The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Accidentally Going Viral. The TechUnder10 Story (Part Two!)

ToySoldier

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Feb 19, 2017
Toronto
Hey guys!

This was originally posted to /r/entrepreneur on July 26th 2016, two months after my initial post, and one month after I went viral. Here's what happened.

History:
21/M/Toronto. I've an entrepreneur since highschool, and I'm just starting to get the hang of it. My most recent gig was a web design company I founded called Toy Soldier Marketing. Fast forward a couple years, and I've stumbled upon something new.

Desperation is a Great Motivator:
I got fired on Friday. $12/hr at my local gym is the most I've ever made at a normal job. The "marketing" role I signed up for turned out to be event promotion, which wasn't exactly my cup of tea. With no more paychecks coming my way, I'm going all in with TechUnder10.

The Business:
Speaking of which, TechUnder10 is the home of curated tech gifts and gadgets for all under $10. The amazon affiliate marketplace is saturated, but I managed to find myself an untapped niche. The site's currently ad-free and as minimalist as it gets.

Accidentally Going Viral:
I came across an /r/askreddit thread looking for "the coolest gadget you can buy for under 10$". Naturally, I saw it as an awesome opportunity to share my site. Oh boy, was I right.

I hit 128% of my monthly bandwidth in an hour, and on the night of the NBA finals, I spent the hours juggling bandwidth to weather the insane traffic storm.

I thought I had made it. I thought this would last forever. Time to pay off my college loans and move out of my parents' place, right?

The Reality:
Wrong.

The next day I hit 5000 new sessions, then 1000, 500, 300, and well, you get the picture. I also got a 1-year ban from /r/askreddit for breaking their advertising rule. Whoops. My income dropped from $50 an hour to $50 a week. But I was still thrilled. I just got my first taste of the potential this business had. Hell, I even got a couple buyout offers thrown my way.

Analytics:
Over the past two months, I've hit 30k users, 60k page views, a session duration of 2 minutes, and 88% of those are new sessions. I've been earning a 5.2% conversion rate on Amazon, which is steadily increasing.

1. I'm ranked 1st Google and Bing for "Tech Under 10".

2. Both M/F 18-34 from major US cities visit the site the most.

3. There's no limit to how many products can be listed.
Next Steps:
I'm giving this project all I've got. As mentioned in my last thread, the blog, reviews, and Facebook ad campaign are all underway. New products are added often. After a long chat with an old classmate now turned banker, I've made a list of what I this business needs to boom again.

1. A faster dedicated server to increase load times and handle traffic.

2. Someone to constantly populating new products, while I focus on growing the business.

3. Funds to run a larger social media marketing campaign.

4. A mentor to make up for my inexperience in the business world.
When you're 21 and someone throws a buyout offer that could pay your tuition for a year in front of you, it's hard to say no. But I know that I've got what it takes to turn this business into something special. I just need some help along the way. I'm looking for someone who also sees as much potential in this business as I do.

An Update:
As of March 1st 2017, Amazon changed their affiliate payment system, meaning us tech affiliate sites are now earning 0.5-1% on most products, as opposed to the previous figure of up to 8.5%. This means I've taken a large pay cut compared to my previous numbers, and as a result, have put TechUnder10 on the backburner.

For Sale:
As I've diverted my focus back to web design, I've decided to sell TechUnder10. It's been an amazing ride, but I feel as though my focus is better put towards something that can consistently cash out, without an intermediary having control of your payout.

If anyone's interested in the site, I'm all ears. Thought I'd share it on TFF before I let that information out anywhere else.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

KSR

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 28, 2017
Australia
Complete stitch up from Amazon but I hope you can take quite a bit from this and apply it to your next business :)

Mac

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 10, 2015
Why not just sell the same products and dropship them? Or buy up some inventory? You've built a platform, why not move onto selling your own stuff?

ToySoldier

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Feb 19, 2017
Toronto
Why not just sell the same products and dropship them? Or buy up some inventory? You've built a platform, why not move onto selling your own stuff?

Without Amazon's logistics, there's no way I can sell these (or similar) items for anywhere near $10. The shipping cost from Canada alone would kill me, unfortunately.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
So why quit? Because Amazon killed their affiliate payment? Entrepreneurship is never about easy solutions.

As of March 1st 2017, Amazon changed their affiliate payment system, meaning us tech affiliate sites are now earning 0.5-1% on most products, as opposed to the previous figure of up to 8.5%.

Have you read TMF ? The Commandment of Control would have foretold your day of ruin. Nonetheless, sounded like a great learning experience. Thank you for posting your story.

ToySoldier

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Feb 19, 2017
Toronto
So why quit? Because Amazon killed their affiliate payment? Entrepreneurship is never about easy solutions.

Have you read TMF ? The Commandment of Control would have foretold your day of ruin. Nonetheless, sounded like a great learning experience.

Hey MJ,

I was hoping I'd see a reply from you one of these days!

I read TMF way back in 2011, when I was still in highschool, and you're right. Amazon held all the control in that relationship, however it was a fantastic learning experience, and a great passive income stream.

At this point I'm working on a new project that's a much better use of my time, which doesn't leave my earning potential in the hands of someone else. I'll be sure to post a full writeup on the new business when it's ready for you guys :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.