The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A week of work down the drain...

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
This is post's purpose is nothing more than simply me venting out my anger.

I'm trying to become self-employed by following Fox's guide to web design <GOLD! - How to Learn Code, Start a Web Company, $15k+ per month within 9 months>.

After making a couple cold calls and finally getting my first "go ahead" from a business to improve their website for free, I couldn't wait to show them all the web design I learned. After a week of carefully painstakingly organizing, designing, and detailing the website, I was done. I enthusiastically called them to show my work, it was undoubtedly miles better than the 2004 website they currently had.

"Mr. Romero is not interested."

"Wait, what? Did you remind him that it was free? Did he look at it?"

"Yes, he remembers it was free. He didn't look at it. He says he's not interested anymore."

WHAT. THE. ACTUAL. f*ck. Okay, I know I'm not entitled to anything. Mr. Romero doesn't HAVE to do anything just because I worked hard. But I am f*cking furious. It just really sucks that he told me it's okay to try to redesign the website, and now WITHOUT EVEN f*ckING LOOKING AT IT, he decides to bail. A week of work, gone.

Don't get me wrong, I already have another really successful business owner (family) who doesn't have a website, and is willing to give me my shot. I'm going to keep the process rolling. I'm going to put everything I have AND MORE to DEMOLISH his expectations.

I'm not pro-deportation of Mexicans, but for a hot minute there, for a moment, I fully understood the hatred because I wanted Mr. Romero and his entire family to be deported.

Chill. The reason you're doing free stuff is to get experience, you got experience.

Why don't you go to Mr Romero's competitor and say this is what I could do for you?

It's only a waste of time if you view it that way.

I do feel you though, sounds frustrating, however you don't know what's going on in the guys life. Business could be failing, wife left him, etc. etc.

You've got a client lined up, go get more, and by the way, good hustle so far, keep it up!

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Why so furious? It’s a learning that things don’t go to plan, and people say one thing and do another.

What will you do different going forward, not just with free websites but also with paid?

EatMan

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Aug 28, 2018
The reason you're doing free stuff is to get experience, you got experience.

Yeah, I have learned a ton, and refined my website making process quite a bit from the experience, so I do see the experience as a win for me, but after that phone call, I just needed to get it off my chest. I'm good now!

What will you do different going forward, not just with free websites but also with paid?

If I'm being honest with myself, there were red flags, but I was so anxious to get started that I ignored them. For example, Mr. Romero was really rude, dismissive, and cut me off every chance he got. He also didn't respond to my follow-up email where I thanked him for the opportunity and asked if there were any features he'd like added.

I learned that the job is only as good as actual client, so I need to filter out BAD clients.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
357%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
I want to revisit this part, because even though it was called out, it still seems it was glossed over:
I'm not pro-deportation of Mexicans, but for a hot minute there, for a moment, I fully understood the hatred because I wanted Mr. Romero and his entire family to be deported.
So there were red flags telling you not to do the project, he never responded to tell you what features he wanted, you built the website, and when he didn't look at it you blame it on the fact that he's Mexican?

I want that to really sink in for a moment. I'll wait.

If he wasn't Mexican (are you even sure he is?), would you still want him deported? Your personal views are going to heavily influence the way you run your business, and ultimately its success or failure. I would encourage you to take some time for introspection.

whiz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
Nov 29, 2017
New Jersey
This thread derailed quickly

My thoughts

1) So you "lost" a week of time. Big deal - be prepared to have let-downs far beyond your wildest imagination. The more you prospect, the more you'll realize that people's wishy-washyness is the default. You have to work real hard to refine your marketing, sales, and offer to the point where you hit at a good rate.

It's all about averages bro. Even if 1% of your prospects turn to paying customers, you can profit if you price correctly.

F*ck Mr. Romero - move on. You already spent too much time on him by making this thread. Just make the next phonecall or email

2) Also don't work that hard - make the home page and explain the benefits and give them a little demo and whatnot. But you should not be spending a "week" on a demo for someone unless it's a huge company and you have the opportunity to make alot of money. I'd spend maybe 2-4 hours designing a presentation or package and then showing them

3) I love me a good joke but they're supposed to be funny. No need to talk about the mans ethnicity. We're here to talk about entrepreneurship - his background is irrelevant

p.s. I put "lost" in quotes because you'll realize that 90% of entrepreneurship is failure and "lost" time

There's no such thing as time lost - only lessons learned

It's necessary learning. You have to go through it - so congrats on your first lesson that neither Mr. Romero nor the world doesn't owe you shit

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
689%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Id also edit your post and remove that joke. It definitely can be misread as you being serious.

It will only sidetrack a thread that already has some solid posts. Keep going man and make it work.

EatMan

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Aug 28, 2018
This is post's purpose is nothing more than simply me venting out my anger.

I'm trying to become self-employed by following Fox's guide to web design <GOLD! - How to Learn Code, Start a Web Company, $15k+ per month within 9 months>.

After making a couple cold calls and finally getting my first "go ahead" from a business to improve their website for free, I couldn't wait to show them all the web design I learned. After a week of carefully painstakingly organizing, designing, and detailing the website, I was done. I enthusiastically called them to show my work, it was undoubtedly miles better than the 2004 website they currently had.

"Mr. Romero is not interested."

"Wait, what? Did you remind him that it was free? Did he look at it?"

"Yes, he remembers it was free. He didn't look at it. He says he's not interested anymore."

WHAT. THE. ACTUAL. F*ck. Okay, I know I'm not entitled to anything. Mr. Romero doesn't HAVE to do anything just because I worked hard. But I am F*cking furious. It just really sucks that he told me it's okay to try to redesign the website, and now WITHOUT EVEN F*ckING LOOKING AT IT, he decides to bail. A week of work, gone.

Don't get me wrong, I already have another really successful business owner (family) who doesn't have a website, and is willing to give me my shot. I'm going to keep the process rolling. I'm going to put everything I have AND MORE to DEMOLISH his expectations.

(Edit: This was a hyperbolic joke to symbolize my frustrations at the time. I am neither serious nor anti-Mexican in any way) I'm not pro-deportation of Mexicans, but for a hot minute there, for a moment, I fully understood the hatred because I wanted Mr. Romero and his entire family to be deported.

Last edited:

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn

LMAOOOOOOO :inpain:

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
689%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
If I'm being honest with myself, there were red flags, but I was so anxious to get started that I ignored them. For example, Mr. Romero was really rude, dismissive, and cut me off every chance he got. He also didn't respond to my follow-up email where I thanked him for the opportunity and asked if there were any features he'd like added.

Ya all massive red flags. You got to screen your clients - whether its free or not.

I would try do another with someone where the trust/respect levels are better.
Look at your network, who do you know, and then who do they know.

It's not a Mexican thing lol - I just did a full free site for a Mexican gym and had no issues.

Free isn't really free, they still put their business online so there is risk involved.
So you need someone who is invested and willing to see what you can do.

Anyway you already do more than most will ever do towards their goals so just keep going.
I had a 14-year-old kid demand endless changes on one of my first projects - it's common when starting to slip up like this.

Best of luck!

jon.M

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jul 4, 2016
Sweden
Wait.......what? Did y'all miss this?

iu

AlexFS

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 20, 2018
I guess that what comes with trying to run/start a business - dealing with clients. In the end once you grow, you will definitely have a choice in the clients you take on. Still better than having someone tell you what to do for the next 40 years.. Congrats on taking action!

samuraijack

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jul 27, 2014
New York, New York

Wait.......what? Did y'all miss this?

JByers210

Entrepreneur
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
410%
Apr 14, 2017
United States
I similarly started off a couple years ago trying to get into web design. After taking all the courses and teaching myself a bunch for a month or two I made one for a pizza place down the road with a terrible website.

It took me a ton of time (and some money) to get it right and get everything looking good. I went and showed them my finished work....and they ignored me without thinking twice about it. Mine blew theirs out of the water.

Stuff happens. Not everyone feels like their business needs a professional website that looks good.

I would stay away from saying things like wanting an entire family to get deported.

therealmark

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
254%
Dec 27, 2017
Spokane WA
Sounds like you interpreted Mr. Romero’s response as approval to go forward.

That’s a great lesson to learn. Be excited that you learned the lesson with only losing a handful of hours and not thousands of dollars.

Was he excited about getting your help. Did Mr. Romero invest a good amount of time and possibly money in preparation with you before you started on the design?

Did Mr. Romero sign anything?

I go against the grain I guess but I don’t work for free ever. That doesn’t sound like entrepreneurship at all to me. You can find someone to pay you.

When something is free it isn’t respected.

EatMan

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Aug 28, 2018
So there were red flags telling you not to do the project, he never responded to tell you what features he wanted, you built the website, and when he didn't look at it you blame it on the fact that he's Mexican?

Is that really what you got out of the rant? I'm blaming this situation on the fact that he's Mexican? Really? It was a ridiculous, hyperbolic joke to symbolize my frustration, but if that wasn't obvious, I'll clarify. IT. WAS. A. JOKE.

I appreciate the advice, but I genuinely have no negative feelings towards Mexicans, so I find it highly unlikely that it will affect me going forward. Although, the red flags were genuinely my fault, so I will be less excitable and more cautious about starting projects in the future.

D

Deleted52409

Is that really what you got out of the rant? I'm blaming this situation on the fact that he's Mexican? Really? It was a ridiculous, hyperbolic joke to symbolize my frustration, but if that wasn't obvious, I'll clarify. IT. WAS. A. JOKE.

I appreciate the advice, but I genuinely have no negative feelings towards Mexicans, so I find it highly unlikely that it will affect me going forward. Although, the red flags were genuinely my fault, so I will be less excitable and more cautious about starting projects in the future.

lmao non whites hate/blame whites for everything but whites are not even allowed to tell jokes about non whites

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
It was a ridiculous, hyperbolic joke to symbolize my frustration, but if that wasn't obvious, I'll clarify. IT. WAS. A. JOKE.

This is why emojis are more important than most people care to believe!
:clench:

artKarolina

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Nov 13, 2018
Lesson learned in feeling out clients. That's part of owning a business. You will have many more extremely frustrating moments like this, and all you can do is ask "what can I do better next time to not repeat this encounter?" and go from there.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.