The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Ad-Based Driving Directions for Mobile App

A topic related to SAAS or APPs
D

DeletedUser397

Here's a quick idea that I probably won't use, so feel free to run with it.

Problem - Traditional GPS apps will give you directions based on street names and streets in general. Generally when you arrive, they will say something like, "your destination is on the right" etc. A lot of times, especially in certain areas or cities, it's hard to read the street signs and even if the GPS app tells you turn right/left, you sometimes miss the street especially if you're not familiar with the area.

Solution - Introduce landmarks (businesses) into the directions, to provide a better visual guide/reference. For example rather than say "turn left at XYZ street", say "you will see XYZ business, take a left after that street" or other ways to incorporate businesses/landmarks into directions to make it easier to know when to turn, keep going "past McDonalds" etc. "Your destination will be on the left, beside Starbucks"

Revenue Model - Whenever a business name is mentioned in the directions, that counts as an impression. Businesses could also insert advertising, such that if you get directions from A to B, you will see that on your way there, XYZ coffee shop has $1 off lates.

Potential Issues - Won't work well in rural/residential areas as there are no businesses. Also may have issues at night.

Very rough idea overall, but a lot of times I've noticed the standard GPS is easy to miss streets with, and also sometimes I want to know if I'm going somewhere, is there a Starbucks on the way? This could solve both and provide businesses with better advertising incentive to people who are in the area ... rather than existing apps where you as the consumer have to seek out a store/biz via Yelp/Foursquare to find something... this will tell you what you may encounter before you get there.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

911Carrera

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Aug 1, 2011
Here's a quick idea that I probably won't use, so feel free to run with it.

Problem - Traditional GPS apps will give you directions based on street names and streets in general. Generally when you arrive, they will say something like, "your destination is on the right" etc. A lot of times, especially in certain areas or cities, it's hard to read the street signs and even if the GPS app tells you turn right/left, you sometimes miss the street especially if you're not familiar with the area.

Solution - Introduce landmarks (businesses) into the directions, to provide a better visual guide/reference. For example rather than say "turn left at XYZ street", say "you will see XYZ business, take a left after that street" or other ways to incorporate businesses/landmarks into directions to make it easier to know when to turn, keep going "past McDonalds" etc. "Your destination will be on the left, beside Starbucks"

And that would make the direction easier? This would make it harder to follow the direction and a distraction to drivers having to look for businesses on side of the road. How would you include that in current gps systems? Would you have to create your own gps? Sounds like a poorly thought out idea...Thumb down..

D

DeletedUser397

And that would make the direction easier? This would make it harder to follow the direction and a distraction to drivers having to look for businesses on side of the road. How would you include that in current gps systems? Would you have to create your own gps? Sounds like a poorly thought out idea...Thumb down..
You're right, actually I didn't think about how distracting and potentially dangerous it could be. I figured it could be just based off Google Maps API though, or as an iPhone app, off the new iOS 6 Map SDK. There is actually something similar called OnTheWay ? A better way to get there, but it doesn't work very well, even though people have said they like the concept. Maybe that implementation, executed better could be a better use of what I had in mind.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
NO WAY!

Your first post was 100% correct for me!

I am a cheap SOB and already have 2 GPSs thanks to my son giving them to me for 2 different Christmas'

BUT if you made a GPS with the landmark info I would buy it in a second. Seriously. I am always missing the road because where I drive the streets are on top of each other and the speed limit is 45MPH+

I would bet you could make a website where you could plug in your current GPS and add in that info. HOW is that distracting to hear the GPS say

Turn right in 100 feet onto Wall Road immediately after the McDonalds. Yeaaaaaaa ok those extra 4 words are going to make me drive off the road lol

Sometimes people dismiss things WAY too fast.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.