The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
I admire you for writing this out and asking for advice. Sometimes the best way to figure something out is by trying and failing.

What you’re missing is alignment with your truest self and faith in the path. Your truest self isn’t what you do it’s what you love. If you need faith find people who have already gone a bit farther on the path and listen to their stories.

Who are you?
You love nourishing your body and disciplining it by challenging it beyond what it’s capable of. You enjoy sweating and being in pain. You enjoy the pride that comes from having that discipline, for taking excellent care of your body. You have an engaging relationship with exercise.

As far as work goes..you don’t love a lot of it. You flirt with ideas but you aren’t dedicated. It’s a shallow relationship. You’re not giving yourself time to connect fully with any one idea enough to value it. You’re doubting your relationship with work because it might not be worth your investment. You might not get back something as valuable as your time. But how valuable is your time worth right now..?

Finding a career or business is very much like finding a friend. It’s NOT like finding a family or a wife or a soulmate. You’re going to have lots of friends in your life, hopefully, not just one.

How does friendship work? You introduce yourself, find similarities, meet regularly, make each other happy or content by exchanging energy and then... BECAUSE you are happy with this person you then say “Oh yea this is my best mate” And you keep being friends.

What you’re saying about trying and failing is that you keep meeting a bunch of great “people” (paths or careers or businesses) but that when it comes down to deciding if you really want to invest in them and be a better friend by hanging out more often with them, you stop and give up and say - “meh. They’re not worth my time because who knows if I’m supposed to be wasting my time with that kind of friend?!?”

But right now you have no friends. So.. that sucks.

You aren’t magically meant to do just one thing in this universe. Your “calling” if you choose to believe in such a thing isn’t to be a roofer or an insurance salesperson or an entreperneur or a teacher. Your calling is to bring love and focus and commitment and precision into the world by being a person of love and focus and commitment and precision.

Which business sparks your desire? None of them? GOOD. Businesses aren’t girlfriends. They’re friends. Which business do you want to be a friend with? Which business do you think will laugh at your stupid jokes and bail you out of jail at 2am? Which business will you be happy to introduce to your other friends and family? Which business will you prefer over your other friends?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Humble Fastlaner

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Aug 18, 2020
Malaysia
I admire you for writing this out and asking for advice. Sometimes the best way to figure something out is by trying and failing.

What you’re missing is alignment with your truest self and faith in the path. Your truest self isn’t what you do it’s what you love. If you need faith find people who have already gone a bit farther on the path and listen to their stories.

Who are you?
You love nourishing your body and disciplining it by challenging it beyond what it’s capable of. You enjoy sweating and being in pain. You enjoy the pride that comes from having that discipline, for taking excellent care of your body. You have an engaging relationship with exercise.

As far as work goes..you don’t love a lot of it. You flirt with ideas but you aren’t dedicated. It’s a shallow relationship. You’re not giving yourself time to connect fully with any one idea enough to value it. You’re doubting your relationship with work because it might not be worth your investment. You might not get back something as valuable as your time. But how valuable is your time worth right now..?

Finding a career or business is very much like finding a friend. It’s NOT like finding a family or a wife or a soulmate. You’re going to have lots of friends in your life, hopefully, not just one.

How does friendship work? You introduce yourself, find similarities, meet regularly, make each other happy or content by exchanging energy and then... BECAUSE you are happy with this person you then say “Oh yea this is my best mate” And you keep being friends.

What you’re saying about trying and failing is that you keep meeting a bunch of great “people” (paths or careers or businesses) but that when it comes down to deciding if you really want to invest in them and be a better friend by hanging out more often with them, you stop and give up and say - “meh. They’re not worth my time because who knows if I’m supposed to be wasting my time with that kind of friend?!?”

But right now you have no friends. So.. that sucks.

You aren’t magically meant to do just one thing in this universe. Your “calling” if you choose to believe in such a thing isn’t to be a roofer or an insurance salesperson or an entreperneur or a teacher. Your calling is to bring love and focus and commitment and precision into the world by being a person of love and focus and commitment and precision.

