The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

500+ LinkedIn Connections in 30 Days

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

axiom

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Dec 6, 2014
Lately I've realized what an incredible professional tool LinkedIn is. Before this point, I've been very inactive on traditional social media as I find it to be an empty time-suck.

LinkedIn is different, though. If you are involved in big deal-type business, a fully fleshed out LinkedIn profile and 500+ connects can lend a huge plus sign in your favor. Its time for me to take advantage of the positives involved with the new internet age.

Especially in sales, I'm confident LinkedIn will provide a huge boost to my credibility, which is vital. So this thread's purpose will be to document my brand new account's progress from 0 connects to 500+ connects.

Already filled out my profile completely. Time to start online networking.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

axiom

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Dec 6, 2014
Update #1: Got 5 connects while I was typing the OP.

Mac

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 10, 2015
What I do is just search up some random profession. Take "Toronto Freelance Copywriter" for example. Then I go through their connections and just spam "connect" with everyone. Managed to land a solid copywriting gig from it. And I didn't even reach out to anyone.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Not to, uh, burst your bubble, but does this really need a progress thread?

Should be a separate thread outlining what you did after the fact, something like "Foolproof Method to 500+ LinkedIn Connections in 30 Days", and I think this thread already exists here.

You're literally just clicking buttons. You don't need to write a special message to get people to connect with you (a simple "Hey, I run this business, I think I can help you" works fine if you don't want to use the default).

I'm interested in seeing what you DO with those connections.

illmasterj

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Jan 19, 2016
1360m
What is the benefit? What is your "connection" other than a link on a website?

Paul Thomas

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Jul 9, 2013
Unfortunately - I don't know anyone in high finance that values LinkedIn profiles or even cares about them. LinkedIn is a great personal tool for connecting, but I don't see it as super valuable on the building credibility front.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Unfortunately - I don't know anyone in high finance that values LinkedIn profiles or even cares about them. LinkedIn is a great personal tool for connecting, but I don't see it as super valuable on the building credibility front.

Recruiters would greatly disagree. LinkedIn is prime for HR.

Paul Thomas

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Jul 9, 2013
Recruiters would greatly disagree. LinkedIn is prime for HR.

I agree with that - I noted high finance meaning bankers, hedge fund managers etc.

Do you think a decision maker at a hedge fund or private equity firm is going to check the LinkedIn of the seller (banker and company) to validate their investment thesis? It could however, connect a buyer and seller in the first place I suppose.

This is not saying there aren't areas like recruiting, headhunting and lower stakes sales where it could help.

axiom

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Dec 6, 2014
I'm only going through my own contacts and their contacts to build new ACTUAL connections. Following random people would be a waste of time.

Don't like it? Don't post on it.

Georgy

Stranger in Moscow
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Mar 7, 2016
Canada
Linkedin is golden. It's all about networking and if you don't have a LinkedIn account then you're really not exposing yourself.

Some of the companies I work with now were only exposed on Linkedin, otherwise I wouldn't have bumped into them or vice versa.

Premium account is also worth it once you max out your resources on the free account. Also make sure you have a juiced profile. List keywords, add pictures of past projects for proof and have a professional profile pic, not a selfie lol. The more keywords you have for your industry, the more relevant the people who connect with you are instead of people outside your industry, unless of course you're doing sales (the more the merrier lol).

Good luck with the networking :)

mammoth_hunter

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Apr 2, 2016
Warsaw, Poland
Yes, Linkedin is great for credibility in sales - and for finding good prospects. I recommend getting a paid account there, it really helped me get more deals. I never tried blogging there, but I heard many complaints that it is not effective - no way to really reach all your connections.

G

GuestUser141

When I market online to sites like facebook ,linkedin,twitter etc I play the numbers game

Mass produce keywords related to my niche, (1000 plus) automate the messaging,through scraping process to build both followers and interest. Create advert's related to products i'm promoting.

Rinse and repeat

Once my followers/connections reach a high count, i discard the rubbish followers/connections then mine prospects of interest.As they are not internet/marketing savvy,but sheep,they wide open for a pitch
Sheep follow,sheep i.e the higher the follower /connection count the higher the esteem,which is B.S

However,trump has gamed the system this way,with Filipino and Indian followers

why can,t you.

nradam123

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Mar 14, 2016
Anyone successfully used Linkedin for Freelance business?

daivey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Apr 6, 2014
Not to, uh, burst your bubble, but does this really need a progress thread?

Should be a separate thread outlining what you did after the fact, something like "Foolproof Method to 500+ LinkedIn Connections in 30 Days", and I think this thread already exists here.

You're literally just clicking buttons. You don't need to write a special message to get people to connect with you (a simple "Hey, I run this business, I think I can help you" works fine if you don't want to use the default).

I'm interested in seeing what you DO with those connections.

exactly. how is it/what are you progressing in? Anyway can go on linked in and press connect with EVERYONE and grow your linked in account.

you can also do this with facebook. twitter. everything else.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I do have 500+ connections in LI. The large number of connections are simply chatter to me. Supposedly the number makes you look important. I guess so but that number has not done anything for me that I am aware of.

I have used LI to locate particular people at specific vendors that I wanted to do business with. That has been very useful.

oimate

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Jul 8, 2015
[HASHTAG]#landfill[/HASHTAG]

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I've about 7,000 LinkedIn connections. 5,000 of them here in Ireland.

