The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

A young entrepreneur's idea: 'Shotspresso: A convenient bottle of high caffeinated coffee shot'

Jayw555

New Contributor
Jul 11, 2019
Hey FL Entrepreneurs,

Little bit of background, my name is Jay & I've actually just joined the forum but i've been ghosting on the site for over a half a year now. I don't even remember how i came to find this site. The more i discover about people's authentic stories and reading up to much of the discussion going around, i realized that these are the communities that can propel more like-minded entrepreneurs to chase their dreams. Many people on this forum are just dwindling on their ideas, some are in the process of executing and a minority of the people here have made their dreams come true. This is my first time posting onto this forum and i hope to participate to the future new threads. I'm 23 years old from Melbourne, Australia. Having to scale a business in the bay area in the USA would be a dream of mine i would say.

Anyhow, i've been working on a business idea i had for the broad consumer beverage market. The idea is called 'Shotspresso' and it's a bit further than an idea now, i have some prototypes and a full beverage with shelf-life testing done. Shotspresso is a tiny 1.35Oz/40mL shot of cold brew coffee which contains 150mg of caffeine. Shotspresso is very convenient and portable in ways that you can bring Shotspresso in your pocket to have a strong boost of natural coffee energy wherever you go. Check out some of the pictures below:
25678 25679

As you can see, it's definitely smaller than the phone (Samsung S8 for reference), and the slim figure makes it all comfortable in the pocket. Truck drivers can use this during their long drives with no cafe's to stop by. Late night students or office workers may use this if they wish to have fast caffeine without leaving their desk. I guess it's similar to the major company's 5-Hour Energy, except, this is the natural coffee version. I travelled overseas to source great coffee beans because taste is important too. But the aim of this product is to sell convenience to people. I also launched on Kickstarter too but i'm not here to advertise anything, if you want to check it out, just search 'Shotspresso' and it should appear.

Has anyone here been involved in the beverage industry? And what do you think of the product? I'd love to hear your raw thoughts and answer any questions.

P.s. I'm working on this myself so pressure is high, i wish i went out to find a passionate co-founder. Anyone experience this too?

Any advise would also be appreciated, thanks all,
Jay

Become a Fastlane INSIDER to view the forum ad free.

Siddhartha

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Mar 30, 2019
Good Idea, I see what you're going for,

HOWEVER

What can you do that Forto Doesn't? It's a nestle/coca-cola operation that now sells organic coffee with hershey/nestle company flavorings for around 2.50$ a shot.

OP
OP
Jayw555

Jayw555

New Contributor
Jul 11, 2019

HOWEVER

View attachment 25681
What can you do that Forto Doesn't? It's a nestle/coca-cola operation that now sells organic coffee with hershey/nestle company flavorings for around 2.50$ a shot.
Hey! Yeah Forto is pretty established and Shotspresso is a little bit different the way i designed and wanted to position our brand in the market: (I won't paragraph you, dont worry ;P )
1. Our Shot's are cheaper to produce $0.4 so we might have a price advantage
2. Forto's high price for a shot is quite expensive in my opinion given it's size, i think they could've potentially ignored the large student and youth market who majority live on coffee nowadays (like myself). I did some calculations and student's (university especially) have such a big market which $2.5 can be a deterrence for frequent use. With proper machinery and lower costs, i can eventually get my sale prices down to $1.3/retail. I prefer a High sales-low cost model than a medium sales-high cost model for this kind of consumer product. Just my opinion and analysis.
3. Our Shot's are smaller, slimmer and is a thin design which fit's easier and more comfortably in people's pockets
4. Their design wouldn't match to fit Hotels. One of my business model if it works, is to get into hotel distribution, so frequent travellers who need to get in-and-out of hotels after check in can grab a shot and leave. Our 'classy' and minimalist bottle design would look nice on a hotel desk or room desk.
5. Small advantage on this 5th point: Our product looks more, if you could say 'aesthetic' and can prompt lots of social media Instagram shares. But this is not too important.

Right now, i'm looking to get a 12-month shelf life from it's current 5-month shelf life.

There's probably more to pinpoint but those are some of the top of my head, our shot's are also higher in caffeine volume wise. Thanks for your question though, i need to list these if i ever had a chance to use a pitch deck!

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
getUnscripted.com
Love it! (Although I wouldn't be a user, trying to minimize caffeine intake!)

PizzaOnTheRoof

1% Better Every Day
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
INFLUENCER MARKETING AND SOCIAL MEDIA

HOWEVER

View attachment 25681
All I see here is market validation...

msufan

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Mar 13, 2013
This is an incredibly polished idea with an already-proven demand. Impressive!

jesseissorude

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 12, 2014
Nashville
www.rudetech.com
Came here to post about Forto Coffee too. I used to manage their on-site email collections.

