The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A patent is pending...

Determined2012

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 22, 2012
Chicago, IL
There is a patent pending for a new piece of exercise equipment. It is a product that will be geared to the 20s- 40s crowd specifically, but can be used for anyone, including teens and children. (More and more children are getting in the gym, and into real fitness programs due to being overweight and for other health reasons; diabetes and thyroid problems as examples)

This product has a name (The Abdominator), for the sake of naming it something, but it needs a better name.

What are some names that you guys can come up with?!

SN: I JUST realized that I have finally got enough miles to get into the SPEEDWAY!!! I was going to post there, but I just wanted to post so everyone can see...

The people that have been working on the logos sent over 2 ideas of what they thought the logo should be, with no assistance, direction or guidance.

I already know that neither of the logos they sent can be used, as they do not in any way shape or form meet my personal idea or standard of what it should be.

At this time, I would like to come to you guys and ask for your opinions, ideas and input.

What do you you envision when you think about a product that is for the abs?

Ab Pic 1.jpgAb Pic 2.jpg

These logos look very sloppy to me, and I would never use them. The "muscles" look like flab and fat...

I need some ideas, and I know a lot of you guys are in the gym/fitness/gym supplement area...

Please advise.

(The first image was sent first, then the black and white was the last one sent.)

Thanks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

tincho1492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Aug 7, 2011
Uruguay
They look like cheap stock images and don't have any reference to abs. I only see guys with big bics/trics muscles, not '6-packed' abs. I can help you with your logo if you want.

What it does?

Gsuz

If you want the crown, you gotta take it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Jul 3, 2012
One thing that came to my mind is some kind of robot, kind of like Wall-e with abs. Not too brutal in its appearance, but also not childish on the other hand. So it makes you smile when you see it. Another quick thought which I tried to visualize below, even though it turned out to be crappier than I thought:

The idea behind this was to take a schematized version of the 6-pack we all know and make that part of the logo w/o having to use a person or something similar. It is obv really basic, but maybe can give an impulse in one way or another.

Best of luck!

Determined2012

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 22, 2012
Chicago, IL
Likwid, is my answer contingent upon your response?!

Tincho, thank you- I will PM you more details...

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario

Why should that matter?

Tell us a bit more about this product. Is it yours? A friend's?

What does it do, exactly? What does it look like? How does it work?

Determined2012

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 22, 2012
Chicago, IL
The J. I prefer not to disclose if its mine or not... I hope that doesn't put you guys off?! If it does I am sorry.

But this is how it works: You have to step into the machine, and just adjust the hand grips to your personal specifications.
Next grab the hand grip with your hand (left or right) then use the opposite arm on the pad bar.
You will move in a crouching/crunching (Army term) motion side to side working the oblique area.
Do your reps, then repeat on the opposite side.

You can do the same thing with the feet. You can also adjust the weights, etc.

This equipment can also be used by advanced exercisers for other parts as well: biceps (bicep curls).

This is basically the description, and how it works... Based on this- any ideas for names?

Also, Thank Gsuz.... The logo should have a man and woman on it.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY

Actually it has nothing to do with my response. Just wanted to know if it was yours. I have a feeling it's not because I know you were looking into something else. I haven't had a chance to fully respond to you yet because I've been insanely busy and I apologize for that.

But this is how it works: You have to step into the machine, and just adjust the hand grips to your personal specifications.
Next grab the hand grip with your hand (left or right) then use the opposite arm on the pad bar.
You will move in a crouching/crunching (Army term) motion side to side working the oblique area.
Do your reps, then repeat on the opposite side.

You can do the same thing with the feet. You can also adjust the weights, etc.

This equipment can also be used by advanced exercisers for other parts as well: biceps (bicep curls).

I'm a health freak and have been working out since I'm 14. I've never been a fan of gimmicky workout equipment. Never bought any of it and never will. I actually shake my head every time I see one of these products on TV. I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just giving my 100% honest opinion.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I prefer not to disclose if its mine or not...

Not to be a dick here but this does actually matter... I'm confused why you think it wouldn't?

- Likwid24's paint brush thread would not be even remotely as popular if he was talking about a local news story he's been following.
- Vigilante's advice wouldn't hold as much stock as it does if he had a thread titled "My buddy tells me about how he imports security gear, follow his progress as he kind of tells me about it!".
- Biophase wouldn't be as revered if he stated "I answer the phones for a friend's e-commerce sites, ask me anything!"
- Mj's book wouldn't be popular if he wrote it about his brother's success.

I'd suggest you state your roll so we can understand the context. Do you answer the phones for this new company? Is it your brother's patent but you are still a co-founder of the business? Are you a marketing contractor for some stranger's company?

