The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A Call to Action

Baymax

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jun 23, 2016
Just Do It!
That's what I've told been telling myself these past few months. Start a blog, start a Youtube channel, it doesn't have to be great. Just do it. After learning the basics of setting up a WordPress blog, I decided to just do it. I also decided to start a Youtube channel.

I've purchased the domain, dennispilat.com for my blog and I currently have the Youtube channel, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEUvyQ2Y2vu7M7xVj3mYv8A

Although it's not perfect, I've already posted two blog posts. They're very random, and I don't have a real niche that I'd like to talk about. But I'm just doing it. On my blog I'm posting any tips or resources I could give that others can benefit from. Again, it's not perfect, but I'm still doing it.

My Youtube videos are not perfect, but I'm still doing it. I noticed Andy Black's been using SnapChat so that's what I've been using in my Youtube videos currently. But I am moving away from it. And am learning more about video editing. I've been told my videos have been cringey because of the way that I dress, the atmosphere I'm in, or the things that I'm doing. I don't let those attacks hurt me on a personal level, I look at them as opportunities. Not all negative feedback is bad. (Edited - previously said I didn't give a **** about what others have to say, but I do realize that this is real feedback, real people, and things they have to say. I can listen to them. Thank you Lewj24!)

Even with the negative feedback, I'm still pushing. I'm not letting that bring me down, that negative feedback and disbelief is my motivation to keep going.
I know there are going to be many ups and downs, but I'm learning from my L's. And I'm trying to improve. I'm not sure what I'm going to write about next in my blog posts as I don't have anything specifically to talk about, but it'll come to me...

Now that I've started, I can't stop. I want to encourage anyone else who is on the edge of jumping in, to just jump in! Give it your all. I don't have high quality gear, I just use my cell phone and I use snapchat. I want to improve. And I've started my journey. But, I still need to figure out what I want to actually do.

Just do it, go in, and trust in yourself.

Here is my latest video as of November 29th, 2016. Which is a video that talks about body fat spot reduction. (The Myth) and my latest blog post associated with it. http://dennispilat.com/?p=13

I'd love to hear some advice or learn from some bloggers or Youtubers!
Thanks for reading.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO
Keep working man, keep it up. You are already ahead of a lot of people, including me, because you decided to execute. That being said, I think you should read all of the gold threads in this forum if you haven't already. They will help you tremendously.

I also think you should take in what others say about you and your product sincerely and decide what is best for your business. Don't just say, "F*ck em!" Actually think about what the market is telling you and make a decision to change or not. For example, MJ changed the cover on his book because a lot of people said it was ugly. He didn't just say, "F*ck you." He thought about it and decided they were right and now the book looks more stylish and professional.

I personally hate watching Andy Black's choppy videos. I hated watching yours too. I am just one opinion but I don't see any top YouTubers using Snapchat for their videos.

I also think you should focus on one area and master it. Am I going to your website to learn a new language or to get shredded?

Baymax

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jun 23, 2016
Keep working man, keep it up. You are already ahead of a lot of people, including me, because you decided to execute. That being said, I think you should read all of the gold threads in this forum if you haven't already. They will help you tremendously.

I also think you should take in what others say about you and your product sincerely and decide what is best for your business. Don't just say, "F*ck em!" Actually think about what the market is telling you and make a decision to change or not. For example, MJ changed the cover on his book because a lot of people said it was ugly. He didn't just say, "F*ck you." He thought about it and decided they were right and now the book looks more stylish and professional.

I personally hate watching Andy Black's choppy videos. I hated watching yours too. I am just one opinion but I don't see any top YouTubers using Snapchat for their videos.

I also think you should focus on one area and master it. Am I going to your website to learn a new language or to get shredded?

Oi, I should've said it in a better way. I do take into consider what people have to say. There was a person on Reddit who said I should change the place where I do my videos, instead of doing them in my home. Do it near or in places where the video can relate, if I was doing a fitness video, I should record my video near or inside a gym. Hmm I meant to say that their words didn't hurt me on a personal level. I should edit that out!

