The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

6 Ways To Stop Being A "Wantraprenuer"

Anything related to matters of the mind

alexanderkjones

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
528%
Mar 24, 2014
Portland, Maine
@Tony I Has a great post going on - 6 Sign's you're a "wantraprenuer" and I started writing a comment that I realized would be more useful as a thread.

Tony's major points were to stop doing this:

1. you mentally masturbate by watching every "motivational video" on youtube
2. you talk and don't do anything
3. you start 100 different projects at once, and give up on all of them after a week
4. you read every business book but don't take any action
5. you make excuses, procrastinate, and overanalyze
6. you chase money

Tony's got a really good point here and I would add for any of you thinking, oh crap this is me, to abstract this to a higher level. Tony's key points are all symptoms of something very specific: Commitment.

There's a reason you're distracting yourself. It's not because you suck or because you have ADHD, it's because your brain is trying to make a decision since you're stuck in fear. Fear is the number one killer of entrepreneurs and the worst part is, it isn't even real. Fear is the perception of future pain. It hasn't even happened yet, but your neolithic noggin is constantly evaluating the probability of life vs death, pleasure vs pain, in everything you do. Can you imagine how that's kind of a mind F*ck for an entrepreneur?

You're looking for answers so that your brain can give you the A OK to move forward on your decision but the answers you're looking for come from experience, not books or videos. You'll never believe it until you do it, you'll never learn the lessons until you make the mistakes.

So, here's my top 6 Steps to Stop Being a "Wantraprenuer", hope you enjoy them.

1) Get clear on your outcomes. What is your goal, how is having a business going to change your life, not in money but in what money, time, freedom will mean to you, your family, and the people you care about. Write down all the ways you see your life changing for the better for at least 5 minutes. Circle the things you REALLY care about. Don't circle the farrari if you've also got "pay off my debt". Get clear, what are your top 3 outcomes for this business and how it will affect your life?

2) Look at your options. This is a great practice from James Altucher, write down at least 10 different ways your could reach the goals you've just said you wanted. Write down all the easy ones like whatever business you're thinking about now, and then 9 other ideas you have. If you haven't committed it means you've got quite a few options. We're about to help you decide, but let's get them all on paper.

3) Value Your Options. Ok, now really look at these and ask yourself one simple question: "What's the fastest path to my stated goals?". The fastest way to Pain is to misuse your time, it's the only resource you can't get back so make sure you make the best educated decision you can here.

Now, there's a caveat, are you excited about the business idea or solution to your goals that's the fastest? If not, go down a peg and hit whichever one gets you excited. We're looking for the most lucrative opportunity that you'll actually enjoy doing.

4) Test Your Hypothesis. Cool, so you've got an idea of where you think there's an opportunity. Great, now go test it. Take your idea and talk to 20 people who you would say are in the target market for this business. Do they care about it? Would they pay for it? HOW BIG OF A PROBLEM ARE YOU SOLVING?

GOLDEN RULE: YOU"LL ONLY BE ABLE TO CHARGE 10-20% OF THE VALUE OF WHATEVER PROBLEM YOU ARE SOLVING.

If people think your idea is cool but they're only saving an hour of time by using your product once a year and they value their own time at $20/hr you can charge $2. That's it. Make sure you've got a valuable solution to an expensive problem. It should be a no-brainer value proposition for your customers.

5) Re-Evaluate. Did you're hypothesis pan out? Does it make sense and was it really validated by potential customers? You can figure this out before spending a dime on product development and you should know this answer to mitigate as much risk as possible, that will make your decisions a lot clearer. If the answer is YES, this looks like a promising idea that can make enough money to get me to my goals, go to step 6. IF NOT, don't worry, go back to your list and grab the next idea, test it, and see what comes back.

You may not be ready to start a business if you haven't gotten good at finding problems. If you've ever read Rich Dad Poor Dad you'll hear how Robert Kiyosaki basically got the best education in the world by being taught from the age of 8 to look for problems and find lucrative solutions. Thankfully it doesn't take that long. Get good at listening to people, understanding what they need, and how you can solve expensive problems. If this is confusing please make mention in the thread and I'll write a follow up.

If you get down to only 5 ideas on your list come up with 10 new ones. If you run out of ideas, ask people what type of business they would start, they'll tell you what products they wish were on the market. It's more valuable to find a Validated idea that will make money than turn your wheels on something that doesn't make sense.

And Now, to step 6 which is what Tony was really talking about...

6) Revel in the Freedom of Commitment. I know right what is that bullshit!? This is really interesting actually. You have no idea how much mental energy and stress your mind is causing you by trying to make a decision to commit to your business. It's exhausting you and you don't even know it. You're living the fear of all your potential failures every day and that's what's holding you back from taking the next step. Commitment is freedom from your own insanity.

