The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

6 Months Ago, Dropping Out of College Would Have Been a Nightmare...

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

Greyson F

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Dec 8, 2013
I was one of the young guns that fought readily on this forum about the pro-college mindset.

In approximately 30 days, while sipping on pineapple juice in Bali, Indonesia, I will be putting my college career on hold while I'm pursuing something that exhilarates me.
20170410_184208.jpg

Things seem to be taking on a different perspective than they were before.

I stopped reading this forum in July to go apply what I've learned and everything changed. I MET A MENTOR.

He hired me onto his company while I was freelancing for the cash needed to launch my soon-to-be failed E-commerce project.

And then he fired me.

On July of 2016, I told this guy I'd work for free. I gave him 3 reasons:
  1. The idea they were pursuing was valuable to me and I could see the value that it produced for our clients
  2. Regardless of payment, I had learned more in a one month period than I had ever learned in college or in launching startups on my own
  3. I wanted new and stochastic. Not predictable and controlled. Not freelancing and college. I desperately wanted a disruption in my life.
He rehired me and my 1 year work anniversary will be in 3 months.

In that short period, I have gained the skills and the seeds needed to proactively generate value for any company I collaborate with for the rest of my life.

In that small time frame, I've grown more PERSONALLY AND PROFESSIONALLY than I would have ever grown on my own or with the help of professors.

I finally listened to this forum and walked the f#$@ off of the cliff, hungrily pursuing everything about this opportunity I had gotten, soaking up every piece of knowledge I could get my hands on, and finally taking the leap of leaving my college dreams behind.

I'm not a millionaire (yet).

I'm not even a hundred-thousandaire, but I've gained more momentum, self-fulfilment, and long-term opportunity than I would have ever gotten on the college path.

My CEO/mentor and I have a lot of personal development talks, and he pointed out 4 key weaknesses that I've been working on whenever I can:
  • Accepting responsibility as a leader
  • Consistency
  • Communication (Personality)
  • Proactiveness (Building a mindset of intuition and being a step ahead)
I made this post not to brag but to ask members here what is next. How do I keep this going? What can I do to leverage this momentum and further succeed?

Are there any book recommendations out there that might help with my 4 core weaknesses as I continue to pursue solutions and good habits?

Regardless, I thank this community for being a great resource :clench: I hope to get the skill mastery and jedi level to be able to give back to the forum in earnest.

-Greyson

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Amon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Jun 29, 2016
Cleveland, OH
I'm not really sure what you're asking here.

How do you keep what going? Working for free?

If you want to accept responsibility, stop letting others take it. Understanding that everything falls on you and your execution is key.
If you want to be more consistent, show up on time. Do what you say you are going to do.
If you want to communicate better, sure you could read books by Dale Carnegie, but my recommendation is to go talk to more people.
Set a goal of talking to X amount of people per day. Real life skill will forever trump any book.
If you want to be proactive - plan, sleep, eat, and dream for tomorrow.

Congrats on the jump from college. Its a rough leap especially if you receive opposition from those close to you for it. However if you want to be an entrepreneur, the college professors that teach business are just not practical. They are being too romantic with how it used to be vs. how it actually is now. That was the right move.

Finding a mentor was also an excellent move. It changed my life. In my opinion, you should have left your mentor after he fired you and found one that is doing what you want to be doing, or living the lifestyle you want to live. They are out there.

Also, you need to start getting paid. Sip less pineapple juice and use the skills you've spent the last year developing to drive your own fastlane.

Good luck.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
My CEO/mentor and I have a lot of personal development talks, and he pointed out 4 key weaknesses that I've been working on whenever I can:
  • Accepting responsibility as a leader
  • Consistency
  • Communication (Personality)
  • Proactiveness (Building a mindset of intuition and being a step ahead)

Accepting responsibility as a leader

Except, replace "as a leader" with "for outcomes". This isn't something that you work on. It's a fundamental way of looking at life.

Take personal responsibility for outcomes. You'll have no problem being consistent or proactive.

Are there any book recommendations out there that might help with my 4 core weaknesses as I continue to pursue solutions and good habits?

Read the Proactive chapter in 7 Habits of Highly Effective People.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.