The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A world I never knew existed

Originsofchase

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Jun 3, 2019
Keller, Texas
I stumbled onto this forum about 1.5 months ago by accident(I believe I typed “business finance basics” into Google). I’ve been reading and learning non-stop since that day. I’ve read TMFL and unscripted - thanks MJ you have shifted my perspective and mindset for the better.

Back story:
I was born in 1989. My mother worked at a bank and my father was an EMT. When I was 12 years old I watched my father pass away at the age of 38. So my mom raised my sister and I by herself. Looking back I don’t know how she pulled that off.

At 17 I graduated high school and set my sights on college. In 2012, I graduated with a BSN in nursing and subsequently got married at the age of 22(my wife is also a nurse). I landed a job at a large hospital in DFW. The next year we purchased a house. The housing market was in the tank at that time, so we got a great deal on it. It now has 200K+ in equity.

Fast forward 4 years to 2016. I was getting burned out at work, dreading every shift. My wife transitioned to part time and I worked my way into a higher paying position. That same year we had our first son. This rocked our world. Our lives were turned upside down, in a good way. I had 6 weeks of leave after his birth. This gave me a full 6 weeks of not even giving one thought about work, just time with family and time to think about life. The weeks flew by in what seemed like 7 days. I went back to work and realized I was just a cog in the wheel. I remember thinking, there has to be more to life than this. I could never quite put my finger on it.

2 years later(last year) we had our second son. This, once again, turned our lives upside down. I had 6 weeks away from work. This time, realizing we now have two children to raise, I racked my brain trying to come up with ways to “make more money.” The SCRIPT had a death grip on me. I was trying to raise my intrinsic value. “Do I go back to school? How can I advance further?” I did not think going back to school was worth it, time severely outbalanced money.

Fast forward 1 year. Our sons are now 3 and 1 years old. We are at the mercy of our managers when it comes to scheduling/paid time off - and this really infuriates me. Every time my schedule was changed or PTO was denied, the fire grew a little hotter. I hit the point where I told myself “This is bullshit. There has to be a better way.”

It got to the point that it kept me up at night. I scoured the internet and researched constantly. At home, at work, anywhere. I was determined to figure something out. 1.5 months ago I searched for business finance basics and this forum popped up. I began reading and my eyes were opened. After reading the books and everyone’s comments/experiences, I see the world through a different lens. It’s a world I never knew existed. I am in the process of figuring out our next steps. Although it’s a bit overwhelming, I have to power through.

“Dead at twenty-five but not buried until seventy-five. Goals, nonexistent. Optimism, scant. Dreams, murdered.” This quote hit me like a freight train.

Thank you MJ for writing your books. Thank you to everyone that regularly posts on this forum, y’all are greatly cutting down my learning curve and providing tremendous value. I hope one day I can give back and do the same.

If you could go back in time and tell yourself one thing at the beginning of your entrepreneurship journey, what would it be?

Thanks for your time.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Sadik

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
Jan 26, 2017
Kolkata, India
If you could go back in time and tell yourself one thing at the beginning of your entrepreneurship journey, what would it be?
This is very personal and a story I might share someday. But the answer to your question is, Don't be afraid of beginning alone, Don't give up when those you hope to partner with don't share your vision. It's ok to fail, just start with what is good enough and on the journey you will get better.

Welcome my friend. I have three small kids so I understand how tough it is to find the time. Make their future your motivation. All the Best.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
I stumbled onto this forum about 1.5 months ago by accident(I believe I typed “business finance basics” into Google). I’ve been reading and learning non-stop since that day. I’ve read TMFL and unscripted - thanks MJ you have shifted my perspective and mindset for the better.

Back story:
I was born in 1989. My mother worked at a bank and my father was an EMT. When I was 12 years old I watched my father pass away at the age of 38. So my mom raised my sister and I by herself. Looking back I don’t know how she pulled that off.

At 17 I graduated high school and set my sights on college. In 2012, I graduated with a BSN in nursing and subsequently got married at the age of 22(my wife is also a nurse). I landed a job at a large hospital in DFW. The next year we purchased a house. The housing market was in the tank at that time, so we got a great deal on it. It now has 200K+ in equity.

