• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

EXECUTION A Story of Rapid Execution

Discussion in 'Progress/Execution Threads' started by HackVenture, Oct 26, 2017.

1. daru

daru Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $937
    When I learned Python and Django I just did the tutorial in the Django Docs. Gets you pretty productive in a short time. Then I started modifying the Polls app and ended up with a Wiki and Blog engine (long time ago haha).
    What I love about Django is the freaking awesome documentation. I don't really think you need any courses besides Django docs and Stack Overflow to build really cool stuff with Python and Django.

Currently having a similar experience with just awesome free quality documentation. I'm using Rust and the free Rust Programming Language online book when building my current project.

2. HackVenture

HackVenture Digital Marketer, Crypto Guy Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $2,613
    Wow interesting to hear. Django still doesn't sound that easy to me but hopefully things change ;)

Day 86 of #100daysofcode #dailychallenge

Python and Django Development bootcamp today, went through function exercises

3. daru

daru Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $937
    Oh, didn't mean to imply (good) programming was ever easy. It's hard! Just meant that the documentation can be as good as any course if you just want to get sh*t done with that specific framework.

HackVenture likes this.
  4. HackVenture

HackVenture Digital Marketer, Crypto Guy Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $2,613
    Haha yea my objective is really just to get good enough to manage projects and to get hands on with simple projects.

I'm proficient with basic stuff like Wordpress but would really like to understand more about the code behind and would really like to understand the tech behind blockchain more as I'm pretty heavily invested.

May I know if you had prior coding knowledge before you learnt Django?

--
    Day 87 of #100daysofcode #dailychallenge

Python and Django Development bootcamp today, went through the solution for the functions exercise

5. lowtek

lowtek Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $22,806
    Time for a splash of cold water. I tried being a little subtle about it, but I was ineffective. That's my fault. You may think I'm being rude and I probably am.

The thread is called a story of rapid execution, and yet here you are spending 100 days writing code that you won't put into production. That's the very opposite of execution. You admit your addiction to "learning" (really, just short circuiting your brain's dopamine response with trivial accomplishments) yet don't seem to keen to kick it. Udemy courses? How is that going to put money in your pocket?

How about you take MJ's cues and start building better forum software? Django is fine for that, and you can hack together enough open source stuff to make something work in ... about 100 days or less.

For comparison, I knew very little of Django, and even less of javascript, yet this week I've managed to assemble the core logic of a prototype for a machine learning application. I had to learn how to use JS to handle some basic front end preprocessing, how to deploy a machine learning model to production, and how to handle the backend logic (i.e. calling the model) with Django. I did this by cobbling together open source code, tinkering with it to see how it worked, and reading documentation and relevant tutorials (many of which are out of date and lead me in the wrong direction) to fill gaps in my understanding.

It took me about 10 hours of focused effort (about 25 pomodoro). Granted I already had prior knowledge of machine learning, and a little exposure to Django... but even starting from scratch it wouldn't have taken me 100 days.

I'm not trying to brag here, as I still haven't actually accomplished anything (no sales!) but I want to illustrate the folly of these X days of Y challenges. Sure you may learn a lot about syntactic sugar, but unless your goal is to be an expert at syntax, they aren't going to help you with anything useful. You're far better off formulating a problem, breaking the problem down into steps, and learning just enough to deal with those steps.

There are still far bigger problems to solve after you finish the code. Code is easy to figure out. The psychology of the market? That's truly difficult, at least for those of us hardwired to create software.

6. daru

Rep Bank:
    $937
    Django Packages : Forums
    Most of them are probably open source (MIT, BSD or similar license). Grab one and improve it?

HackVenture and lowtek like this.
  7. HackVenture

Rep Bank:
    $2,613
    Thanks for the good intentions! My bad for not giving a proper preface and going straight into posting the challenge.

My "money-making thing" is not coding.

It's marketing, stuff I've talked about before on this thread etc.

Coding is something I've always wanted to learn but have been "too busy" and the objective of this challenge is to make myself proficient at coding by the end of the journey.

As you can see, I'm doing like one lesson a day and I'm of course not taking the entire day to learn stuff; if that was the case I can see how it might be a problem.

I never really thought of my obsession with learning an addiction that ought to be "kicked", it's in fact a big contributor to who I am today.

But I can definitely see how a "learning journey" isn't apt for a thread that's titled in such a way that it's supposed to be about execution lol so yeah I shall definitely work on that.

Hope this makes sense.

So speaking of execution, I do already know what project I'm going to build at the end of all this learning. Once I've got through the entire course, I'm going to go through this short 1.5 hours course: Build a Crypto Currency News Site With Python and Django (yeah I know, yet another course, but my knowledge of coding is currently so little I think I really need to go through these before I can actually code something)

After which, plan is to build out a project I assume is really simple (for someone who actually knows how to code lol) called "John Eats John(?)"

Long story short, John Mcafee made a prediction on BTC price (if he loses his bet he promises to eat his john on national TV) and what my project is going to do is a put up a picture of the guy standing up straight and as he gets closer and closer or further and further from winning his bet, his body will bend lower and lower, or higher and higher.

Hopefully my background knowledge from the first course helps, and with the second course I'm supposed to learn how to work with API's from places that provide crypto prices, hopefully the knowledge in addition to lots of googling will allow me to get the project done.

Domain (johaneatsjohn.com) has been bought, look forward to actually building something at the end of it all.

It's kind of a joke/fun website but hopefully it goes viral etc, would be really cool and a great first project I guess.

lowtek likes this.
  8. HackVenture

Rep Bank:
    $2,613
    Thanks for the link, looks interesting, can't wait to be able to understand the packages!

9. ManlyMansNegator

ManlyMansNegator Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $474
    How can you be a professional marketer? where is the product or do you just sell anything?