The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A Morning Routine.. Best Method Of The Highly Successful

akbrouwer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, USA
Many of you probably already have a morning routine..

It become more popular when Hal Elrod published The Miracle Morning.

That's when I caught wind of it, and started to implement.

I can say first hand that it is one of the factors to my success. It sets my day up on the right foot, and gets the momentum to CRUSH the highest leverage task.

Now if you don't have a morning routine, you can check out the examples to create your own in this post here: It give examples that you can copy from 20 successful entrepreneurs in different fields of work.
https://medium.com/life-learning/ho...ne-will-make-you-more-successful-1b7372655938

If you DO have a morning routine. What is it? and how long you've been doing it.. also, have you seen any benefits/success since starting?

If you just created one using the post above.. what is it?

Mine:
Wake up 5-5.5am
Meditate 20 minutes
Run/Yoga/Gym ~50 minutes
Breakfast (3 eggs & 2 bacon strips)
Shower While Saying Affirmations
Read 3 books- 15 minutes each
End of Routine and jump into highest leverage activity that was set up the night before.

I found if I cover these basic needs... it helps the most... Physical, Mental, Emotional, Spiritual

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RMarques

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 20, 2013
Toronto
I'm up at 4:30, "meditate" / stretch for a few minutes
I read or watch something motivational for half hour.
I work on my online business 'till 6:30.
I'm out the door to work my "real world" business until at least 8PM.
My evening is spent with my family. They get all my attention.
When everyone is sleeping I am reading a book and setting myself up for the next day.
I don't waste time on anything that doesn't bring value to my life goals.

akbrouwer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, USA
I'm up at 4:30, "meditate" / stretch for a few minutes
I read or watch something motivational for half hour.
I work on my online business 'till 6:30.
I'm out the door to work my "real world" business until at least 8PM.
My evening is spent with my family. They get all my attention.
When everyone is sleeping I am reading a book and setting myself up for the next day.
I don't waste time on anything that doesn't bring value to my life goals.
This is awesome!

Love the focus and dedication.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
518%
May 29, 2013

Question, how do you read 3 books in 15 minutes each?

OR, are you reading 3 different books partially for 15 minutes each ( what I think you are doing ).

Do you retain the info well when you finally finish them?

akbrouwer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, USA
Question, how do you read 3 books in 15 minutes each?

OR, are you reading 3 different books partially for 15 minutes each ( what I think you are doing ).

Do you retain the info well when you finally finish them?

reading 3 different books partially for 15 minutes each < THIS

Yes I do retain the information. The topics and information actually gets cross blended and it compounds and expands. It's a workout for your mind.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
518%
May 29, 2013
Thanks.

With you waking up at 5-5:30 am, what time do you get to bed. how many hours are you sleeping?

My biggest challenge is waking up before 9am atm. Im going to bed at around midnight, but I get woke up many times in the night ( at least 3-4 times )

akbrouwer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, USA
Thanks.

With you waking up at 5-5:30 am, what time do you get to bed. how many hours are you sleeping?

My biggest challenge is waking up before 9am atm. Im going to bed at around midnight, but I get woke up many times in the night ( at least 3-4 times )
I normally go to bed around 10pm... recently it's been around midnight.. only because we have a huge launch coming tomorrow.. ;)

7ish hours of sleep and I use SleepCycle app to wake up while I'm not in a deep REM sleep.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Thanks.

I second this question. Especially with @RMarques comment. He wakes up at 4:30, works until 8PM (I also come back from my "slowlane" job around that time) and then spends time with his family. I compare that to me getting home, having dinner and relaxing for like an hour on the couch with my husband. I assume you go to bed at 11, 12? I would be going insane with so little sleep. Then again I think something keeps me tossing and turning while I sleep all night and I don't rest very well but that IS little hours. Isn't it?

mws87

talk less, listen more.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
May 5, 2015
California
Thanks.

I know how this can be. I don't think I've ever been a morning person. The only "magic bullet" I've found is good exercise. There was a point in which my sleep cycle was completely off, I was living like a night owl. Started pushing myself harder and harder with exercise, couldn't stay up past 10pm after that, nor could I wake up any later than 6am. That's since changed, but now I miss it so much I'm going to have to go back to that routine.

edit -- what's waking you up throughout the night?

