The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Ad/Artwork design

Jeremy Groover

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Nov 26, 2014
Orlando Florida
I'm in the beginning stages of creating a new ad to run for my business, not just on Fb but also on my website. I have this itch to create the ad, or at least most of it by myself. I created my logo on PicMonkey and I was really impressed, but that platform isn't really ideal for creating ad/artwork. I'm not looking to make anything too extravagant or too wild. I'm looking for something that I can create a nice single picture ad and maybe a banner for my website. I am going to use a generic picture of the product I am going to promote but I want a program that I can add nice text to and/or the little bubbles that say "sale" with the price and edit the picture a bit. I know its cheesy and honestly that's sorta what I'm going for with this. I want it to be simple and straight to the point.

So my question is...
For the people doing this themselves, what are you all using to create your ads/product pictures? I would prefer something cheap or free but I am not opposed to spending up to $100.00 on the program. I haven't ventured into photoshop, nor am I even sure that's what I should use.

I am not looking to outsource this at this time, even though it will probably still be suggested. This is something I would like to learn, that way when I do start outsourcing, I can figure out what exactly is going into it and what I am actually paying for.

Jeremy

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
Photoshop CC is $10/mo. There's a learning curve, but the amount of tutorials online make up for it. GIMP is free.

It's not really about outsourcing right away....

Question is: is there another task you could do, which will get you closer to your goal, faster?

Jeremy Groover

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Nov 26, 2014
Orlando Florida
Photoshop CC is $10/mo. There's a learning curve, but the amount of tutorials online make up for it. GIMP is free.

It's not really about outsourcing right away....

Question is: is there another task you could do, which will get you closer to your goal, faster?

At the moment as for other things to do. No.

We are hitting a season in my business where a certain product is desirable, and I would like to promote it as a sale. Marketing to expand my business is at about 80% of full potential for the available budget to market. (I want to save some of that money to purchase the sale product in quantity at a discount).

This is more along the lines of keeping myself busy during my down time (night) when it comes to working my business. I want to develop this ad at night when I can't do a whole lot of other stuff.

DBXI

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Nov 24, 2015
Adobe Photoshop / Illustrator are my tools of choice for graphic works.
Try grabbing the PS trial at: http://www.adobe.com/downloads.html
One thing I normally will do on banners / etc is grab an existing image with the dimensions I want and just paste that into Photoshop. Photoshop will read the clipboard dimensions and then you can file place objects into it.

1) Find out banner / ad dimensions that site requires
2) Get product photography or stock photography https://unsplash.com/ is a great place for high res beautiful stuff.
3) Open up Photoshop and drop some texts ontop of your photos
4) Resize as needed image > image size > adjust width / height pixels
Just made this as an example: http://imgur.com/a/H1xXU

AlphaWulf

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Aug 8, 2016
As people have pointed out, photoshop is the way to go. Plenty of help can be found online and the customization it provides can't be matched by any other program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida

3things

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 17, 2013
Canadia
Have a look at canva - canva.com - it's a pretty slick online image editing/creation tool aimed at images for social media use. No learning curve relative to Photoshop.

I know our social media team at work has moved to use canva for all their stuff with some nice quality results. Means any of them can knock out a good looking image for a post without having to know Photoshop or wait for someone who does.

As a side note, for Facebook I'd err towards or at minimum a b test a more lifestyle type image or a basic video that demonstrates the product - I've almost always found better results the more something looks like content than an ad.

JJ

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jun 11, 2012
California - OC
Does GIMP allow you to manipulate AI files? My designer sent over our new logo in AI files and I have zero art experience.
Hey fellow Belleau, you can open .ai file in Inkscape (free) then export as a pdf or png in order to edit in gimp.

I second Canva. Photoshop/gimp are much more powerful but Canva is better for speed of execution.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Hey fellow Belleau, you can open .ai file in Inkscape (free) then export as a pdf or png in order to edit in gimp.

I second Canva. Photoshop/gimp are much more powerful but Canva is better for speed of execution.

Rah. Thanks, I'll check them out.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.