I don't get it.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
I'm a health freak and have been working out since I'm 14. I've never been a fan of gimmicky workout equipment. Never bought any of it and never will. I actually shake my head every time I see one of these products on TV. I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just giving my 100% honest opinion.

What? no shake weight? :)

Determined2012

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 22, 2012
Chicago, IL
@JAJT- I honestly did not think the information would matter, or be contingent upon my (personal) interest in the project. I thought that all you guys would need was the product and the information about the product in order to assess it and or critique it, offer helpful advice, etc.... As I have said previously- this is all a big learning curb for me- and I have just learned how important it is to know who has interest and involvement in projects, as the overall assessment has to be based on this criteria! So thank you for pointing that out to me!

Since this information will help to determine the feedback and insight given I will disclose that this is something that I have been working on with a friend of mine from the military.

LikWid, can you elaborate as to what part of the description felt gimmicky to you? I believe that that information is very valuable and helpful to know... Also- no offense taken... PS. Yes I am still patiently waiting on your response re: the something else I told you about a couple months ago. :) I know you are super busy taking over the Paint Brush industry! ;)

Thanks for all of the responses so far....

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
LikWid, can you elaborate as to what part of the description felt gimmicky to you? I believe that that information is very valuable and helpful to know... Also- no offense taken... PS. Yes I am still patiently waiting on your response re: the something else I told you about a couple months ago. I know you are super busy taking over the Paint Brush industry!

I can't tell if it's gimmicky until I see it or try it, but anything that I have ever tried, or seen, of products like this have been exactly that. I'm just not a big believer in these types of exercise equipment. My honest opinion is that it can make money, but I might feel guilty making money off a product like that because I know there are a hundreds of better ways to exercise without it. I feel like it's preying on the weak and unmotivated. There are many products out there that have become very successful doing that. It's just not me. That's just how I feel about these type of products.

Emo6126

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Jul 26, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I too invented a fitness product, Just starting and I am more focused on branding my product....

The thing that everyone sees is the logo, the thing that everyone says is the name................. I would change your name quick if you do not want it to sound gimmicky

Abdominator sounds like a bros nite out IMO

I am a believer in linguistics and that the sound of a name should be comfortable to say.

Can I ask is the name taken? do you own the website?

EN_VY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Sep 28, 2012
Houston
Those logos are a no go and the name is kind of cheesy IMO.

Sent from my iOS powered Android.

Determined2012

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 22, 2012
Chicago, IL
Yes I know that both the name and logos are crappy! I mentioned and acknowledged that in earlier posts in this thread... I posted to get suggestions about both as I knew that neither could or WOULD be used.

If anyone has any suggestions for either I would really like to hear them.

Likwid, can you give some examples of the effective ways the same can be done without the use of equipment like this? I think knowing that will be critically valuable---

Also Likwid- This is def not a project meant to be a gimmick or a rip off product for its users--- It is a genuine product that came into creation behind YEARS of working out within the military and using YEARS of personal time in the gym and having an "AHA" moment on something that can be improved upon. We (obviously) believe in the product and what it can do for its users--- thats why this venture is being seriously pursued...

Tincho, did you get my message? You mentioned up top that you could help with the logo.

Thanks guys.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
Also Likwid- This is def not a project meant to be a gimmick or a rip off product for its users--- It is a genuine product that came into creation behind YEARS of working out within the military and using YEARS of personal time in the gym and having an "AHA" moment on something that can be improved upon. We (obviously) believe in the product and what it can do for its users--- thats why this venture is being seriously pursued...

I believe this to be true, but I also believe that you get much better results without equipment like this. It may indeed do something for your body, but does it really do more than a regular abdominal routine?

Here's a list of over 100 FREE ab workouts. Ab Workouts: 100+ Free Ab Workout Routines | Muscle & Strength

I do my own that I have learned over the years and mix it up each week, or workout. I bet I can name at least 50 exercises, that do abs and core, off the top of my head.

I'm not trying to be a J.O. I'm just speaking the truth, and I'm sure that anyone who is really into fitness will tell you the same.

Emo6126

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Jul 26, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
a great logo place I used was stocklogos.com there you can buy and sell original logos. If you are searching for a custom one then you can place a wanted ad for one through the site and get some amazing freelancers!!

And for the bootstraper the prices are really reasonable.

To side with likwid.................I have been in the fitness industry as a trainer for almost a decade now. Most ab devices are gimicky and really dont do anything more than what a simple crunch or ab roller can do

Now to side with business and the business of fitness.............................Fitness is a multibillion dollar industry..............with tons of ab machines on the market............The average person is lazy and is willing to buy cheap quick fixes, not calling your product either of those, just stating how people perceive devices.........

If you market it correctly, you may actually have a shot!!! I say go with it, just get your logo and name right

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.