The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Marco Cuevas

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Jun 12, 2017
I left active duty in 2007, but remained a Reservist until 2015. I will always cherish my time serving my country. The values have remained and I strive to continuously give back - which is the biggest reason I work in the non-profit industry at the moment!

I fell to consumerism when I was 18-22 getting all this money as a member of the armed forces and when I left in 2007, I was sitting on over $30K in consumer debt. The second best job I've ever had since leaving the military was selling Cutco knives but that's a different story.

The situation I was in left me not many options. I wanted to use my GI Bill and go to school full-time because I wouldn't be paying for it, but my consumer debt kept me chained... I ended up volunteering for a deployment to Afghanistan in 2009 and in the 10 months I was there, paid off all my consumer debt and had some money set aside for investing.

However, at that point, I still had not experienced the learning necessary to ensure I wouldn't end up in the trap again... I blew most (NOT ALL) of my money when I got back on all the equipment and training needed to skydive (important for later) and a 600cc sport bike (I still maintain this was a needed purchase! - lol)

Besides splurging, what was nice about paying off my debt was the ability it afforded me to attend college full-time and not need to work. Also, since I had the GI-Bill, I didn't pay for school. This was when I was introduced to various leadership and personal improvement books. I was able to cultivate my thinking in such a way to begin noticing opportunity. Back to my skydiving... the drop zone was located about a 20 minute drive from any food source, so if you didn't bring lunch, you were screwed and would miss out on the limited jump loads for the day because you'd be stuck driving to get food.

So I started a concession stand - with only $1,200 (what I had left from deployment) for initial inventory and tables/coolers/etc. I was only open at the drop zone Saturdays and Sundays from Memorial to Labor Day weekends - a total of 33 days. Since I was the one who worked all 12-16 hours, I banked everything I made. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to do many jumps. That was my sacrifice to NET $10,000 my first summer open.

That was the first taste of freedom I had since fighting for it and I was thrust into this unknown (to me) world of Entrepreneurship. My circumstances have changed now that I have a wife (good story for later) a step-son and a newborn (9 weeks) daughter. I have obligations to them but my desire is to ensure they never want for anything. I read TMFL last year and didn't do much about it. I would have loved to been able to go through a course to create a Saas business but got scared, didn't pull the trigger because I didn't believe in myself enough to start asking to borrow money.

So here I am, KNOWING there is more than this SCRIPTED life has to offer. I've got big ideas, and I look forward to finding the support I've been missing out on since I'm surrounded by so many who just don't get it and are content with mediocre...

I begin my Civilian Mission to help others.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Welcome to the forum. You'll find there's a pretty decent community of veterans here. Make sure to check out the Gold Threads. There's a wealth of information there.

Have you given any thoughts to what type of business you'd like to pursue? Better yet, have you found any needs or pain points you'd like to solve?

Look forward to seeing your contributions here on the forum.

Ps, which branch?

Marco Cuevas

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Jun 12, 2017
Welcome to the forum. You'll find there's a pretty decent community of veterans here. Make sure to check out the Gold Threads. There's a wealth of information there.

Have you given any thoughts to what type of business you'd like to pursue? Better yet, have you found any needs or pain points you'd like to solve?

Look forward to seeing your contributions here on the forum.

Ps, which branch?
I'm headed off to a meeting so I'll answer the easiest question first and the rest later - I was a squid working as an anti-terrorism/counter-intelligence analyst.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
I'm headed off to a meeting so I'll answer the easiest question first and the rest later - I was a squid working as an anti-terrorism/counter-intelligence analyst.

Then you'll probably get along with @jon.a, he's the resident squid around here.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Great intro and welcome Marco. And thank you for your service to the country.

Marco Cuevas

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Jun 12, 2017
It's been a few days and I said I would answer this question when I had some more time. I've always been fascinated with personal finance and my full-time job at the moment is working in the non-profit world. One of my focus areas is Financial Stability. The biggest pain I see is the lack of proper education about finances as an adult. It's the taboo topic society relies on parents to teach and lets face it, it's not turning out well. The second aspect of it is this... people who are almost getting serious about being an entrepreneur don't know where to begin with their finances and tend to become so overwhelmed with that challenge, they give up before they start.

So yes, I have found a pain that covers two core topics (People who are content with SCRIPTED STABILITY and those wishing for TRANSITION TO A FOUNDATION FOR UNSCRIPTED POTENTIAL) I'd love to say more but I'm waiting until I can be an INSIDERS (before the end of the month) before getting detailed.

What are your thoughts?

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
It's been a few days and I said I would answer this question when I had some more time. I've always been fascinated with personal finance and my full-time job at the moment is working in the non-profit world. One of my focus areas is Financial Stability. The biggest pain I see is the lack of proper education about finances as an adult. It's the taboo topic society relies on parents to teach and lets face it, it's not turning out well. The second aspect of it is this... people who are almost getting serious about being an entrepreneur don't know where to begin with their finances and tend to become so overwhelmed with that challenge, they give up before they start.

So yes, I have found a pain that covers two core topics (People who are content with SCRIPTED STABILITY and those wishing for TRANSITION TO A FOUNDATION FOR UNSCRIPTED POTENTIAL) I'd love to say more but I'm waiting until I can be an INSIDERS (before the end of the month) before getting detailed.

What are your thoughts?

Financial illiteracy is definitely a very big social problem. I'll be the first to admit, I'm not as financially literate as I should be.

There are definitely some needs to be solved here. Execution will be key though, how you go about solving this need.

Marco Cuevas

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Jun 12, 2017
Financial illiteracy is definitely a very big social problem. I'll be the first to admit, I'm not as financially literate as I should be.

There are definitely some needs to be solved here. Execution will be key though, how you go about solving this need.
Sent you a message.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...