Once you've found an idea that makes sense, get's you to your goals, and target customers agree with you, that's all the information you'll ever get before actually trying to build the business.

But here's the trick - Make a commitment for a specific time period, I like 3-6 Months.

Don't say your going to commit to an idea that's unproven for the rest of your life! All you're mind is going to do is worry about what you're going to do if it doesn't work out. You'll be perceiving all kinds of new pain you haven't even fathomed yet. Keep it simple, Commit to developing this business every day for 6 months. Give yourself the freedom to stop worrying about better ideas and start getting traction. At the end of six months you'll have so much new information you'll be able to make an educated decision on wether to continue with the business or really let it go.

In this time period you should be able to create a bare bones product/service and sell it in some form wether that be through ad words, in person sales, or via ecomerce. But if you can't get traction i.e. $$$ from your idea with a few sales in 3-6 months move on or make the idea better, solve a bigger problem.

I hope this was helpful but I want to make sure anyone taking the time to read this post is supported. So, if you're a wantreprenuer:

First know that you're really a full fledged Entrepreneur waiting to get started. An Olympic Diver is still an Olympic Diver before he jumps off the platform. Every entrepreneur was a regular person like you until they made a decision to take the first step.

Second: Post your 10 ideas or your customer feedback here and I will give my best estimation on which idea you should pursue if you're having challenges. If you have sensitive content feel free to PM me.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
1) Flow, Tighter Style, Abundance, and the ability to build things, help friends and take time with it
2) Well, my options are like a pincer. I need to build my inside to achieve the confidence for most of it, the avenues for cash are just several talents I have, no need to point them out here, but I know what they are.
3) The fastest is no doubt the one I'm on
4) ...

I remember this quote from lost "I let the fear in, but only for a few seconds, thats all I'll give it".
Biz is all about leadership in a field where there is no clarity and where you must create it.
Of course you are going to be afraid, you are molding the unknown, to form what people will not destroy but embrace.

I'm not sure if the fear ever goes away, but I know it certainly matters a whole lot less when it doesn't STOP you. Don't let the fear make immediate changes, look piercingly through the fog, create a space for you to work, and bring your A game.
You need stress strength or something, the ability to just handle the stress no one else wants to touch.

Edit: @alexanderkjones
Trailed off into other thoughts
4) Yeah, I've validated
5) Refresh and re-iterate
6) Use some good energy to get stuff going, and keep it going

I just trailled off, I seem to do that occassionally. I liked using your post as a test for if I could get through annoying stuff. It turns out I can albeit a little sluggishly (since normally one can skim over things like this and assume its "duh" stuff).

Is there anything else one should get through in your opinion?

Last edited:

alexanderkjones

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
528%
Mar 24, 2014
Portland, Maine
3) The fastest is no doubt the one I'm on
4) ...

#4 - Validating your assumptions, is the only way to be clear about #3 - Your fastest path to cash. I don't know anything about Rogues business and he may have more to share, but it's important to make that distinction. Do not go blindly into the night when you can take a flashlight and batteries.

Thriftypreneur

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 8, 2013
Commitment is freedom from your own insanity.

Just wanna say that I love this line because it's very true. Over analyzing, fear, doubt, indecision, and every other thing that keeps one from executing an idea, all comes back to a lack of commitment to said idea. Once you're committed to just going forward and executing, so much other stuff falls away.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ammar_J

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jan 6, 2014
Zvornik
i could NOT agree more with everything that has been said in this thread and i am very happy that i came across all of the wise words written. i had the same problem for years and i always knew i want to do something with my life that is more than just sitting in some office and work for somebody else. i had several ideas some of which were terminated due to lack of money. a few years ago i came up with an idea which had the potential to become very successful and lucrative. it was a website for promoting the touristic and natural beauties of Montenegro. to cut long story short, i am from Bosnia but my grandfather has a house on the coast and i was surprised how a beautiful country like this had no proper promotion on the internet, so i decided to make my own. before i even started i surfed the internet to see if there was any that would really blow my mind so that i say ok this is already on the market let's come up with something else but to my surprise there was NONE that would really cover all needs for any potential visitor. and i decided to go for it make the website and acquire as many customers i can (accommodations, restaurants, caffe bars, night clubs,activities and so on) and to promote them so people who use the internet can find their accommodations more easily and even get an entire picture of whatthey can do in Montenegro. the making wasa real problem since i HAD NO knowledge in web design at all, but once i made my decission to go through with it, even friends who doubted me were fascinated by the website, now i have a long way to finish what i started but i made my first step and said yes to the challenge and NO to procrastination and fear. thank you all for posting!!! and @alexanderkjones thank you for all the great posts

Miketing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
May 7, 2014
Highly underrated thread. Many people who are "stuck" or "need help" because they "don't know what to do" could actually figure it out themselves by following these steps.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.