The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A new marketing tool I'm using with ridiculous ROI

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
I've tried door-to-door sales, door hangers, sending physical mail, email marketing, PPC ads, Facebook ads, cold calling, craigslist, etc...

All of it "kinda" works. It's either too expensive, too inefficient, too tedious, too something.

I have a lawn care company and I've been doing some real estate wholesaling (to stay busy in the winter). I've been using all sorts of advertising and it never worked as well as I wanted.

I recently came across a website that sends people a recorded voicemail that you make, except the person thinks it is an actual person who left a voicemail, not a robocall they have to listen to. It doesn't ring their phone, just leaves a voicemail and says "missed call" from whichever number you choose. It's called SlyBroadcast.

So I tried it. I paid for 100 voicemails for $10. I uploaded a couple lists. Some for real estate (people who had ugly homes). And some for people I wanted to sign up for lawn care (numbers in my zip code for women over 40 who have nice homes).

I recorded one message saying "I drove by your home and wanted to see if you'd be interested in selling it to me" and another saying "I signed up your neighbor for lawn care and offered them 20% off if someone on their street signed up too so they gave me your number, call me back and lets sign you up so I can take 20% off for both of you".

I got back tons of calls, made appointments and signed people up, and got leads for real estate deals.

It cost me $10.

Depending on where you get your numbers, you might have to pay for that part. But for me it was cheap.

That's a mind-numbing ROI...

It's scalable, efficient, and best of all, it is ACTIVE marketing. It's not sitting around waiting for responses, you can tell in a couple hours if it works or not.

Think about it. What do you do if you see a facebook ad? "meh". A google ad? "meh". A robocall? You hate them. Telemarketers? Burn em alive. Physical mailers? Straight to the garbage. Someone leaving a voicemail that sounds personal? You're actually going to listen to that. They listen on their own time and nearly every single person will give a voicemail their undivided attention if it sounds like a human with a real message.

And it costs $0.10 down to $0.06 each if you buy in bulk. It doesn't charge for undelivered messages either.

I can think of a ton of ways to use this to kick a$$ in sales.

Car sales? Get a list of people recently discharged from bankruptcy and send them a voicemail saying you can help them get a car loan. Or send voicemails to all previous customers.

Digital marketing agency? Search for local services and upload every phone number that doesn't have a website link on their google business result, same with craigslist services. Send them a voicemail that you can build them a website.

I remember cold calling people when I worked as a car salesman, I would rather just take that list, upload the numbers to a system, spend a few bucks and get way more results without bothering people and annoying them.

I found this because I'm lazy. I hate knocking on doors. I hate bothering people with a phone call. I hate having to compete with facebook ads that don't convert. I hate sending expensive mailers that are going to get tossed in the trash. Every time I do something that will never scale, I get angry. When I find something that will scale, I get excited.

I'm not a salesperson for SlyBroadcast, I've posted on here for my lawn care company before.

Check it out. To be safe you might want to run numbers through the do-not-call list.

I'm very happy I found this. I'm going to use it as my primary marketing tool if it continues to perform this well.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I wonder how long before marketers ruin it...

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Very interesting tool. But what are the legal aspects of this? Also, it seems to be for B2B? Let's say I'm selling dog hair brushes for example, to consumers.

Would I broadcast the messages to them asking them to checkout my site? Feels weird though. But I can see how this works for B2B.

I use it for B2C in the examples above for my lawn care company and for real estate.

Dog hair brushes or similar products would be very difficult to use this. But I would try to be unique.

“Uh, hi there. My name is John. I started a hair brush company for dogs. Well, it’s for people to buy to USE on their dogs. I guess there’s a debate on whether or not it’s a company for dogs or not. I can’t really tell anyone what they can or can’t use the brushes on. I guess anything, really..Anyways..uh..I’m pretty desperate. I’ve got like, a lot of these things so I picked up a phone book and started dialing. I mean, if anyone’s going to pick up a phone book and start selling a dog hair brush over the phone, the must be pretty motivated. Or it must be one expensive brush. It’s not, it’s only like 7.99. I’ve just got nothing better to do with my time. Uhhh...alright thank you for your time call me at 123-420-6969, bye. Yes I’m serious”

You’ll make so many people laugh they’ll buy it for fun.

Or not maybe it’s just a bad joke but roll the dice it’s better to be bold.

QuikCoin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
375%
Feb 14, 2015
Golden baby.

Just executed this 10mins ago... I already got two calls back and scheduled 2 estimates... Thats from sending out only 100 voicemails....

The cost of doing this is so cheap I can't imagine what I can achieve with a little scale being put to work.

G

GuestUser4aMPs1

This is really smart...

Instead of dialing and dialing and dialing leads until you land on an answer, you send ONE message to potentially HUNDREDS or THOUSANDS of leads, and allow the qualified leads to respond to your offer with a callback.

