The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

99designs advice

AdamMaxum

a worthy successor indeed
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Apr 30, 2011
NY
Not sure if this has been posted before but just wanted to share some advice for those who need design work and look to 99designs for a contest.

Instead of setting up a contest and paying a decent amount and sometimes still not get a good design there's a better way.

Look at past projects that have been run and open a bunch of them and look at the designs that designers have submitted for that contest. Some contests are closed from the public but a good amount of them are open for public view.

Then look at the designs that were submitted for quality and style. You can get a good feel for how good of a designer each one is this way. After you find a bunch of designers that produced good submissions on other contests...PM them all a simple message telling them what you need and see how much they would charge. The majority of them will reply.

The best part is that they typically charge much less than what a contest would cost you and you've already vetted their design skills from their past submissions and ratings. You can also negotiate with them and etc.

I've found several designers who I can now turn to whenever I need something done at a great cost. Example: I work with one designer for website design and he only charges me $100 for unlimited revisions and full psd files which is a good price for high quality designs.

Just thought I'd share my experience in case it helps anyone save some time and money.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Young-Gun

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Mar 8, 2014
Austin, TX
Great advice, thanks.

Working on my SaaS, and at some point (once I have paying customers), I plan to hire a front-end designer to make the web app look pretty.

At that point, I may very well be following your exact advice, since I'd prefer not to have the overhead of a full-time designer.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us!

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Thanks for posting this. I was looking into using this site because I need to get a logo soon. I have had bad experiences in the past designing logos, partially my fault because I just don't have any artistic ability and have no idea how to explain my ideas to an artist. But this sounds like it will make it a lot easier and more affordable.

Rep+

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
i haven't had good luck on that site for quality appealing designs, have tried it twice. I did put an ad on Indeed and craigslist and got nearly 200 responses from mostly local designers. I'm gonna have assistant put them on an email list and ask for logo submissions and pay the winner. Create my own contest of sorts.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Millenial_Kid5K1

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Feb 14, 2017
Atlanta
I used it recently, paid a few hundred dollars upfront and got probably 40 interested designers with ~250 designs, 70 of which were unique, and 10 of which were extremely attractive. Overall, I was pretty happy with it.

Last edited:

AdamMaxum

a worthy successor indeed
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Apr 30, 2011
NY
I used it recently, paid a few hundred dollars upfront and got probably 40 interested designers with ~250 designs, 70 of which were unique, and 10 of which were extremely attractive. Overall, I was pretty happy with it.

Contests can still be a good way to see a bunch of design examples, but you're paying $300-$600 for a logo contest package. It typically takes at least a few days if not longer to get all the submissions and then go through the revision process of weeding out the bad submissions and offering additional critique on the ones with potential.

The one saving grace is that if you don't find a good one you can get a refund but you've wasted time. Some people use this loophole to see a bunch of design variations, cancel the contest, then take the design they liked and have someone on fiverr or cheaply do it through another source, but I obviously don't recommend that path.

Now if you go to the "discover" tab in the nav and search out designers who do what you need, you can immediately see their entire portfolio. When choosing a designer, it really comes down to their previous artwork as the best indicator of quality. This way you narrow the field to the designers who match your desired look. You then mail them/PM them through 99designs and ask how much for a logo. I just did this for a recent project and everyone replied back except 1. The prices ranged from just $25 up to $500+. The majority of designers quoted me $100 or less. I actually went with the $25 designer and he produced a logo I am going to use so I saved a couple hundred and got what I wanted from a designer I choose based on his portfolio.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.