Which business sparks your desire? None of them? GOOD. Businesses aren’t girlfriends. They’re friends. Which business do you want to be a friend with? Which business do you think will laugh at your stupid jokes and bail you out of jail at 2am? Which business will you be happy to introduce to your other friends and family? Which business will you prefer over your other friends?
Hi Primeperiwinkle,

Thank you for putting it into perspective and explaining it to me! I do find your words relevant to how I think/feel.

Now that I think of it, I am really not giving myself enough time to fully connect with an idea to value it. Also, I've never viewed business as a relationship or friendship. You were right, it was more like a shallow relationship that builds on the money. Thank you for showing me a different way of seeing business. I truly appreciate your time writing this!

Humble Fastlaner

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Aug 18, 2020
Malaysia
Hi fastlaners, I am an ambitious yet somewhat directionless 25-year-old seeking for your advice. Two years ago, I quit my job and hopped on the entrepreneurial journey. Over these past 2 years, I've been jumping from one stuff to another, didn't persist on anything that I initially started. I saw this problem in myself and spoke to my closest friend about it. One of the questions he asked that got me thinking was this: "You can persist on working out every weekday morning, but what can't you bring that persistency into your work/business?". I gave it a thought and this is what I realized...

The reason why I can put in the work every single morning was that I know I am on the right path. I know that as long as I persist, I will see the result and reach my goal. However, with entrepreneurship, it's different for me because I am not even sure if the chosen path was right. I don't know if this thing I do will be able to get me to where I want. And this kind of thinking has made me constantly question myself as I work on something and ended up jumping from one stuff to another. I guess I'm afraid of putting in too much effort and wasting my time in the wrong "path".

Can anyone give me some advice? What should I do?

I appreciate your help! Thank you!!

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
Hi mate,

I can totally agree with you. Working out is my favorite part of the day (always in the evening) and it's somewhat difficult to focus 100% on a project without knowing if it does work.
In that case, it's easiest if you either have a mentor or even better a business partner, who is in a similar mind space and willing to build a business with you.
In which sector did you try to start a business then?

GatsbyMag

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 20, 2016
I feel you.

The only answer anyone can give you is ACTION.

Either you stay consistent and see results or you don't see any results.

I could be wrong, but there's no real answer to this question aside from finding out yourself.

One thing is for sure, if you keep being inconsistent, then you won't see ANY results.

That's it.

Humble Fastlaner

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Aug 18, 2020
Malaysia
Hi mate,

I can totally agree with you. Working out is my favorite part of the day (always in the evening) and it's somewhat difficult to focus 100% on a project without knowing if it does work.
In that case, it's easiest if you either have a mentor or even better a business partner, who is in a similar mind space and willing to build a business with you.
In which sector did you try to start a business then?
Hi Kasimir,

Thank you for your reply! Yes, I agree that I may need a mentor, which is why I came to this forum to seek advice. :)

I tried starting a digital marketing agency, soon figured out I didn't like the nature of the work. Then, I got the opportunity to lead the business side of a work-in-progress hotel booking app but the developer bailed out halfway. Currently, I'm working on a web platform that connects businesses with college students but facing challenges in acquiring users and market demand. Thus, we pivoted to target the local market part-timer/freelancer but that kind of took away the uniqueness of the platform I initially envisioned.

Also, as I'm doing these, I figured that I do not have the maximum flexibility to make changes to the app quickly, thus I'm learning how to build an app by myself so I have full control over the app that I want to build in the future. I guess I do learn quite a bit from all these different experiences, but I'm still figuring out how I can put together these acquired knowledge, experiences, and skills to create something valuable.

Humble Fastlaner

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Aug 18, 2020
Malaysia
I feel you.

The only answer anyone can give you is ACTION.

Either you stay consistent and see results or you don't see any results.

I could be wrong, but there's no real answer to this question aside from finding out yourself.

One thing is for sure, if you keep being inconsistent, then you won't see ANY results.

That's it.
100% agree! If I don't take action and stay inconsistent, I'll never see any results..

Thank you so much for shedding the light!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...