Fast forward 4 years to 2016. I was getting burned out at work, dreading every shift. My wife transitioned to part time and I worked my way into a higher paying position. That same year we had our first son. This rocked our world. Our lives were turned upside down, in a good way. I had 6 weeks of leave after his birth. This gave me a full 6 weeks of not even giving one thought about work, just time with family and time to think about life. The weeks flew by in what seemed like 7 days. I went back to work and realized I was just a cog in the wheel. I remember thinking, there has to be more to life than this. I could never quite put my finger on it.

2 years later(last year) we had our second son. This, once again, turned our lives upside down. I had 6 weeks away from work. This time, realizing we now have two children to raise, I racked my brain trying to come up with ways to “make more money.” The SCRIPT had a death grip on me. I was trying to raise my intrinsic value. “Do I go back to school? How can I advance further?” I did not think going back to school was worth it, time severely outbalanced money.

Fast forward 1 year. Our sons are now 3 and 1 years old. We are at the mercy of our managers when it comes to scheduling/paid time off - and this really infuriates me. Every time my schedule was changed or PTO was denied, the fire grew a little hotter. I hit the point where I told myself “This is bullshit. There has to be a better way.”

It got to the point that it kept me up at night. I scoured the internet and researched constantly. At home, at work, anywhere. I was determined to figure something out. 1.5 months ago I searched for business finance basics and this forum popped up. I began reading and my eyes were opened. After reading the books and everyone’s comments/experiences, I see the world through a different lens. It’s a world I never knew existed. I am in the process of figuring out our next steps. Although it’s a bit overwhelming, I have to power through.

“Dead at twenty-five but not buried until seventy-five. Goals, nonexistent. Optimism, scant. Dreams, murdered.” This quote hit me like a freight train.

Thank you MJ for writing your books. Thank you to everyone that regularly posts on this forum, y’all are greatly cutting down my learning curve and providing tremendous value. I hope one day I can give back and do the same.

Thanks for your time.

Awesome to have you here!

I would tell myself more than one thing....

it would be to do the fricken math!! see if the business you are spending time on can take you where you need to go or be a nice stepping stone to the desired destination.

2. Take action just go god dam it! You only learn by doing, the further I go down this rabbit hole the truer this statement ring's every god dam time.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
it would be to do the fricken math!!

Yes, make sure what you're working on has the long-term vision of being able to make a difference in your life.

Thank you MJ for writing your books.

You're welcome and thank you for the awesome intro. So happy that the books resonated with you!

Originsofchase

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Jun 3, 2019
Keller, Texas
Make their future your motivation.
Yep, nailed it. This is my driving force.

it would be to do the fricken math!!!
Yes, make sure what you're working on has the long-term vision of being able to make a difference in your life.

This is what I am in the process of wrapping my mind around. This is a total 180 from what I have been doing my entire life. I’ve been doing quite a bit of reading and researching. Applying the CENTS framework to every idea I come up with.

Thanks guys.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Yep, nailed it. This is my driving force.

This is what I am in the process of wrapping my mind around. This is a total 180 from what I have been doing my entire life. I’ve been doing quite a bit of reading and researching. Applying the CENTS framework to every idea I come up with.

Thanks guys.

I think of CENTS now as sort of the holy grail.

Just because a business doesn't meet all of the CENTS commandments doesn't mean it can't change your life for the better. Do take action, but be sure to do the mathematics to make sure it is worth your time and can take you where you want to go.

Math as in.

insurance costs.
cost of goods.
How many units sold you need to reach your desired goal.
marketing costs etc.

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
Welcome to the forum and very informative intro. There's a wealth of knowledge and experience throughout the threads. Keep taking it all in. As you run into to challenges ahead - and trust me, they're will be many and they aren't going to be fun - remember we're all hear for each other.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Applying the CENTS framework to every idea I come up with.

Just don't let it KILL any action at all!

Originsofchase

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Jun 3, 2019
Keller, Texas
Just don't let it KILL any action at all!

Perfectly timed thread. I’ve read it a couple of times and realized that is exactly what I’m doing. Thanks.

Awesome intro! Perhaps you could use your medical knowledge/experience to sell people some form of needed value?
I’ve been thinking about this angle. There are a lot of things in healthcare that are inefficient or don’t make sense.

Math as in.

insurance costs.
cost of goods.
How many units sold you need to reach your desired goal.
marketing costs etc.

Noted, thanks.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.