Your post is very helpful to me though honestly. Thank you. I'm definitely trying to move away from SnapChat but I like it because it enabled to just start right away :). But I am moving away from the choppy videos! I just wanted to shoutout Andy because I know he uses this sort of style as well!

As for the focusing on one area, that's been what's been most difficult for me. I'm having a tough time figuring that out... I know you've already given me a great post, but is there any tips you could give me on finding what I should focus at? Because I can't see my blog or Youtube channel just being about one thing. Or what one thing I know enough about to be posting about forever.

Again thank you for your post, I really appreciate it!

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
PROVIDE AUTHENTIC VALUE.

But its cool the market will decide if your content is worth watching.

Don't be afraid to pivot.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
I don't think the location is the problem - at least not on a fundamental level.

biggest criticism I have is that your energy level seems low. You're speaking clearly, which is good, but it's monotone and doesn't grab attention. Your personality doesn't come through the camera. Gotta unleash the dragon.

Reality is that you've gotta convey your personality on camera, and be comfortable doing so. Not everybody will like your personality, and that's OK. It's not OK if your personality doesn't come through and you seem like a veggie. The world cannot stand boring people.

As an aside, I would think long and hard about joining the fitness niche. There are many great channels with some over the top personalities and great content (see Pump Chasers vs. Omar Isuf, for example) so you need a good plan on how you're going to stick out. If you just want to get your feet wet and talk about fitness because you're comfortable with it, that's not a problem. Just have a plan if you want to stick out that niche.

Baymax

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jun 23, 2016
I don't think the location is the problem - at least not on a fundamental level.

biggest criticism I have is that your energy level seems low. You're speaking clearly, which is good, but it's monotone and doesn't grab attention. Your personality doesn't come through the camera. Gotta unleash the dragon.

Reality is that you've gotta convey your personality on camera, and be comfortable doing so. Not everybody will like your personality, and that's OK. It's not OK if your personality doesn't come through and you seem like a veggie. The world cannot stand boring people.

As an aside, I would think long and hard about joining the fitness niche. There are many great channels with some over the top personalities and great content (see Pump Chasers vs. Omar Isuf, for example) so you need a good plan on how you're going to stick out. If you just want to get your feet wet and talk about fitness because you're comfortable with it, that's not a problem. Just have a plan if you want to stick out that niche.

You made me laugh when you said, Gotta unleash the dragon imo. Thanks for the tips, I definitely see myself as more introverted, but I do understand that nobody wants to see a boring person. I'll practice being more energetic! And I agree with you, there are many great people in the fitness niche already like Pump Chasers, Omar Isuf, Steve Cooke, Jeff Seid, all those crazy guys. They all got that spirit!

It's also tough because I don't know my niche yet.

Baymax

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jun 23, 2016
PROVIDE AUTHENTIC VALUE.

But its cool the market will decide if your content is worth watching.

Don't be afraid to pivot.
Can you elaborate on not being afraid to pivot? Pivot as in changing niches, stop Youtube, what do you mean? And right now I'm just trying to provide some resources and tips that I think are valuables and will help people. My first video being 4 tips learning a new language. Giving my resources and strategies on learning a new language.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I'm just using Snapchat as a simple, fun, and easy way to get started in video. It's not an intended style, just a means to get started in video.

Snapchat lends itself better to soundbites and shorter videos in general. Which isn't a bad route to be forced down.

It's also a very handy way of making a video composed of snaps throughout your day.

For longer videos you can try Periscope of Facebook live. Or direct to your camera-roll of course.

Not many people will get in front of the camera and be able to take criticism.

Even fewer will be willing or able to do it live.

Well done on getting started.

Keep going!

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
You made me laugh when you said, Gotta unleash the dragon imo. Thanks for the tips, I definitely see myself as more introverted, but I do understand that nobody wants to see a boring person. I'll practice being more energetic! And I agree with you, there are many great people in the fitness niche already like Pump Chasers, Omar Isuf, Steve Cooke, Jeff Seid, all those crazy guys. They all got that spirit!

