The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A great sidewalk example.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
Wasn't sure whether to put this as sidewalk or a fastlane funny (it made me laugh) but here it is.

Guess what I witnessed the other day? A woman returned a vegetable to the grocery store for 77 cents. She didn't purchase anything else, no! She went to the grocery store to get a refund on something for 77 cents and only for this reason. She was waiting in line for at least 2 minutes. I have no idea where exactly she lived, but I bet she was at least 5 minutes walk minimum from the store.

It took this woman 10-12 minutes to make 77cents. This woman therefor must value her time at $4.62 per hour maximum. That's not even half of minimum wage here.

EDIT: I even got the maths wrong and made it look bad.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015

becks22

90% coffee, 10% everything else
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY
My mom has done this.. Granted I don't think she's ever driven to the store specifically to do this but she does go to customer service next time she's at the store though and will stand in line for as little as a nickel. I don't get it...

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
I don't recognize or acknowledge stuff like that anymore. I'm by no means a fastlane trillion-dollar-story success, but I understand that the vast majority of people don't want or care about what those who frequent this website want and care about.

And there is nothing wrong with that.

When I'm running my own media company, I'm not going to talk shit about the janitor because he works hourly.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
I don't recognize or acknowledge stuff like that anymore. I'm by no means a fastlane trillion-dollar-story success, but I understand that the vast majority of people don't want or care about what those who frequent this website want and care about.

And there is nothing wrong with that.

When I'm running my own media company, I'm not going to talk shit about the janitor because he works hourly.

I think you missed the point?

I'm not bashing anyone who works on the hourly, It's about wasting time.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
It's about wasting time.

And yet ask anyone if they'd like to "work" for $4.62 an hour and they'll scream bloody murder. Yet give them a savings opportunity at the same rate and you'll have tents lined up around the building. (Quote I grabbed from my next book.)

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Wasn't sure whether to put this as sidewalk or a fastlane funny (it made me laugh) but here it is.

Guess what I witnessed the other day? A woman returned a vegetable to the grocery store for 77 cents. She didn't purchase anything else, no! She went to the grocery store to get a refund on something for 77 cents and only for this reason. She was waiting in line for at least 2 minutes. I have no idea where exactly she lived, but I bet she was at least 5 minutes walk minimum from the store.

It took this woman 10-12 minutes to make 77cents. This woman therefor must value her time at $4.62 per hour maximum. That's not even half of minimum wage here.

EDIT: I even got the maths wrong and made it look bad.

She didn't do the math.

juan917

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jul 27, 2015
And yet ask anyone if they'd like to "work" for $4.62 an hour and they'll scream bloody murder. Yet give them a savings opportunity at the same rate and you'll have tents lined up around the building. (Quote I grabbed from my next book.)

is there an ETA on its release?

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I've returned milk before because it spoiled ...for $3. I didn't do it for the money (and I doubt that lady with the vegetable did either). I did it because I was annoyed, I needed the milk, and I wanted to let them know that they have an issue they need to deal with.

This is why I buy my milk from Costco...I've never gotten bad milk from there...ever.

HoneyBadger

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
201%
Jul 14, 2016
Florida
I've returned milk before because it spoiled ...for $3. I didn't do it for the money (and I doubt that lady with the vegetable did either). I did it because I was annoyed, I needed the milk, and I wanted to let them know that they have an issue they need to deal with.

This is why I buy my milk from Costco...I've never gotten bad milk from there...ever.
It's because their walk-in coolers are so cold you walk out with frost in your hair.

Ricoboxing

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
310%
Oct 30, 2014
Canada
I've returned stuff based on the principle. Not because I needed that $2 back, but because the store shouldn't be taking my $2 for something that's not worth the $2 (eg. Broken, defective)

It's not always about the money.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia

Stop posting in these threads and finish your book!

Please?

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015

I've returned stuff based on the principle. Not because I needed that $2 back, but because the store shouldn't be taking my $2 for something that's not worth the $2 (eg. Broken, defective)

It's not always about the money.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

Ah yes, I'm glad you guys bought this up. "The Principle", I must remember to add that into where I'm going with this.

In regards to @Jon L and your milk, did you replace it with some other milk? The person in question didn't replace the vegetable with another vegetable which would have been fair enough, still a bit of a time suck, but if you need this vegetable for a recipe you're making then fair enough. If you need milk, you need milk and may as well get your money back in the process.

@Ricoboxing I used to think like that too. It's actually cheaper to just chuck something away if it's under a certain amount though. The best way to use "the principle" is by taking your business somewhere else next time, be it a brand, store, whatever. If possible of course.

Wasn't it your first book that mentioned the free bucket of chicken example? Also the black friday phenomenon.

Looking forward to the new book massively! I need to PM you something that might be of interest in regard to Time and Action.

EDIT: I see that may in fact be impossible, so I'll post it here.....

There's 2 books I read recently that may be of interest to you for your new book. Breaking the Time Barrier, which is a free book from Fresh Books (can't remember the Author), and Edward De Bono's; Intelligence is not Enough which I found very insightful in regards to action. Not sure if you've read either of them or not.

Last edited:

eTox

Expect success, but prepare to fail.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
May 21, 2016
Toronto
IMHO, that woman just has nothing to do and the real reason she went through the trouble is for communication. Just like elderly people go to doctors here, just to spend some time, and have a chat with the doctor and people in line...

Ricoboxing

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
310%
Oct 30, 2014
Canada
The best way to use "the principle" is by taking your business somewhere else next time, be it a brand, store, whatever. If possible of course.

Yes I completely agree that taking business elsewhere is the best way. But returning the item and/or making a complaint might actually help that business or store fix the problem (could be an employee) that they may not be aware of. If you owned a store, I'm sure you would rather have customers return to the store to get there money back (pointing out the problem) rather than just take their business elsewhere.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.