Brilliant actually.

@458 think you can see this as part of your arsenal?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thread moved to GOLD, some actionable stuff!!

Question is, how long does it remain actionable before it becomes a saturated technique, only to become a guru strategy of past marketing tactics that no longer work?

Thanks @Johnny boy - Rep+!!!

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
@Johnny boy would you mind if I ask, how did you reply to the folks that called in and were like "Who gave you my number?" (assuming that might've happened a few times, no?).

Trying to get ideas to smooth through those initial awkward stages when first breaking the ice with folks.

Any helpful feedback is much appreciated.

*555-5555 calls me and I write down the number*

"Hello this is johnny boy lawn care"

"Hi, you said a neighbor gave you my number. Who was it?"

"Ah, yes let me check my notes...looks like Rachel gave me your number.. 555-5455 right?" (repeat back the wrong number by one digit)

"No this is 555-5555, who tf is Rachel?"

"Oh I'm so sorry! I dialed the wrong number! You don't happen to live in (city) do you?"

"I do"

"Oh, sweet! Let me enter you in to win free lawn care in our raffle. It's the least I can do for taking up your time. Do you currently use a lawn care company or plan to this year?"

"I'm considering it"

"Awesome, well let's get you a free quote and then we'll enter you in to win free lawn care. I just need some info real quick. Address and email?"

"billbuttlicker@gmail.com and 420 69th ave sw, Beverly hills 90210"

"awesome and does today or tomorrow afternoon work for your free appointment to get that quote? I can be there during the afternoon. It will only take a few minutes"

"uh, 4:30 should work"

"great see you then"

*meet with him and try to sign him up on a contract*

"Funny how all this happened from me dialing the wrong number. Life is funny that way".

Kyle T

Marketing Entrepreneur
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Aug 22, 2018
Utah
Golden baby.

Just executed this 10mins ago... I already got two calls back and scheduled 2 estimates... Thats from sending out only 100 voicemails....

The cost of doing this is so cheap I can't imagine what I can achieve with a little scale being put to work.

I sent about 50 voicemails and got 3 calls back (so far)

3 new prospects are reaching out to me and it cost like $5!

NovaAria

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jul 18, 2018
Because to get those listeners to open their browser URL or pick up their mobile phone to buy the product after listening to the voice message, really takes some next level push lol.

I think this is the main argument for this method. If your pitch is good enough, only those interested will pick up their phones. At that point, you pretty much have a guaranteed sale.
You didn't waste your time cold calling hundreds of people and pitching your product only to discover that they have no interest.
One pitch, several hundred numbers, and only hot, boiling leads will call you back.

It's interesting, but as Andy said, better use it while its hot before people get their voicemails flooded and it becomes another Junk folder they never look at.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
For those that are wanting to use this. If you choose another company, just make sure it does not ring the phone (that is illegal if it is a cell phone). Give your own phone number.... if you get a message with no ring, you are good to go. It is legal for the message to be dropped in the mail box of a cell phone with no ring at all but NOT legal for it to ring the cell phone even 1/2 a ring. The company he mentioned above, I believe, does it the legal way.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
I wonder how long before marketers ruin it...

I had a local real estate agent run this one me once. She kept dropping voicemails on me and I had no clue how she was doing it.

Same BS line "I have you on a list for people I needed to follow up on.. blah blah blah.. give me a call" I wasn't selling or buying either. After the third time, I called back tore her a new one since I had texted the line several times to take me off the list.

If you keep spamming it, it gets annoying really quick.

QuikCoin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
375%
Feb 14, 2015
So these things personally annoy the f*ck out of me, I don't even listen to the vm's just instant delete.... but that being said, I've learned that I'm not a good litmus test for what actually works in the real world.

Where does one go about getting lists of numbers to spa- I mean, call & leave a message for?

Try out Telephonelists, you can buy an entire zip code for 80 bucks.

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,183%
Jun 8, 2010
California
Damn, where's @IceCreamKid -- this stuff is right up his alley!

I've been using Slydial to leave voicemails for clients 1 week after their appointment just to say the usual, "Thanks for your business. If there's anything you need I'm here for you".

I've never heard of SlyBroadcast and am not sure if they're affiliated with Slydial, but I'll give the OP's strategy a go next week. I feel a bit nervous because this feels like borderline spamming people, but I suspect people don't mind voicemails nearly as much as robocalls.

Off topic, but for you offline guys looking for new channels for marketing...give Google Local Services a shot. It didn't work out for my niche, but I've heard it working way better in other niches resulting in a lot of $$$ saved vs their former Google AdWords campaigns.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Thank you so much man!

I’m definately trying this out soon. Seems like the perfect sweet spot between cold calling and email.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Also, it seems to be for B2B? Let's say I'm selling dog hair brushes for example, to consumers.

Would I broadcast the messages to them asking them to checkout my site? Feels weird though. But I can see how this works for B2B.

Not every marketing/sales tactic should be used for every single business.

You're better off selling your brushes via online traffic if it's an e-commerce business. However, if it's wholesale, then it could be effective by calling every single pet shop in the country.

Think about the idiot lawyers that have pinterest accounts and get zero leads. Is pinterest an effective marketing tool? If you're selling to women and the product can be easily purchased then yes. If you're offering a professional service, then no. Can you make it work? Yeah, you can make anything work. But is it an effective strategy? Definitely not.

focusedlife

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 16, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
This thread is insanely good.

I knew of Ringless Voice Drops for a minute and I knew of one guru type dude that was doing this some way, somehow related to the car industry (Syd Michaels I believe is his name).

Anyways, I definitely see opportunity and lots of ruinous potential from other damn marketers.

With that being said, I think the stuff Jon Buchan has (Charming Offensive Guy) some funny sales scripts for sale that folks could really benefit from.

Basically what he does (if you haven't heard of him) is uses his style of what he calls charmingly offensive humor in his cold outreach and has a ton of folks claiming results using his style.

All the stuff is fairly formulated (he studies & uses comedy formulas)

Here's a mini checklist of what I think is everything one would need based on what I've read and piecemealed together to make hay while the sun is out:

Dang, you could pretty much offer this as a service, huh?

You could be a full on omni-present lead gen service provider.

*I'll script the message and outreach folks using ringless voice drop, linkedin, and email

I wonder what folks might pay for a bundled service like that?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I get my voicemails transcribed automatically; they show up as texts on my phone after tapping the notification.
Blimey. I never even thought of this. How cool. I never listen to my voicemails. My voicemail greeting says to send me an email.

Kyle T

Marketing Entrepreneur
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Aug 22, 2018
Utah
Thank you again for this... Closed my first deal using this method.

On Wednesday. Used a VA to scrape 400 phone numbers: $12

On Thursday. I use SlyBroadcastst to drop voicemail, only 200 were successful. Cost: $16

On Friday, I closed a deal in which the client is paying $600 /month.

Kyle T

Marketing Entrepreneur
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Aug 22, 2018
Utah
This seems like an incredible tool. Marketers will ruin it within 3-months :rofl:

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
So these things personally annoy the F*ck out of me, I don't even listen to the vm's just instant delete.... but that being said, I've learned that I'm not a good litmus test for what actually works in the real world.

Where does one go about getting lists of numbers to spa- I mean, call & leave a message for?

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
This tech has been around for a long time. I remember looking at it way back in my mortgage brokerage days (20+ years ago). Waaaay more expensive back then. Might be good to use when reaching out to potential retailers.

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
Alrighty, gonna try this out.

Looks like I can get the zip code I want from telephonelists & they claim they've scrubbed it against the DNC list & it's a combo of landlines & cell phones.

Slybroadcast claims this works on both types of phone lines. And I can stagger the VM message drop so I'm not blasting 800 people all at once. I'll be staggering them on a coming weekend day when I have no clients scheduled & can field any potential phone calls.

I'll also be creating the VM message from inside my car, as I'm basically asking people if the big a$$ garage house I'm driving by is theirs, haha.

Total investment:

$79 for the zip code with 853 numbers
$60 for 1000 VM's of my pre-recorded message sent out
Total investment, $139 bucks & an hour or two of my time.

Researched AZ law & there seems to be nothing on the books showing this as illegal here.

I'll report back with results.

NateKruse

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
294%
Jan 13, 2018
Jacksonville, North Carolina
I was on the receiving end of this on Friday. I got a notification saying I had a voicemail and it was a human voice talking about how stressful it is to sign up for health insurance. I listened to it and if I was in the market for health insurance I probably would have called the number.

This could be very effective until people stop using voicemail. Maybe there is an opportunity now for someone to make an app that blocks the voicemail ads.

G

GuestUser4aMPs1

I never check my voice mails. My voice mail message says: Text me please. Thank you". If they choose to leave a voice message, it gets deleted at the end of the day without ever being heard. Ain't got no time for dat!
Once you stop listening to your voicemails

Don't think this will be an issue. I get my voicemails transcribed automatically; they show up as texts on my phone after tapping the notification.

Think this is fairly common.

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
It's actually been around for awhile. I think everyone thinks the other person is going to ruin it so maybe that's why it's been on the down-low. :blank:

It has been around for at least 3 years, as far as I recall. Marketers are mostly introverts, so it won't saturate.

Same reason cold calling is still effective.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
I was looking at this a few months ago for use in real estate, but in Florida it's illegal as of last year :bored:

I see that there are even attorneys focused on going after people using this tactic now, so be careful.
Ringless Voicemail Notifications? Receive $500 to $1500 Per Voicemail

Bummer, I liked this delivery mechanism.

You can filter numbers through the DNC, and it's still going to be a while until it's a problem in all states. AND, I have no problem finding loopholes such as using foreign companies when it does become illegal for any reason. I haven't ran into anyone getting mad about the messages because they sound personal, are highly focused, and are an offer to help the person.

edit: I think I might have my buddy report my number to see how they track me down so I can avoid leaving traces or how I can avoid anything sticking in court.

Tiago

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 22, 2014
I stopped using this method because my results were limited but I think it was mostly a problem with my script.

Does anyone have any ideas for a voicemail script for pitching a website or marketing services? Would love to get some ideas from the minds on here.

I think you shouldn't pitch in the voicemail. Just pique their curiosity and have them call you.

"Hey X, Kyle here. I was just looking at your website. Could you give me a call back please? Phone #".

I learned this from Paul Neuberger's Cold Call Coach course, it's pretty good.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Very interesting tool. But what are the legal aspects of this? Also, it seems to be for B2B? Let's say I'm selling dog hair brushes for example, to consumers.

You mean B2C, if you are selling to consumers?

I could see this playing out on WHATSAPP, as it has a free voice messaging. I think it can stand out from the chug-and-plus texts I always seem to get.

Ankerstein17

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Mar 22, 2015
Edmonton, Alberta
I've tried door-to-door sales, door hangers, sending physical mail, email marketing, PPC ads, Facebook ads, cold calling, craigslist, etc...

All of it "kinda" works. It's either too expensive, too inefficient, too tedious, too something.

I have a lawn care company and I've been doing some real estate wholesaling (to stay busy in the winter). I've been using all sorts of advertising and it never worked as well as I wanted.

I recently came across a website that sends people a recorded voicemail that you make, except the person thinks it is an actual person who left a voicemail, not a robocall they have to listen to. It doesn't ring their phone, just leaves a voicemail and says "missed call" from whichever number you choose. It's called SlyBroadcast.

So I tried it. I paid for 100 voicemails for $10. I uploaded a couple lists. Some for real estate (people who had ugly homes). And some for people I wanted to sign up for lawn care (numbers in my zip code for women over 40 who have nice homes).

I recorded one message saying "I drove by your home and wanted to see if you'd be interested in selling it to me" and another saying "I signed up your neighbor for lawn care and offered them 20% off if someone on their street signed up too so they gave me your number, call me back and lets sign you up so I can take 20% off for both of you".

I got back tons of calls, made appointments and signed people up, and got leads for real estate deals.

It cost me $10.

Depending on where you get your numbers, you might have to pay for that part. But for me it was cheap.

That's a mind-numbing ROI...

It's scalable, efficient, and best of all, it is ACTIVE marketing. It's not sitting around waiting for responses, you can tell in a couple hours if it works or not.

Think about it. What do you do if you see a facebook ad? "meh". A google ad? "meh". A robocall? You hate them. Telemarketers? Burn em alive. Physical mailers? Straight to the garbage. Someone leaving a voicemail that sounds personal? You're actually going to listen to that. They listen on their own time and nearly every single person will give a voicemail their undivided attention if it sounds like a human with a real message.

And it costs $0.10 down to $0.06 each if you buy in bulk. It doesn't charge for undelivered messages either.

I can think of a ton of ways to use this to kick a$$ in sales.

Car sales? Get a list of people recently discharged from bankruptcy and send them a voicemail saying you can help them get a car loan. Or send voicemails to all previous customers.

Digital marketing agency? Search for local services and upload every phone number that doesn't have a website link on their google business result, same with craigslist services. Send them a voicemail that you can build them a website.

I remember cold calling people when I worked as a car salesman, I would rather just take that list, upload the numbers to a system, spend a few bucks and get way more results without bothering people and annoying them.

I found this because I'm lazy. I hate knocking on doors. I hate bothering people with a phone call. I hate having to compete with facebook ads that don't convert. I hate sending expensive mailers that are going to get tossed in the trash. Every time I do something that will never scale, I get angry. When I find something that will scale, I get excited.

I'm not a salesperson for SlyBroadcast, I've posted on here for my lawn care company before.

Check it out. To be safe you might want to run numbers through the do-not-call list.

I'm very happy I found this. I'm going to use it as my primary marketing tool if it continues to perform this well.

This is brilliant! Thank you for sharing your story!

@Andy Black is right - how long till marketers ruin it. This is a tool for the future of marketing and is on the upcoming. Email marketing is becoming less and less effecient, more Facebook bots, more text based marketing, and now voicemail. Things are changing fast ---- it's going to be an interesting time ahead!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.