Duane

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jul 23, 2015
Lakeland FL
Wake up 9 am.
Freezing, Cold Shower.
Meditate 10-30 mins.
Gym 1-2 hours.

I read at night before bed, it winds me down and I feel that I retain the most before I go to sleep.

RMarques

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 20, 2013
Toronto
I second this question. Especially with @RMarques comment. He wakes up at 4:30, works until 8PM (I also come back from my "slowlane" job around that time) and then spends time with his family. I compare that to me getting home, having dinner and relaxing for like an hour on the couch with my husband. I assume you go to bed at 11, 12? I would be going insane with so little sleep. Then again I think something keeps me tossing and turning while I sleep all night and I don't rest very well but that IS little hours. Isn't it?
I used to sleep 3 hours per night.
I try to get to bed around 10. I read a book in bed.
The way I have structured my life now.. 6 hours of sleep is plenty.
I ALWAYS wake up before my alarm.
Even on Sunday.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
518%
May 29, 2013
I know how this can be. I don't think I've ever been a morning person. The only "magic bullet" I've found is good exercise. There was a point in which my sleep cycle was completely off, I was living like a night owl. Started pushing myself harder and harder with exercise, couldn't stay up past 10pm after that, nor could I wake up any later than 6am. That's since changed, but now I miss it so much I'm going to have to go back to that routine.

edit -- what's waking you up throughout the night?

Always seems to be something different.... random list of things recently:

1. Thunderstorm ( loud thunder )
2. My dog for X reasons ( wants to go out to use restroom, barking if someone else gets up in the house at night, etc )
3. If I get too hot or cold ( blanket on or off me in the middle of the night )
4. Someone else has gotten up and made noise ( like my wife or kids )
5. Animal outside knocked over trash can and woke me up ( thought it was burglar )
6. I got myself into an uncomfortable position in the bed while sleeping that caused my neck to get stiff or arm to fall asleep
7. Phone rang ( someone called for the kids or the wife at midnight )

Those are the most common. It's always something every single night. I might get 1 or 2 nights a week that nothing happens and I actually sleep the full time, but those odds are rare it seems.

I would wear an eye mask and ear plugs, but what if something really did happen and I needed to get up like a burglar and I didn't hear it?

edit -- it does seem that noise is the biggest part of it when looking over my list. I need to find a balance to reduce noise ( like ear plugs ) and not worry about potential issues like a burglar. Im sure if I had one my dog would make more than enough noise to overcome the ear plugs.... So ear plugs might be in my future.

Last edited:

Jurffy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jun 20, 2015
Canada
Always seems to be something different.... random list of things recently:

1. Thunderstorm ( loud thunder )
Ear plugs
2. My dog for X reasons ( wants to go out to use restroom, barking if someone else gets up in the house at night, etc )
3. If I get too hot or cold ( blanket on or off me in the middle of the night )
Consider using layers of blankets so that it's easier to adjust. Cracking the window open a tad also helps for breathing.
4. Someone else has gotten up and made noise ( like my wife or kids )
Ear plugs
5. Animal outside knocked over trash can and woke me up ( thought it was burglar )
Ear plugs
6. I got myself into an uncomfortable position in the bed while sleeping that caused my neck to get stiff or arm to fall asleep
7. Phone rang ( someone called for the kids or the wife at midnight )
Set your phone to Flight mode an hour before bedtime

Those are the most common. It's always something every single night. I might get 1 or 2 nights a week that nothing happens and I actually sleep the full time, but those odds are rare it seems.

I would wear an eye mask and ear plugs, but what if something really did happen and I needed to get up like a burglar and I didn't hear it?
I think it comes down to your mindset, there will be a risk with anything - sometimes you just need to trust in your security. Or, you can re-watch Home Alone for ideas on additional security. :)

edit -- it does seem that noise is the biggest part of it when looking over my list. I need to find a balance to reduce noise ( like ear plugs ) and not worry about potential issues like a burglar. Im sure if I had one my dog would make more than enough noise to overcome the ear plugs.... So ear plugs might be in my future.

Finding a way to get to bed earlier will help.

Make your room as dark as possible.

Cut yourself off from electronics an hour prior to sleeping.

Spend time relaxing during this time.

Also, I find that the noise-factor can be remedied without the use of ear plugs, if you can sleep sounder. That just comes from calming your mind before you sleep. If there's racket going on in your head, jumping from thought to thought, you're bound to have a harder time falling asleep. The goal is to reach deep-sleep so that you can actually SLEEP, recover and retain new memories while deleting useless ones. A meditation practice will help you with de-cluttering your mind and allowing yourself to just "let go".

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
518%
May 29, 2013
Although not much to tell about.. I made an effort to get into bed at 10:30 and try to fall asleep before 11pm.

I actually only woke up once in the night, around 4:30am.

Got up around 5:50am and had my coffee and shower, checked emails and started doing some research.

Right now my focus is just getting up at or before 6am. If I can get that under control, I am going to do my morning routine as:

• Drink water ( 1.5 liters )
  • Walk/Run for 25 minutes
  • Shower
  • Work on MIT/Frog

7.62x51

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jan 27, 2015
Mine is pretty simple.

go to bed at 8-10 pm

4:15 am - wake up
4:15-4:45 - actually wake up, do something mentally stimulating (ie read or work on a project), if I've slept well then I'll also be mentally sharper than usual at this time
5:00 - 6:00 - gym
7:00 - 8:00 - stretch, breakfast, chill for a bit
8:00 - shower and start getting ready for the slowlane

AchievingDreams

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jul 30, 2015

I can say first hand that it is one of the factors to my success. It sets my day up on the right foot, and gets the momentum to CRUSH the highest leverage task.

Now if you don't have a morning routine, you can check out the examples to create your own in this post here: It give examples that you can copy from 20 successful entrepreneurs in different fields of work.
https://medium.com/life-learning/ho...ne-will-make-you-more-successful-1b7372655938

If you DO have a morning routine. What is it? and how long you've been doing it.. also, have you seen any benefits/success since starting?

Mine:
Wake up 5-5.5am
Meditate 20 minutes
Run/Yoga/Gym ~50 minutes
End of Routine and jump into highest leverage activity that was set up the night before.

I found if I cover these basic needs... it helps the most... Physical, Mental, Emotional, Spiritual

Thanks for your thread.

What is the best method for meditation ? what would you recommend ? I am looking for a great methodology but without the new age and religious mumbo jumbo... many thanks for your help

akbrouwer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, USA
Thanks for your thread.

What is the best method for meditation ? what would you recommend ? I am looking for a great methodology but without the new age and religious mumbo jumbo... many thanks for your help
I highly recommend Headspace App.
very easy to get into and non-religious/spiritual methods.

MUSE Headband I also hear is awesome.. but I've never used it.

RunWithIt

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Jan 23, 2016
Canada

Mine:
Wake up 5-5.5am
Meditate 20 minutes
Run/Yoga/Gym ~50 minutes

Do you feel that you get value from reading 3 books for 15 minutes each ?

I personally find it more rewarding when I sit down to read for an hour +

Karen

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
378%
Feb 28, 2015
Germany
Great timing for some routine inspiration! Rising so early is impressive :wideyed: I would need the Pavlok Wristband that gives you an electric shock for that :confused:

Here goes mine..
- get up at 6 am (latest 7 am)
- minimum of 10min workout (body weight muscle split training)
- minimum of 10min meditation (headspace)
- shower, get ready
- Supplements
- Bulletproof Coffee (I swear on it)
- Journal, plan the day

.. then it's time to build the business

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Wake up 5am (5:30am weekends)

Read 1/7th of book (so one a week) and brief notes

Skipping Rope while listening to motivational self talk or music

Affirmations:
- What do I want?
- Why do I want this?
- What am I committed to doing daily to make it happen?

Visualize and Meditate
-25% End Goal
-75% The action I will take this day and this week

Silence and Shower
-Freezing Cold (I disconnected the hot water so I have no choice)

Writing
-Goals for life and next 100 days
-5 things I am grateful for
-One paragraph review from my Steve Siebold book (takes one minute to read a new lesson everyday)

All that takes an hour so I am ready to work by 6/6:30

I then work till 9 and have breakfast at the bakery downstairs for 45 minutes. Work again till 1 and then hit the gym. Have been doing this consistently for four weeks now and killing it.

Jaymes

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 22, 2015
I noticed a couple people say cold shower, why in particular cold? Does the shock help you focus?

