The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A product/Idea optimizing the environment

Idea threads

Kaan.Hisi

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jun 29, 2019
Germany
Hey Guys, I have the idea to sell steel straws to all restaurants in Germany. It would be a great alternative to their plastic straws, because it is damaging our environment. I am from Europe and in 2021 products like plastic cups and plastic straws will be illegal, because of the environmental protection. This product would boost the image of restaurants because they´d use environment friendly products and many people in Germany are paying attention to that. It would also make our world we live in to a better place.

What do y´all think about this idea?

Has the idea the potential that I can scale it to big numbers?

Would the profit be big enough (magnitude) to reach big numbers?

Would there be a big demand?

I have many ideas how to market this product, but I am not sure if it would be worth it (because I am not sure, whether I can scale it to big numbers or not).

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Dignium

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Oct 6, 2017
San Jose, CA Bigg Biz Cluster of Software Fastlane
Huge market, especially targeting sit down chain restaurants. You will have to get the restaurant suppliers to sell your straws, B2B, due to future consumer market commodification in B2C.

Being reletavely simple items to mass produce, expect commodification of generic Stainless steel straws.

Execute on this and become positioned to sell 100,000s of commercial grade SS straws so When people realize “the EU-wide plastic straw ban is going into effect in 5 months, who can deliver 100,000 stainless steel straws to all my restaurants before January 1st, 2021???”, you’ll be positioned to take their orders for commercial grade SS straws.

Boychamp

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jun 13, 2019
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
I think the idea could have potential legs but you really need to get out there and actually find out. Go talk to restaurant owners and find out if this is something they would be interested in.

My initial reaction would be that they're not going to want to stomach the cost of steel straws - especially since they're not the only alternative to plastic disposable straws. There's compostable materials, paper, re-useable plastic (IDK if this applies to the law change), etc.

But again, pure speculation (although I have family in the restaurant & bar biz and they simply use compostable ones or don't offer straws). Get out there and talk to the people who would purchase the product - that's the only real way to know instead of asking a bunch of people if it's a good idea or if there's a market.

Brewmacker

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 17, 2019
The Netherlands
Hey Guys, I have the idea to sell steel straws to all restaurants in Germany. It would be a great alternative to their plastic straws, because it is damaging our environment. I am from Europe and in 2021 products like plastic cups and plastic straws will be illegal, because of the environmental protection. This product would boost the image of restaurants because they´d use environment friendly products and many people in Germany are paying attention to that. It would also make our world we live in to a better place.

What do y´all think about this idea?

Has the idea the potential that I can scale it to big numbers?

Would the profit be big enough (magnitude) to reach big numbers?

Would there be a big demand?

I have many ideas how to market this product, but I am not sure if it would be worth it (because I am not sure, whether I can scale it to big numbers or not).

One challenge you may face is the cleaning and sanitation of SS straws for re-use. I have a home brewery and cleaning SS tubes so far has been a laborious task. They must be cleaned to prevent infection in the beer and that involves cleaning agents and pipe cleaners. Without thorough cleaning beer deposits tend to build up quickly.
(this is your Enschede friend btw).

[EDIT] Also FYI: Plastic Straws and cups will not be made illegal. It is only 'disposable plastic' that will be made illegal as it cant biodegrade. My advice would be to focus on the 'single use fully biodegradable' options. Bar staff usually have more important things to do (like selling drinks) than washing drinking straws.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Kaan.Hisi

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jun 29, 2019
Germany
One challenge you may face is the cleaning and sanitation of SS straws for re-use. I have a home brewery and cleaning SS tubes so far has been a laborious task. They must be cleaned to prevent infection in the beer and that involves cleaning agents and pipe cleaners. Without thorough cleaning beer deposits tend to build up quickly.
(this is your Enschede friend btw).

[EDIT] Also FYI: Plastic Straws and cups will not be made illegal. It is only 'disposable plastic' that will be made illegal as it cant biodegrade. My advice would be to focus on the 'single use fully biodegradable' options. Bar staff usually have more important things to do (like selling drinks) than washing drinking straws.

I never thought of the cleaning process that is required for steel straws. This is a big problem because it would be unnecessary work for them.

rblitz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Jul 11, 2013
Germany
I was in a German restaurant chain last year (Sausalitos) and their straws were made from noodles. The owner was really proud of that.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.