1. Our Shot's are cheaper to produce $0.4 so we might have a price advantage
Sounds like you are trying to compete on price. I don't love it.
Plus, if you plan to beat Nestle/Coca-cola on price, you'll be in for a world of hurt.

2. Forto's high price for a shot is quite expensive in my opinion given it's size... With proper machinery and lower costs, i can eventually get my sale prices down to $1.3/retail. I prefer a High sales-low cost model than a medium sales-high cost model.
Related to #1. It does look like you are trying to brand as more "high end" with the packaging, but then coming in cheaper?
Also, Forto does really high volume. They are in most fancy grocery stores in addition to the other distribution channels you've mentioned. If you are trying to beat them on volume, you'll have a looong way to go and you'll likely need some runway capital, plan to run at a loss for a year as you get an economy of scale, and possibly find an investor (he/she will want equity, I'm sure).

If you do that, then you have one way in which the business can succeed. You need the stars to align and all the really high volume distribution to fall into place. If you don't have a team of employees beating the streets to get you into new stores, you'll have a lot of trouble getting that huge scale.

Just trust me, you aren't going to beat Forto on volume unless you get some major investor backing quickly. Forto's basically piggybacked on Nestle's distribution. Their main advantage is their reach and trust in their parent company.
(Fun for you though! If you take off on a small scale, you could be looking at an acquisition from Pepsi.)

That's ok though. If you are the "higher end" version, you can have a higher price and lower volume.

3. Our Shot's are smaller, slimmer and is a thin design which fit's easier and more comfortably in people's pockets
Neat!

4. Their design wouldn't match to fit Hotels. ...
This is an assumption. Can you test that?
Maybe there's a local hotel that you can find the manager of and take him/her out to coffee. What do they consider when stocking the lobby with snacks? They might even give you more ideas on how to be their ideal candidate if hotels are so important to your model.

...One of my business model if it works, is to get into hotel distribution, so frequent travellers who need to get in-and-out of hotels after check in can grab a shot and leave. Our 'classy' and minimalist bottle design would look nice on a hotel desk or room desk.

5. Small advantage on this 5th point: Our product looks more, if you could say 'aesthetic' and can prompt lots of social media Instagram shares. But this is not too important.
These two are basically the same. In a sentence it's "My product looks more elegant."

Honestly, it sounds like you have a little brand schizophrenia.
  • "I'm the more aesthetic, classy, minimalist one that will make travelers in fancy hotels not worry about skipping their Starbucks."

vs.

• "I'm cheaper and going to do higher volume. High sales, low cost."

Also the fact that Forto exists is GREAT for you. You have something people will compare you to (and a product that's already validated the market for you).

I think your next step is to decide what your brand identity is. Are you competing on price, or are you the Ferrari of coffee shots?
There's no right answer, but you'll need to settle on one or the other and pursue that vision 100%

Last edited:

Become a Fastlane INSIDER to view the forum ad free.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
And what do you think of the product? I'd love to hear your raw thoughts and answer any questions.
I'll play devil's advocate and toss some questions at you.

Why's this more valuable than the dozens of tiny coffees that are in every single convenient store in Asia?

Here's what I'm thinking of:

Asian convenient store are filled with products that would fit a similar need to yours, however, there's likely a reason why they haven't caught on in the U.S.

There's Red Bulls that are a similar size to your shotspresso as well.

Then, there's products that are not coffee, but even more convenient - such as caffeine pills. Why would someone carry around a product that has to be refrigerated for taste if they can just take a pill?

Scot

Ductus Exemplo
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Came here to post about Forto Coffee too. I used to manage their on-site email collections.
Well damn, I wish Rep$ still existed so I could drop $500 in your account for that perfect write up.

Scot

Ductus Exemplo
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
@Jayw555 Glad to see another Food & Bev guy on the forum. I hope you stick around.

@jesseissorude hit on almost every main point I was going to make, so I wont beat a dead horse.

One thing I will reiterate though is the capital cost for this. Forto, being owned by Hershey is going to beat you hands down on distribution. You will need to really focus on what makes you different and better. While you can't outspend them, you'll still need to hemorrhage cash to break into their market. You'll never turn a profit on this company. But that's fine. I don't ever plan on turning a profit on my company either. I'll let Kraft Heinz figure that out after they acquire my brand.

Check out the book High Hanging Fruit. Its about Zico Coconut water and I think it'll be super relevant to you.

Also, has anyone seen Midwestlandlord lately? He'd be perfect to help out on this thread because he know's C store distribution so well.

Justice Beaver

New Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Apr 2, 2019
Austin, TX
This is an awesome idea. I made a thread recently about a food business idea I have so we should definitely get in contact if you're interested (although obviously yours is a beverage)

p.s. as far as the cane sugar goes as a sweetener, look up if you haven't already on erythritol, a natural sugar alcohol. I'm considering using it for testing my product in pretty small amounts because there seems to be a pretty decent amount of research done on it with tons of benefits. Might be worthwhile for you to test.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom