• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

50K cash right now to invest. What to do?

Discussion in 'Investing/Trading/Cryptocurrency/Altcoins' started by KidMoney, May 5, 2013.

1. KidMoney

KidMoney New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $38
    I have 50k to invest right now. Most people say " Man, if I just had X amount of money I could easily turn that to X amount ". What would you invest in if you had 50k RIGHT NOW purely to invest. I am looking forward to the discussions and ideas. Thanks

2. Silverhawk851

Silverhawk851 Platinum Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $33,153
    I personally love the silent JVs on a land development/RE deals; getting 100% ROI or more within a couple months isn't half bad. Most people will have their eyeballs fall out when they hear that, but believe it or not there are even better ROIs out there.

Comes back to the key; Knowledge is POWER my friend. Get educated first and foremost.

100k and M mourak like this.
  3. hughjasle

hughjasle AutoPilot Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $14,725
    What do you want out of 'investing' it? What would you prefer to do with it? What are your current finances (working making 30k a yr?/college/broke/trust fund baby/etc)? In short tell us more on where you are, where you plan to go, and how you plan to get there in life and then we can give you some suggestions.

BTW I believe there was a thread almost identical to your post (but with a larger amount I believe), would be beneficial for you to check out the responses there as well.

sratemo likes this.
  4. Runum

Runum Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $11,217
    I think that if you have to ask then you stand a big chance of loosing it.

If you were smart enough to accumulate $50K then I would think you would know how to make it grow. Maybe I have something to learn as well.

In answer to your question, it depends on your risk/reward tolerance level and what you expect out of the money. It also depends on how active you want to be in making it grow.

Edit: Up until this year I would have put the money into my real estate business. From what I have learned this year I would be building a sales business selling products for 100-300% profit. Lots of threads about this on the forum.

5. KidMoney

KidMoney New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $38

Thanks for the responses. To give some info on me, I own one business. This is my second business. Started from the lint in my pocket with very very little help. 24 years old with no kids, no house payment, etc. I work for my money but with this 50k I would more or less like to invest into something less labor intensive. I was asking you guys what YOU would do with 50k RIGHT NOW to put into anything that you know could turn a decent profit. Of course I have ideas and I will keep investing and turning a profit accordingly if those play out to be the best option. I am emotionally detached from this money and I will be as active as I need be if the ROI is right. Basically what I was getting at was that a lot in life people sit back and go " I know if I had enough money to buy/invest in ______, I KNOW I could flip/turn/make a good profit". I have ideas but i'm asking you if you set aside 50k where would be your best bet in investing it? Im just looking to brainstorm a few possible ideas. Thanks again

1 person likes this.
  6. Rawr

Rawr Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,363
    I'd get a Winnebago and go cross county with a camcorder. Does this help?

Mods, might be a good idea to sticky one of these threads.

powderhound100 likes this.
  7. Kak

Kak Capitalist Swine Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $15,060
    I'd use it to light my cigars.

8. smartman

smartman Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $898
    I would buy something worth 75k

9. OzzieRob

OzzieRob Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $332
    Don't be too keen to spend it. Make a pillow with it and sleep easy !

parishy and minivanman like this.
  10. Talisman

Talisman Bronze Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,130
    Just go double it 10 times, 50 mil. Then I'd light MY cigar with it.

garyjsmith and Kak like this.
  11. 100k

100k Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,854
    There are a couple of websites where you can lend out your money to business and get 10-20% ROI.

It was shared here a few weeks ago.

I would suggest you invest some of the money to educate yourself before you go balls deep in.

12. Kak

Kak Capitalist Swine Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $15,060
    You would make more money in interest in that 15 seconds than the hundred your burned lighting your cigar. :D

13. Nick

Nick Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $171
    If i were you, I would invest it in the business that you have expertise on and you are currently working in, and probably how you made the first 50k in the first place.

If there were no opportunities for scaling there, or you want something else more passive or to diversify as a source of income, i would invest it in a secondary domain of interest to you where you have some sort of expertise at least enough to see there might be a good ROI, probably something you have dabbled with in the past.

For instance, in my case, i would invest it to grow my outsourcing app development company, because this is the business i am currently working on and have current ongoing expertise.

My second choice would be to invest it in a content publishing model (building websites, posting content, and monetizing with ads/affiliates) because this is something that i have experimented with in the past, and i had success, and i know i can at least find some good opportunities and have enough good domain knowledge to know that it can turn into something passive.

I would never invest that amount of money in an industry that i did not work in or have experience with, unless i would find a very trustworthy partner to run the show.

Big Z and mystery1994 like this.
  14. Omerta

Omerta Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $769
    Gold, real estate.

mystery1994 likes this.
  15. socaldude

socaldude Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $9,455
    If you dont know what or how to invest it then you don't invest the money. Keep it safe in a bank account. Never invest in something you don't understand. Chances are you will lose money.

minivanman, FMJJ, Big Z and 4 others like this.
  16. Kak

Rep Bank:
    $15,060
    I use JP Morgan. They consulted with me about what I wanted and have preformed pretty well. Much better than a bank account...

1 person likes this.
  17. biggeemac

biggeemac Silver Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,628
    My wife and I just invested a little over $2k into our new startup business. I FULLY expect to turn that $2k into $50k before the end of the year. The ways exist.....its all about finding ways to get people to HAPPILY open their wallets and keep 'em coming back for more. Good luck.

sWALK90 and Traveling Morgue like this.
  18. sal

sal Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $218
    You could look into investing some of that in the online currency "Lite Coins" - the price of them is still rather low. Maybe sit on them for awhile and exit before the bubble pops? Idk. Do some research before splashing though!

19. cdrag

cdrag Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $82
    Invest in high CGC graded silver age comics :)

1 person likes this.
  20. Capital

Capital Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $65
    Bitcoin. :coolgleamA:

sratemo likes this.
  21. Pixpax

Pixpax Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $128
    Invest in a real business startup (not an idea that might make money). Something that you put in $1 and consistently and predictably returns $2 within X months (preferably 6-12).

Thats what Im currently doing and it seems to work. You need to create the business and test until you find your thing though.

22. Barry

Barry Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $114
    Do you have a plan?

23. smartman

smartman Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $898
    this is actually a really great piece of advice if you are willing to speculate, and sit on the investment for a while. I have watched someone in my previous market push the pile, so to speak, by buying up top graded comics, and then waiting for someone to pony up the money for the best conditioned copy of the comic, of which he holds. Minimal work is involved. Storing a comic book is a cost=zero business variable. However, you could be using that 10-50k invested in the book in a more active manner and possibly make more money.

24. EastWind

EastWind Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $394
    the problem with what should i do with $X if you saved for it is this. keep saving until you can think for yourself and figure out what to do.
    if you won/inherited it, save it until you can figure out what to do with it yourself.
    if you made it via business, expand if possible or find a new business.

25. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $335,585
    Admin Post
    To be honest, $50K is not enough to generate any substantial amount of passive income via market investments. A 5% dividend is $2,500 a year or just north of $200 a month. Any type of higher yield investment would put the principle at risk.

I would keep the $50K in a highly liquid brokerage account and have it invested in either A) Cash or B) Something low yielding.

This way the cash remains as an option on assets. (This is as Warren Buffet says, and generally I don't quote him because I think he's full of sh*t, investing one way, and telling the public to invest another way)

However method you used to accumulate that $50K, I would continue doing that, or use the cash to leverage into higher returning ventures that you can leverage and control, namely, your own business ventures. Say a great business opportunity comes along and you have a chance to get a piece; with cash handy, you have that option. Without cash, you do not.

IMO, the stock market is always a dangerous investment, and right now with the indexes trading at all time highs, the level of risk is higher than normal. Don't let the mainstream media fool you into thinking otherwise... If you are willing to stomach the risk, I like MLPs, REITS, and old stalwart dividend payers.

And as always, this is my opinion and should not be construed as professional and/or financial advice. Such advice should come from a "trained" professional, you know, the one barely getting by with a sh*t ton of credit card debt and a 800K mortgage. LOL.

OverByte, Tommo, SoftStone and 22 others like this.