The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Acres of Diamonds

Anything related to matters of the mind

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Aug 13, 2018
GREAT share! There was more solid value packed into that 10-minute video than in a LOT of hour-long or book-length works.

My Notes

In the year 1843, a man was born who, during his lifetime, was to have an effect on millions of people. One day, a group of boys came to him and wanted a college education but lacked the money to pay for it. An idea began to form in his mind. "Why couldn't there be a fine college for deserving but poor young men?" He raised 7 million dollars by giving more than 6,000 lectures all over the county. And in each one of them, he told the story called "Acres of Diamonds."

There was a farmer who sold his farm to search for diamonds, searching unsuccesfully for diamonds. Finally, in a fit of despondency, broke and desperate, he threw himself into a river and drowned. Meanwhile, the man who had bought his farm discovered that the land was covered with diamonds, and it was to become one of the worlds richest diamond minds.

The first farmer had literally owned acres of diamonds. If only he had educated himself about what diamonds looked like.

The idea is, each of us is, at this moment, standing in the middle of our own acres of diamonds. The area where we are engaged usually holds the riches we seek. There is nothing more pitiful in my mind than the fellow who is chasing the gold at the end of the rainbow.

Perhaps the very thing in which you are now engaged holds the key - do you see the opportunities in the work you are in?

If there seems to be no future or opportunity, it's not always because it's not there. It's because we can't see it.

A farmer once poked a tiny pumpkin in a glass jug. We can poke ourselves into a jug that can limit our growth. But it is we who do the poking. People who become outstanding at their work are those who see their work as opportunities for growth and development.

It takes imagination, creative imagination, to know that diamonds don't look like diamonds in their rough state. Great opporutnities lurk constantly in our work.

Start to develop "intelligent objectivity" - the ability to stand off and look at your as a stranger might.

Start at the beginning. Within your industry or profession, do you know all you can? How did it begin? Who started it and when? What's your industry's annual dollar value? How fast has it grown in the last 20 years? What's the projected growth in the next 10 years?

Be a student of your industry. In 5 years, you could be a national expert in your field.

Some people look at their jobs as the furthest they can go. The end of the line. They need to realize how really desperately the industry seeks the creative person who solves problems.

Those who are not preparing and growing are not just standing still. They are going backwards.

Ask yourself, "Do I know as much about my industry or my skill as a good doctor or knows about his industry/profession?"

To become a professional, study 3 important subjects: 1) Your company & industry 2) Your job and the next step upward (3) Study people

These are three subjects on which you can gradually build a fine home library. Frequently, all you need in order to make an enormous improvement are things you have already known but have forgotten.

Think of ways & means by which you can increase your contribution. You'll notice a wonderful change. "As ye sow, so shall ye reap."

You'll join the top 5% of all people in the world.

You're creating rather than competing.
You're affecting life rather than being affected by it.
You're a creator and giver to life rather than just a receiver.

By taking this attitude, you're automatically taking care of two vital parts of successful living. First, you'll be more interested and enthusiastic about your work, and second, you'll build financial security.

Somewhere, in your present work, there lurks an opportunity that can bring you everything you can possibly want for yourself and your family. It will not be labeled "opportunity." It will be hidden in common, everyday garments.

12 points to remember:
1) If we will develop the wisdom and patience to intelligently and effectively explore the work in which we're now engaged, we will very likely find it contains the riches (tangible and intangible) we seek.

2) Before we go running off into what we think are greener pastures, let's realize our own pasture is proably unlimited.

3) There are no bad jobs. It's the way in which we go about our work that makes it good or bad.

4) Let's not poke ourselves into jugs beyond which we cannot grow. Let's avoid self-limitation.

5) Only self-preparation can ensure our taking advantage of the opportunities which will surely present themselves in the future—opportunities which are around us now. Let's begin to prepare now.

6) Put your imagination to work on the many ways and means of improving what you're now doing.

7) Learn all you can about your job, your company, and your industry.

8) Since there's no limit to the growth of your industry, it must follow there's similarly no limit to your growth potential within that industry.

9) Our dynamic and growing economy needs and will well reward the uncommon person who prepares for a place in its growth.

10) Build your library of reference material pertaining to your company, industry, job, and how to get along with people.

11) Set aside an hour a day for the study and research

12) Remember the story of the acres of diamonds.

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
Interesting to see this come up. I bought this audio program many, many years ago. I keep it in my car. I’ve probably listened to it about 30 times over the years. Sorry if the picture is giant or messed up. I’m posting from my phone as I’m sitting in my car.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Aug 13, 2018

Please SEARCH before posting.