Duane

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jul 23, 2015
Lakeland FL
I noticed a couple people say cold shower, why in particular cold? Does the shock help you focus?

1. Speeds up muscle soreness and recovery
  2. Eases Stress
  3. Improves immunity
  4. Refines hair and skin
  5. Releases acids
  6. better breathing
  7. increases testosterone
  8. big goals require discomfort to achieve
  9. Improved bloodcirculation
Not to mention how bad hot showers are for your hair and skin. Worse case if I'm in a rush I take a mildly cold shower, but never hot.

Last edited:

Marlen

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 14, 2016
Wake up 5am (5:30am weekends)

Read 1/7th of book (so one a week) and brief notes

Skipping Rope while listening to motivational self talk or music

Affirmations:
- What do I want?
- Why do I want this?
- What am I committed to doing daily to make it happen?

Visualize and Meditate
-25% End Goal
-75% The action I will take this day and this week

Silence and Shower
-Freezing Cold (I disconnected the hot water so I have no choice)

Writing
-Goals for life and next 100 days
-5 things I am grateful for
-One paragraph review from my Steve Siebold book (takes one minute to read a new lesson everyday)

All that takes an hour so I am ready to work by 6/6:30

I then work till 9 and have breakfast at the bakery downstairs for 45 minutes. Work again till 1 and then hit the gym. Have been doing this consistently for four weeks now and killing it.
Do you really do everything in your list in one hour? I usually get up at 5 and today I tried to do what you do and there was no way I could finish :( If you do I salute you for that.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Do you really do everything in your list in one hour? I usually get up at 5 and today I tried to do what you do and there was no way I could finish :( If you do I salute you for that.

Yup 1hr - 1:10hr

Drink water while reading book 20mins
Skipping rope 5 mins
Affirmations 5 mins
Visualize 5mins
Shower and get dressed 10mins
Writing 15mins

If I don't get through a 1/7 of the book (which is most days unless the book is small) I read the rest at night before bed. But I do read 1/7 everyday.

If you are on Instagram follow me on @buildthemind. I do a business book club and I am reading The Richest Man in Babylon at the moment.

Duane

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jul 23, 2015
Lakeland FL
I didn't believe the reading part at first, so I decided to google how fast people can read..

Some people can read 1,000 words per minute. So you know, it is manageable if you're a gifted reader.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Ha I won't say I am a gifted reader but I do read quite fast.
I should have been more clear:
- I read as much as I can in the 20 mins and then finish the rest off before bed, 1/7 on average of the book a day.

If I have a long taxi ride, downtime, a low work load etc. I might get through a 100+ pages in one day.
I just checked my book from last night and I read 54 pages before bed. That took about an hour. I usually highlight the good points and then go back over them later and write some out.

MichBondesio

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Oct 5, 2015
Thanks for sharing. I call this routine my "morning calmness ritual". If I don't get the first hour of writing, meditation and yoga in, it affects my level of patience and ability to calmly respond to potentially stressy situations in quite a radical way.

Water, directive affirmations and morning pages while I wake up - 30mins
Meditation and Yoga - 30-45mins
Shower & prep for day
Inspirational reading during LCHF breakfast 30 mins
Work starts in sprints
Walk later in the day

That idea of reading three different books at any given time is something that has been recommended to me before, but wasn't sure I'd have the attention span haha. However, given your explanation @akbrouwer I think I'll give it a go. :)

Jaymes

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 22, 2015
  1. Speeds up muscle soreness and recovery
  2. Eases Stress
  3. Improves immunity and circulation
  4. Refines hair and skin
  5. Releases acids
  6. better breathing
  7. increases testosterone
  8. big goals require discomfort to achieve
  9. Improved bloodcirculation
Not to mention how bad hot showers are for your hair and skin. Worse case if I'm in a rush I take a mildly cold shower, but never hot.

Thanks for the clear and concise answer.

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
Wake up at 4:45
Meditate for 11 minutes
Practice a kata 3 times.
Shower/coffee.
Read/plan.

My morning routine has disrupted recently as my wife had a car accident, and I have to drive her to work. She has to get in by 7:00 am, and my oldest daughter has a bus at 7:20, so everyone is up before 6:00 am. Things will be going back to normal soon, however.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.