The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

7 Steps To Freedom II - How to Escape the American Rat Race

For any book discussion

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015
So after doing the Gary Halbert 30 day challenge a while back, Gary recommended in the challenge to read the book 7 Steps to Freedom II - How to Escape the American Rat Race by Ben Suarez.

I found the book to be incredibly detailed. It talks about how to find a quality product, determining if the product is a winner or not, and it goes into great detail on how to structure your business in order scale effectively and it talks about accounting systems, product fulfillment, estimating risk along with of bunch of other topics.

Although the book was written in 1995, I feel that quite a bit of it could be applicable to building a product-based business in today's world.

What are your thoughts on the book?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015
Definitely, I would say that it's probably in my top 5 favorite books because of the incredible amount of valuable information that it provides.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
That story at the end was written in 1995 before any youtube videos about illuminati, good book, story at the end is crazy, it's my second favorite of the challenge after Breakthrough Advertising

woodyb23

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Oct 7, 2015
Columbus, Ohio
Have this book but still need to read it. I was holding off on it because it does not look as applicable as I am in internet marketing and not direct mail. Its a must read though. I read that Gary Halbert article as well.

Bdubz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Feb 6, 2014
That story at the end was written in 1995 before any youtube videos about illuminati, good book, story at the end is crazy, it's my second favorite of the challenge after Breakthrough Advertising
what story at the end its a massive book

jlwilliams

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Dec 14, 2014
Have this book but still need to read it. I was holding off on it because it does not look as applicable as I am in internet marketing and not direct mail. Its a must read though. I read that Gary Halbert article as well.
Not applicable because you are in internet sales "not direct mail"??? Internet sales IS mail order. The difference is email vs paper mail. Your "catalog" isn't a booklet that comes in the mail, it's a web site. They don't write a check, they "click." It's the same thing done differently. Your customers are the same air breathers that used to get stuff from Sears&Robuck and have it shipped by steam train. You access them with the same psychology using slightly updated language and faster medium but.... you are still in the same business.

woodyb23

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Oct 7, 2015
Columbus, Ohio
Not applicable because you are in internet sales "not direct mail"??? Internet sales IS mail order. The difference is email vs paper mail. Your "catalog" isn't a booklet that comes in the mail, it's a web site. They don't write a check, they "click." It's the same thing done differently. Your customers are the same air breathers that used to get stuff from Sears&Robuck and have it shipped by steam train. You access them with the same psychology using slightly updated language and faster medium but.... you are still in the same business.
I should have used better words.

I know there's a correlation between direct marketing and internet marketing.

What I was trying to say is that large parts of it are not applicable.

When you look at the book it has alot on taking orders and how to lay out your office etc.

I'm not dumb enough to think there are no applications between direct mail and internet sales.

I take it you have read it?

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

jlwilliams

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Dec 14, 2014
@woodyb23 , I didn't mean to come off like that. I work with a number of young guys who are that thick headed and you aren't them so I shouldn't dish shit for you that isn't yours.

I get frustrated dealing with people who act like there was no world prior to touch screens. (Conversely, I've had two dealings with seniors over the last few days that underlined a different generational gap.)

Yes, read it years ago. This thread makes me think it's time to dig it back out. I've moved twice since I read it, so finding it may be a project in its own right.

woodyb23

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Oct 7, 2015
Columbus, Ohio
@woodyb23 , I didn't mean to come off like that. I work with a number of young guys who are that thick headed and you aren't them so I shouldn't dish sh*t for you that isn't yours.

I get frustrated dealing with people who act like there was no world prior to touch screens. (Conversely, I've had two dealings with seniors over the last few days that underlined a different generational gap.)

Yes, read it years ago. This thread makes me think it's time to dig it back out. I've moved twice since I read it, so finding it may be a project in its own right.

No worries.

I just bought it 6 months ago. It came with software on a floppy disk. Wtf am I to do with that? Lol

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
what story at the end its a massive book

Right at the end there’s a seperate section about his business story and a warning not to mess with certain industries, he tries to sell weight loss products and the pharmaceutical industry uses government agencies to shut him down. It’s been years since I read this book but I’ve been meaning to pull it out again and see how he does his accounting now that I’m making a bit of money direct marketing physical products like he does

woodyb23

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Oct 7, 2015
Columbus, Ohio
Right at the end there’s a seperate section about his business story and a warning not to mess with certain industries, he tries to sell weight loss products and the pharmaceutical industry uses government agencies to shut him down. It’s been years since I read this book but I’ve been meaning to pull it out again and see how he does his accounting now that I’m making a bit of money direct marketing physical products like he does
I believe he just got out of jail. Something to do with campaign contributions.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.