The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A Key Entrepreneurial Lesson from a Janitor with a Mullet Named Joe Dirt

Sean Marshall

Independent since 2010
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
704%
Aug 17, 2011
San Diego, CA
Love it or hate it, in the movie "Joe Dirt" featuring David Spade, there’s a key scene that teaches us what every entrepreneur should know. Joe Dirt approaches a guy with a fireworks stand and finds out he’s failing with his firework business.

Joe Dirt asks where all the “good stuff” is. He rattles off pretty much every kind of firework known to man and realizes the guy isn’t selling any of it. The guy replies that he doesn’t have any of those because, in his words, “Snakes and sparklers are the only ones I like”.

Snakes-and-Sparklers.jpg

Joe Dirt then says, “Well that might be your problem. It’s not what you like. It’s the consumer.”

Yes, for the record, I just explained a vital entrepreneurial lesson from a movie featuring a redneck with a mullet!

However, if more would-be business owners applied this piece of humble wisdom, we would have less business failures in the world.

Let me just repeat what Joe Dirt says:

"It’s not what you like. It’s the consumer"

I know MJ touches on this in TMF , but there's a lot of people out there selling the idea of “get paid to be you” or “follow your passion and the money will follow” or a million other versions of the same thing. It’s ridiculous!

You can start a business following your passion IF there's a clear market for it - like, real people who are willing to give you real money for it.

In my own case, I started an online marketing agency almost 7 years ago. I didn't do it because I'm passionate about online marketing. I did it because I already had some experience with it and most importantly, there was a HUGE market for it.

There still is.

I scaled my business, reduced my involvement, and now I have more time to do things that I'm passionate about.

Wouldn't it be great if all would-be business owners could start off knowing this one thing?

Solve a problem, get paid. Rinse and repeat. Scale to freedom.

In case you're curious, here's a link to the short clip I'm referencing above:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Moved outside...

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Ha! I'm sure there are some great lessons to be learned by selling Callahan Brake Parts as well!
Thanks for the laugh! Must have been fun researching that for the article. :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.