The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A Groupon clone site? Need your opinions.

jaykla

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Nov 2, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Hello,
I am assuming many of you are familiar with Groupon or sites similar to it? Well, I'm considering doing a Groupon "clone" site. Obviously, I don't want to do exactly what they are doing. I have identified a niche market with a real need. My quick research online showed no major players in the category or style I am looking to do.
My question is: Is this a Fastlane business model?
I have found a need
It will effect a lot of people
It can be leveraged
I will be in control...except for the programming (but I've found numerous sites that have templates)

There is another "angle" that I am looking into as well. There seem to be a number of "aggregator" sites that bundle all the deals into one place. My other question is, would it be better to focus more on collecting and presenting deals (aggregating) or going out to business and teaming up with them to offer the deals (like groupon)? Two different things.
Thanks in advance.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
-Can you create a system, be it people, or with programming, that will allow people to do things without you needing to constantly monitor it?

-Is this something a lot of people truly "need"\would use?

If the answers are yes, then, yes it possibly is "Fastlane". Now, want to see if you execute it right, and it's Fastlane? Do it. There is no *absolutely*.

Don't worry about the "best" way right now. Just do something. Your first idea for this is going to be completely different than what you end up with.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
Depending on the revenue structure it may not take too many members to be profitable. I think there is plenty of room for several more. I think I read Crowdcut in the Minneapolis area has about 80,000 members. I do agree that niche sites will be important. Many current deals were heavy into spas and salons, something men dont really want to get on their daily email. They should have some category choices for customers to check off according to their preferences.

I see the big oppty as more and more come online is a coupon aggregator site. Login/subscribe in one spot and get the offers from many different coupon services. Kind of like kayak getting you all the online travel site quotes in one spot.

jaykla

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Nov 2, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks for the feedback. I'm still looking into this and I think the niche market may be the way to go. There seems to be too many sites doing too many things when it comes to groupon type deals. The key, I'm thinking is to specialize and execute one thing well. I'll keep you all posted!

onlineguru

Banned
Apr 28, 2011
To make real good money you should go with Groupon affiliate program its better as it povides 10USD per buyer or members you refer to them its almost equal to how much you would be earning making a deal on your own groupon type site. I'm in affiliate marketing from past few years and today I can post my own success story too :) It all started on my vacations when I had nothing to do and today it is my full time profession and I work just 3 hours a day :D

Coming back to the topic. I would recommend you to develop a site which grabs deals from Groupon. They provide wonderful API system to grab deals directly to your site and then buy purchase would have your affiliate code. Note: They even pay if member just registers.

This is really good. I'm making around 5000USD per month by just Groupon deals site I hold. If you have good budget then hire a good developer to develop a site for you to grab deals from Groupon or else to start up you can use any ready script available. I saw one script which would meet all your requirements... here is the exact link Groupon Deal Grabber

Go over this idea. I'm sure one day you will be posting your success story.

If you need any help in promoting and getting traffic to your Groupon deal site then let me know. I would love to help anyone to make money. Dont worry I dont charge for it. I just love to make others earn from affiliate marketing after all I'm fan of it as it have made my life really good...

Hey wish me... I'm gonna take delivery of my new BMW coupe in 2 days :D

REALLY EXTREMELY EXTREMELY Happy to be an internet marketer. I'm loving it!!!

alankong

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Feb 21, 2011
New Jersey
To make real good money you should go with Groupon affiliate program its better as it povides 10USD per buyer or members you refer to them its almost equal to how much you would be earning making a deal on your own groupon type site. I'm in affiliate marketing from past few years and today I can post my own success story too :) It all started on my vacations when I had nothing to do and today it is my full time profession and I work just 3 hours a day :D

Coming back to the topic. I would recommend you to develop a site which grabs deals from Groupon. They provide wonderful API system to grab deals directly to your site and then buy purchase would have your affiliate code. Note: They even pay if member just registers.

This is really good. I'm making around 5000USD per month by just Groupon deals site I hold. If you have good budget then hire a good developer to develop a site for you to grab deals from Groupon or else to start up you can use any ready script available. I saw one script which would meet all your requirements... here is the exact link Groupon Deal Grabber

Go over this idea. I'm sure one day you will be posting your success story.

If you need any help in promoting and getting traffic to your Groupon deal site then let me know. I would love to help anyone to make money. Dont worry I dont charge for it. I just love to make others earn from affiliate marketing after all I'm fan of it as it have made my life really good...