I've had good bits of work out of it without doing anything... just by being found by people who've heard of me and went looking for me on LinkedIn.

I intend to promote videos and articles on LinkedIn, and having a lot of connections means more will see them, and share them if they're good enough.

Are all of those eyeballs going to be prospective clients? Of course not, but if they see me as "The AdWords Guy", then the next time someone they know complains about losing money with their AdWords account, then they might think of me.

This is what's happened in this forum. I don't get work from other forum members, but forum members refer me to people they know.

This is me btw: https://ie.linkedin.com/in/andyblack10

I was on a LinkedIn for Business course and while the instructor gave us some over-complicated method of messaging each person they wanted to connect with, I did the below and got about 100 new connections in about 20 minutes.

Granted, mine weren't as "targeted", but each method has it's place.

It's very easy to get more connections.
Create a profile that people would want to connect with.
Then do this a few times each day.

hkBAAxf.png

EDIT:

JMGZL0b.png

Last edited:

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
What specific tactics are you using? I joined 4 days ago and am up to 100 connects as of today. I got a job offer also.

Recruiting, if he's smart.

I've about 7,000 LinkedIn connections. 5,000 of them here in Ireland.

BO$$.

I was on a LinkedIn for Business course and while the instructor gave us some over-complicated method of messaging each person they wanted to connect with, I did the below and got about 100 new connections in about 20 minutes.

Granted, mine weren't as "targeted", but each method has it's place.

It's very easy to get more connections.

Create a profile that people would want to connect with.

Then do this a few times each day.

That's all great.

In the initial profile-building phase, It doesn't necessary have to be "targeted." You just need to get to that "500+" to score the social proof points that help in the upcoming engagements with real-life people.

[HASHTAG]#landfill[/HASHTAG]

Lol.

Your FACE is [HASHTAG]#landfill[/HASHTAG]

Lmao.

Seriously, though. This thread has potential.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
In the initial profile-building phase, It doesn't necessary have to be "targeted." You just need to get to that "500+" to score the social proof points that help in the upcoming engagements with real-life people.
Agreed.

It also doesn't have to be "targeted" if you're intending to knowledge bomb and want your articles/videos seen and shared. I'm in the B2B space, and people on LinkedIn are mostly either business owners, or employees. Both would like their business to succeed.

Ireland is a tiny place. It's like 1 degree of separation. When I get round to hitting LinkedIn with all my articles, I'm hoping to make a few waves.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
Agreed.

It also doesn't have to be targeted if you're intending to knowledge bomb and want your articles/videos seen and shared.

Ireland is a tiny place. It's like 1 degree of separation. When I get round to hitting LinkedIn with all my articles, I'm hoping to make a few waves.

Exactly.

I think Linkedin is probably the most underrated social media platform, especially by millennials.

Lots of things you can do on Linkedin.

Recruit.

Find the right contacts at the right companies... prospecting, research, etc.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Screen Shot 2016-05-18 at 10.29.25 AM.png

I have just been using this side bar with adding about 50 people everyday. I don't know who any of these people are but I want to get it up to that 500+ mark ASAP. It seems if I do a lot in one day it starts asking for email addresses to connect (which I don't have).

Andy... 7,000? That is a crazy high number. For Ireland that is nearly every business owner ha.

Last edited:

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
View attachment 12416

MUHAHAHAHA!

Used Andy's method above, Thanks Andy! I sent you a message to connect.

It is a scientifically proven fact that hustles incorporating evil laughter yield greater increases in income over hustles that do not employ a villainous cackle.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
It is a scientifically proven fact that hustles incorporating evil laughter yield greater increases in income over hustles that do not employ a villainous cackle.

Fact, all the most driven guys I know have the loudest laughs. Looking at Andys page I really need to step up my LinkedIn game. I definitely need a new pic, improved content and also work on getting some great personal endorsements. This will be a main goal for the next few weeks.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
View attachment 12416

MUHAHAHAHA!

Used Andy's method above, Thanks Andy! I sent you a message to connect.
Easy eh?

Everyone over-complicates things.

When LinkedIn gives you suggestions for new connections, it's for a reason. It's a social network. It's value increases exponentially the more connections there are between members. They WANT us to get more connections.

Just don't overdo it and look like a bot or spammer...

At a guess, if you send lots of connection requests and no-one accepts, then that's probably not going to look good. So make your profile look legit, and be someone people want to connect with.

The reason so many people will accept your connection request if you look legit, even though they don't know you? Maybe, just maybe, they might think it's a good idea to grow their business network?

Everything gets really simple when you put yourself in other people's shoes.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
"You are now connected with Andy Black"

I'm in the Fastlane LinkedIn boat now! Thanks for all this advice Andy

giphy.gif

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
View attachment 12421

Last update for today. I have close to 100 new contacts today. Andy's post basically explained the only tactic you need to get over 500+
Awesome.

I even go as far as zooming out in the browser so I don't have to move the mouse so far when clicking the connect buttons.

Here's how you can see your number of connections by country:

1) Click on Advanced:

pbKER8z.png

2) Close this pop-up:

zJNqWh1.png

3) Remove second connections and group connections:

kpQCdZh.png

4) Voila:

GsF10oQ.png

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.