The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A Writer With the Wrong Topic?

stepbystep

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jan 24, 2017
Seattle
Several months ago I began writing a small e-book. The idea was to write two books. The first I would publish. The second I would give away for free to build an email list. About 1/3 of the way through the first book I began reading the Millionaire Fastlane . I immediately began to feel guilty about the book that I was writing.

What was I writing? A book about how to improve your credit. After I graduated from college I found it very difficult to find a job. It was the middle of the recession. When I did find a job, my credit was in shambles.

I used various techniques, combined with responsibility, and a lot of work to rebuild my credit in a very short period of time. So, several months ago I began writing the book. I have since finished the first book, and i'm now 3/4 of the way through the second book.

After finishing TMF , I made a point to include, in both books, the fact that saving money and building credit, while important, will only get you so far. In order to go further, you must solve problems/open a business.

Yet, I feel it may be the antithesis of TMF . My goal is to complete both books, publish the first, give away the second, build an email list, and potentially do seminars on credit repair. While this is happening, I intend to write a third book on a tangentially related topic.

But, what do you folks think. Would that make me just another guru that MJ talks about. Should I scrap both books and move onto my third topic? What do you think?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

stepbystep

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jan 24, 2017
Seattle
Are the credit repair techniques that you teach adding value to people's lives and solving problems they have, in a non scammy way?
Yes they are. Absolutely. I used these techniques myself to improve my own credit. Essentially, the book teaches people how their credit score is calculated, and how they can use that knowledge to improve their credit score without having to wait 7 years. It won't happen over night, but they don't have to wait the better part of a decade either. It also teaches people what to do if they're past due on bills, and being inundated with calls from collectors. It also has links and phone numbers to government agencies that could assist them further. Basically, just advice on how they can improve their credit with a little work and persistence.

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
The fastlane isn't for everyone.

Your target audience isn't really fastlaners. So stick to the topic imo. If the book is about building credit, write about building credit, not starting a CENTS business...

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I feel it may be the antithesis of TMF .

Not really. The things you describe are related to discipline and very important for a Fastlane. However like @Waspy mentioned, your audience is probably in the Slowlaner category and different than what you would find here.

steelandchrome

Author of The Retail Leader Book.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Nov 6, 2016
Goodyear Az
Definitely don't scrap the books especially as far along as you are. Worst case they don't turn into much but put them out there and see what happens so you didn't waste your time writing them to not know what could have been.... I would second the fact of focusing the book on just the main topic and removing any additions of starting a business as that really has no relevance to someone that would be searching for a way to decrease debt and increase credit score.

Maybe you lead from credit repair and increasing score to how to budget properly and not get into debt, then a beginners guide to investing with the money saved from the first two steps, to how to maximize credit card reward perks and which ones are best (possible affiliate links in a few of these for more passive income)... Keep the line of books tied together and I would think you would have a higher conversion rate for repeat purchasers.

stepbystep

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jan 24, 2017
Seattle
Definitely don't scrap the books especially as far along as you are. Worst case they don't turn into much but put them out there and see what happens so you didn't waste your time writing them to not know what could have been.... I would second the fact of focusing the book on just the main topic and removing any additions of starting a business as that really has no relevance to someone that would be searching for a way to decrease debt and increase credit score.

Maybe you lead from credit repair and increasing score to how to budget properly and not get into debt, then a beginners guide to investing with the money saved from the first two steps, to how to maximize credit card reward perks and which ones are best (possible affiliate links in a few of these for more passive income)... Keep the line of books tied together and I would think you would have a higher conversion rate for repeat purchasers.

That’s good advice. Thank You. Both books have large sections on budgeting. The second book in particular. I like your idea about keeping the line of books tied together. It would definitely help build a customer base.

The way I see it, this model obeys 4 out of the 5 CENTS commandments. It solves a market need. It’s potentially scalable. The book/books may follow the commandment of time (it may depend on the method I use to build an audience). And, if I’m successful in building a line of books, it should follow the commandant of entry.

The only one it doesn’t follow is control. My intention is to release the book/books on Amazon. That’s a serious loss of control. But, it’s still early in the game. I may be able to disconnect myself from that at some point.

In the past, I had several ideas, which solved problems, and obeyed all 5 CENTS commandments. I wouldn’t realize how close I had really been, to being financially independent, until I read TMF . Maybe I can write a post, on the forum, about the mistakes I made, and how TMF educated me on what those mistakes were. I could offer my past experience as an example of what not to do. Maybe someone would find that kind of post useful.

JSM

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Nov 19, 2016
Keep it up! There are many more slowlaners/sidewalkers out there than there are fastlaners!

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
If you're providing actual value, then there's no reason to fear becoming a fake "guru". There's tens of millions of people that have BS credit card debt in America, so there's Need and Scale.

I wouldn't get too bogged down in whether your customers share your "fastlane" worldview. The beauty of capitalism is that the two parties can exchange value without sharing anything but belief in the value of the transaction.

