.. Reply with your contact information and I will contact you. I've been in the Internet marketing business since 1996, I have everything you'd need, forget venture capital. Private message me on here if you can.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.