Hey wish me... I'm gonna take delivery of my new BMW coupe in 2 days :D

REALLY EXTREMELY EXTREMELY Happy to be an internet marketer. I'm loving it!!!

that's awesome that you're making money working 3 hours a day :) congrats on the success story man. and that's a great tip you gave out..i never knew groupon had an affiliate program. and although joining groupon's affiliate program may not be "fastlane", it's still a good way to make money to finance a fastlane project (that's my perspective at least!)

onlineguru

Banned
Apr 28, 2011
that's awesome that you're making money working 3 hours a day :) congrats on the success story man. and that's a great tip you gave out..i never knew groupon had an affiliate program. and although joining groupon's affiliate program may not be "fastlane", it's still a good way to make money to finance a fastlane project (that's my perspective at least!)

Yeah, thats true. You cant depend on just Groupon but it can surely be a part of your earnings. I pointed out Groupon because the topic was all about it. I'm member of around 7 affiliate programs and Groupon is on my top 3rd position paying me so good amount at much shorter time. Just answered to your PM :)

Onlineguru looks like they are giving a spammy message and link......maybe.

May I know who is giving spammy message or link? If you feel its spammy then you can report it or if you are saying that the link I provided is spammy then ill request to get it removed. I dint had any intention to point out about that particular script. You can Google about many but I found that the best considering the price.

Its good to startup with it. Atleast in start you need to learn few things and its obvious you are going to make mistakes so its better to start up with small investment rather then spending 1000s of $s in getting custom site developed. Thats just my views if you think you can put up more money then better hire a professional team to code you better site and just play with it until you get back huge profit!!

One day success will be yours!!!!

m1522632

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Apr 15, 2011
I am waiting when sites like Groupon will start falling apart. This service doesn't provide as much value as they claim..

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
I am waiting when sites like Groupon will start falling apart. This service doesn't provide as much value as they claim..

It will be soon.. He should of sold out. Groupon will go down as one of the biggest business blunders in history.

Think Mark Cuban and if he not sold out.

SThiess

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 29, 2011
I would watch the market carefully. Facebook is trying to kill Groupon and other sites like living social. They are implementing this with add-ons into Facebook. For me there would be already to many players in this game.

Inphinity

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 20, 2007
Auckland, NZ
I respectfully disagree. To a point. There are a couple of directions that such sites could very subtly move in that could increase their sustainability quite drastically without too much change in their base platform and model - it's just a matter of which (if any) do so before it's too late ;)

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
It will be soon.. He should of sold out. Groupon will go down as one of the biggest business blunders in history.

Think Mark Cuban and if he not sold out.

True. Now, there are so many competitors that are chipping away at their customer base that I don't see them lasting long at the top. Facebook is getting into social deals and they have an advantage because they already have 600 million members who could potentially click on those deals that they see when they log in, especially if they see that their friends are buying into those deals.

CEBenz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Apr 16, 2011
Tacoma, Wa
True. Now, there are so many competitors that are chipping away at their customer base that I don't see them lasting long at the top. Facebook is getting into social deals and they have an advantage because they already have 600 million members who could potentially click on those deals that they see when they log in, especially if they see that their friends are buying into those deals.

is it 600 million? My research the other day showed about 500 million? On the other hand, what's 100 million between friends? lmao

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego

Kfleming

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Apr 29, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Glad some other people agree with me here. Groupon is going to be the next AOL - I still can't believe they turned down the $6,000,000,000 offer from Google - I just don't see how it is anything more than a glorified email list.

Most of the businesses who sign up with Groupon or Living Social, have no interested in participating again, simply because the new people who come in from these services are just looking for a good deal.

The first thing that goes through anyones mind when they see something discounted for 50 - 75% off is "What's wrong with it?", "Are they going out of business?". That is not the kind of exposer I would ever want for my business.

CEBenz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Apr 16, 2011
Tacoma, Wa
Glad some other people agree with me here. Groupon is going to be the next AOL - I still can't believe they turned down the $6,000,000,000 offer from Google - I just don't see how it is anything more than a glorified email list.

Most of the businesses who sign up with Groupon or Living Social, have no interested in participating again, simply because the new people who come in from these services are just looking for a good deal.

The first thing that goes through anyones mind when they see something discounted for 50 - 75% off is "What's wrong with it?", "Are they going out of business?". That is not the kind of exposer I would ever want for my business.

Actually, a business I work for has used it for lead generation. The thought was that after a sampler deal we offered through living social, people might want to move up to the full service. Oddly, what we found so far is, that less than 25% have even made an effort to use their voucher essentially resulting in free money. It was a result we hadn't anticipated.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.