It's also tough because I don't know my niche yet.
Stand when you're talking to get extra energy.

I prefer standing with a flipchart myself. :)

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Can you elaborate on not being afraid to pivot? Pivot as in changing niches, stop Youtube, what do you mean? And right now I'm just trying to provide some resources and tips that I think are valuables and will help people. My first video being 4 tips learning a new language. Giving my resources and strategies on learning a new language.

To make a change, adjustment, improvement, etc
You learn from every experience, use it.

Of course don't go all crazy either, changing too much is like starting all over from square 1.

Frankie Relax

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
May 1, 2015
Italy
Just Do It!
That's what I've told been telling myself these past few months. Start a blog, start a Youtube channel, it doesn't have to be great. Just do it. After learning the basics of setting up a WordPress blog, I decided to just do it. I also decided to start a Youtube channel.

I've purchased the domain, dennispilat.com for my blog and I currently have the Youtube channel, Dennis

Although it's not perfect, I've already posted two blog posts. They're very random, and I don't have a real niche that I'd like to talk about. But I'm just doing it. On my blog I'm posting any tips or resources I could give that others can benefit from. Again, it's not perfect, but I'm still doing it.

My Youtube videos are not perfect, but I'm still doing it. I noticed Andy Black's been using SnapChat so that's what I've been using in my Youtube videos currently. But I am moving away from it. And am learning more about video editing. I've been told my videos have been cringey because of the way that I dress, the atmosphere I'm in, or the things that I'm doing. I don't let those attacks hurt me on a personal level, I look at them as opportunities. Not all negative feedback is bad. (Edited - previously said I didn't give a **** about what others have to say, but I do realize that this is real feedback, real people, and things they have to say. I can listen to them. Thank you Lewj24!)

Even with the negative feedback, I'm still pushing. I'm not letting that bring me down, that negative feedback and disbelief is my motivation to keep going.
I know there are going to be many ups and downs, but I'm learning from my L's. And I'm trying to improve. I'm not sure what I'm going to write about next in my blog posts as I don't have anything specifically to talk about, but it'll come to me...

Now that I've started, I can't stop. I want to encourage anyone else who is on the edge of jumping in, to just jump in! Give it your all. I don't have high quality gear, I just use my cell phone and I use snapchat. I want to improve. And I've started my journey. But, I still need to figure out what I want to actually do.

Just do it, go in, and trust in yourself.

Here is my latest video as of November 29th, 2016. Which is a video that talks about body fat spot reduction. (The Myth) and my latest blog post associated with it. Lose Stomach Fat in 2 Weeks! | Dennis Pilat

I'd love to hear some advice or learn from some bloggers or Youtubers!
Thanks for reading.

Action is only a waste of time if you don't have the right plan.

I started websites, blogs, youtube channels, dailymotion channels and so on, just to get no visitors.
It was just a waste of time, money and effort.

c_morris

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Oct 30, 2016
Nova Scotia, Canada
Action is only a waste of time if you don't have the right plan.

I started websites, blogs, youtube channels, dailymotion channels and so on, just to get no visitors.
It was just a waste of time, money and effort.

I disagree. Taking action is not a waste of time.

It sounds like you took a lot of action and failed each time. Did you learn anything from your failures or did you repeat the same mistakes?

Your answer to this question will determine if your time was wasted or not.

Sent from my Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I think personally the only way you get good at videos or podcasts is by practice...practice...practice...until it's second nature. You really can't overwhelm yourself with being a perfectionist right at the start. If you watch a lot of videos, you can see the different techniques. And basically, you're not going to make everyone happy. Just as an example, no offense, but I watched another Characters video's on here, about Upwords, and I was totally turned off by first video of Evil etc. So, like he said, I didn't have to watch it. So, this is just an example, different people have different tastes. I just prefer the more professional approach where people are more serious about their business, reputation, and character. Every viewer will perceive video's differently. Someone might like you better, than the macho guy. You're never going to know without trial and error, and really you have to find what fits with your authentic self. It has to be natural, and comfortable.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.