Good luck!

Disciple96

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Mar 5, 2016
USA
Hey dog, thought I'd chime in here.

Others have said it, as long as you're truly helping people and providing real value, then keep it up.

The real question you have to answer: where is the art? As a writer, it can cause unnecessary problems if you're not fully involved in your art. Don't just double down, go all in or go home.

Edit: I should clarify. It is important to have a vision to create. Business is an artform, without the art then what is it really?

I'm not talking about making paintings, just use your skills to send a message and create a community of those who are likeminded.

Last edited:

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
Others have said it, as long as you're truly helping people and providing real value, then keep it up.

The real question you have to answer: where is the art? As a writer, it can cause unnecessary problems if you're not fully involved in your art. Don't just double down, go all in or go home.

You understand that these two concepts are contradictory right? Providing value to others is outward focused. Prioritizing being "fully involved in your art" is inward focused. One is selfish, the other is about other people. You can still get enjoyment from providing value to others, but your own enjoyment can't be the driving force.

Have you read the book, perchance?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
My intention is to release the book/books on Amazon. That’s a serious loss of control. But, it’s still early in the game. I may be able to disconnect myself from that at some point.

(I've not done this yet, but know it's a strategy authors use with Amazon.)

Put your first book up free on Amazon and other places where people search for books on improving their credit rating. (This is your first free "lead magnet".)

In the front and back of this first free eBook, you link to a second free eBook or other resource that they can get from a page on your website (something like www.stepbystep.com/free).

On that page people exchange their email address to get your second free lead magnet.

On the Thank You page after they give their email address you *could* have a sales page for your paid for eBook, or other resources.

Setup an autoresponder series of daily/weekly email tips and learnings from your own story.

Get them to know, like, and trust you, and offer them your paid for resource(s).

Do this right, and you're getting a steady trickle of people from Amazon (the third biggest search engine in the world) to your website, and onto an email list that YOU own.

Amazon is now just a marketing channel for you. It's one of many ways HOW you build your email list of people who want to repair their credit rating.

Voila... no more worries about Amazon and "lack of control".

Disclaimer: I've never done this. I'm not a lawyer, guru, or author, so do your due diligence. It sounds sensible though, and I won't take any commission for any future sales you make. Carry on!

(Also, lots of great self-publishing threads in here. Check out @ChickenHawk and @MTF in particular.)

Last edited:

Disciple96

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Mar 5, 2016
USA
I
You understand that these two concepts are contradictory right? Providing value to others is outward focused. Prioritizing being "fully involved in your art" is inward focused. One is selfish, the other is about other people. You can still get enjoyment from providing value to others, but your own enjoyment can't be the driving force.

Have you read the book, perchance?

Of course I have. Wouldn't be where I am without it.

I recently learned a new word:

Doublethink: the act of simultaneously accepting two mutually contradictory beliefs as correct, often in distinct social contexts.

I totally agree with what you're saying. The art can't be the only driving force, there must be external forces at work.

However, could we not agree that it is a spectrum? And that there are many successful people who have worked towards these factors both mutually and independent of each other?

In that case, an author will question their art (because business is an artform) if they don't develop a reason to create that message. If you have no platform, your voice will be small. Your messages as an artist must be congruent with your goals and your vision.

Without expressing a message as an artist you are stuck. Stuck like the old man who owns the gas station or grocery store in a rural town and never creates a larger vision for his future.

It is VITAL that you both take action for the sake of others and more importantly, yourself (for the sake of others)

There is always a balance to be made. Follow the commandments and you'll be fine.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
I

Of course I have. Wouldn't be where I am without it.

I recently learned a new word:

Doublethink: the act of simultaneously accepting two mutually contradictory beliefs as correct, often in distinct social contexts.

I totally agree with what you're saying. The art can't be the only driving force, there must be external forces at work.

However, could we not agree that it is a spectrum? And that there are many successful people who have worked towards these factors both mutually and independent of each other?

In that case, an author will question their art (because business is an artform) if they don't develop a reason to create that message. If you have no platform, your voice will be small. Your messages as an artist must be congruent with your goals and your vision.

Without expressing a message as an artist you are stuck. Stuck like the old man who owns the gas station or grocery store in a rural town and never creates a larger vision for his future.

It is VITAL that you both take action for the sake of others and more importantly, yourself (for the sake of others)

There is always a balance to be made. Follow the commandments and you'll be fine.

We're talking about credit repair.

Not sure what you're talking about, banksy.

Disciple96

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Mar 5, 2016
USA
We're talking about credit repair.

Not sure what you're talking about, banksy.

We were talking about how OPs message may not be suitable for him. I was simply elaborating on what it means to have a message.

What was yours, again?

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
We were talking about how OPs message may not be suitable for him. I was simply elaborating on what it means to have a message.

What was yours, again?

Nice. :rofl:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!