The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Add a pro tier to a reasonably popular free service

Marketing, social media, advertising

benhowdle

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jul 4, 2020
UK
First-time poster, apologies if this is the wrong forum!

I built and run Reqres - A hosted REST-API ready to respond to your AJAX requests Reqres - a free tool for developers. It receives millions of requests a month (the devs using the tool), and the homepage itself gets 20-30k unique visitors a month.

I run ads on the homepage which generates $200-300/month.

I'm looking to add a Pro tier to the service to start generating monthly income (through subscriptions) from it. I have a mailing list of ~200 people who clicked "I'm interested in the Pro tier" button, and sent them a survey to try and dig into exactly what devs would want from a Pro tier. I got 4 responses back.

What would you do to find out what people want from a Pro tier? Would you even add a Pro tier? How would you monetize this free service?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

benhowdle

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jul 4, 2020
UK

drahz

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jul 24, 2019
It looks like an alternative to JSONPlaceholder, they are not monetized only sponsorship.

You can try to limit the number of requests per IP and then force them to go pro. But you are also risking that they will move to a different free service.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
you say that, but I offer that as an advertising option. One company trialled it and weren’t happy enough with the CPA from each click, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ seems worth exploring
I meant it as a joke but something diff came to mind - what if test content itself would be somewhat endorsed - like for user account name would be -
"Johnny B.- XYZ company happy customer"
or some text ad in avatar.

This method was explored by Unsplash.com, by giving away pictures that included something that brands paid for.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.