The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

5 [Horrible] Reasons to NOT Be Rich

blackhat

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Mar 24, 2015
Found this gem on Flipboard.

I guess it's time to abandon my fastlane plans.

1. You will contribute more to war [because you'll pay more in taxes].
  2. You will hasten the destruction of the planet.
  3. Your prosperity = someone else’s poverty.
  4. Money makes you meaner.
  5. Money won’t make you happy. In fact, it’s more likely to make you miserable.

https://www.opendemocracy.net/transformation/darrin-drda/five-reasons-why-you-never-want-to-be-rich

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Aidan

Next Year, you will wish you had started Today.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 13, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Protip. If you pay taxes, you are contributing to war anyway.

Money won’t make you happy. In fact, it’s more likely to make you miserable.

@MJ DeMarco @biophase @Vigilante @AllenCrawley + many other fastlaners are absolutely unhappy with the fact that they get to wake up every morning on their own accord, and do whatever they want with their lives

someone else’s poverty

I like the way the article paints everyone with the same brush. This however, is never the case. Let's take a look at WHY someone is 'Poor'. Do they spend more than they can afford? Is this a case of wealth distribution cheating them, or them cheating themselves? The majority of the time it is the latter. People are awful with managing their money let alone themselves.

Money makes you meaner.

You need to be aggressive in the business world, but that doesn't make one a mean person. Aside from having the power to liberate yourself from the rat race, also grants the power to make a change in the world. Not everyone does this, but on a smaller scale, how many average Joe's put as much as a penny in Homeless person's change cup? Not many. It isn't dependant on how much money one has rather than one's personality, and how they were raised to think.

You will hasten the destruction of the planet.

I don't even... That's just a blatant red herring. Fueling the economy doesn't directly relate to the destruction of the planet. It really depends on what industry one is in.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Do people that read this shit have the capacity to think for themselves? Nope, just a bunch of sheep to be sheared.

Your prosperity = someone else’s poverty.

LOL. That's like saying you're a fat slob because someone else is starving. Of course, this argument wouldn't work because we're entitled to our cheeseburgers, fries, and Krispy Kremes.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
You will contribute more to war [because you'll pay more in taxes].

You don't have a say in what you contribute to war. The government says that, not you.

You will hasten the destruction of the planet.

Money is a blip on a screen, it doesn't inherently destroy the planet. Money buys green technologies. Money buys solar panels, Tesla's, organic food. Money buys a log cabin in the woods with no electricity.

Your prosperity = someone else’s poverty.

This = a scarcity mindset and an incorrect view of the world.

Here's the REAL truth: as the global marginal product of labor goes up, the average person in the world gets richer.

You getting richer does nothing to the marginal product of labor (unless you create technologies that INCREASE the marginal product of labor, in which case you getting richer = the world getting richer!). Hence, the two are unrelated!

This is basic macroeconomics. There is no fixed pie.

Money makes you meaner.

No, but it does make you more stingy with time.

What it DOES do is amplify the personality you already had. If you're a dick without money, you'll be a bigger dick with money. If you're a generous person without money, you'll be more generous with money. See: Floyd Mayweather vs Bill Gates

Money won’t make you happy. In fact, it’s more likely to make you miserable.

What a load of crap. Being richer is WAY better. But if you're spending your time to get money, or if you let the drama people bring take over your life... then you'll be miserable.

To the author of the article: gr8 b8 m8

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
But once these basic needs are met (at around $20,000 per year), any additional income doesn’t increase happiness. Instead it makes you more prone to depression, anxiety, substance abuse, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, obsessive-compulsiveness, and other mental and physical afflictions. For further evidence, we can look to the many countries in the world where median income has risen dramatically in recent decades, while levels of reported happiness have either remained steady or declined.

*cough*
inflation
*cough*

http://www.fastcoexist.com/3045425/the-10-happiest-countries-in-the-world#1

And yet Switzerland is the #1 happiest country in the world, and is known for having an EXTREMELY high cost of living....

blackhat

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Mar 24, 2015
The craziest thing to me is that there are people who will read this type of thing and justify not even trying do better financially.

It is the same thing you hear when you talk about a nice house or something and the person responds, yeah, but they're not happy.

1380882502993.cached.jpg

Yea, I doubt Robert Herjavec is happy.

sangmen

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
May 10, 2015
Wait, this is the fastlane forum. What are you doing here? Is there a Slowlane forum? Perhaps you can be happy there with like minded people :)

dirk.wert.3

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Apr 13, 2015
Number 3 really pisses me off while someone can become rich off the reason others are poor they'd still be poor if he didn't get their money just instead someone else will be rich.
This does bring up the question of whether or not there's a difference between amassing wealth and creating wealth.
Most people amass wealth, they provide some sort of service that people are willing to pay for there by amass some of the worlds wealth. I'm not sure what an example of someone who truly creates wealth is.
But unless your literally stealing no one is poor because you're rich chances are the opposite.

Aidan

Next Year, you will wish you had started Today.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 13, 2014
Toronto, Canada
For those of you complaining:

This was a sarcastic post submitted in the "Fastlane Funnies" subforum. You got on the wrong boat if you were expecting to read something serious kids.

blackhat

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Mar 24, 2015
For those of you complaining:

This was a sarcastic post submitted in the "Fastlane Funnies" subforum. You got on the wrong boat if you were expecting to read something serious kids.
In all fairness though, I probably should have added something to the title to make that more clear. Checking in on my phone earlier I realized it's not always clear what sub forum a post is in before you click it. Maybe a better title would be 5 [Horrible] Reasons to Not Be Rich.

That said, if the sarcasm wasn't obvious once you got here, I don't even know what to say.

Last edited:

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
This article was written by a poor person. Alot of generalizations and invalid studies such as people's happiness levels staying the same or declining because their median income increased. The author left out that their depleted happiness might've had to do with them slaving away at a slowlane job. Even if you are filthy rich aslong as you have a purpose in your life you will never get depressed because of the money, you'll see it for what it is which is just resource. Another thing the author doesn't realize is that getting rich most likely had to do with you getting rid of your consumer mindset, someone who has built their own wealth won't be thinking like an average joe, they likely won't be brainwashed by ads that gives them the urge to keep up with the joneses or compete with their neighbour.

Last edited:

risingtomillions

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
May 31, 2015
The craziest thing to me is that there are people who will read this type of thing and justify not even trying do better financially.

It is the same thing you hear when you talk about a nice house or something and the person responds, yeah, but they're not happy.

1380882502993.cached.jpg

Yea, I doubt Robert Herjavec is happy.

I like these kind of articles, it makes me work harder to keep on shitting on people that write this nonsense

valuecreator

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Apr 16, 2015
Australia
LMFAO

I printed the following sequence and put it all over the house (yes, in the toilet too...), you should see the reaction of visitors... good way to separate the wheat from the chaff (and skip a game of Scruples...). (got this from a very successful entrepreneur friend of mine).

1. You want to be rich.

2. Financial wealth will help you and everyone around you.

3. Money isn't evil. It's no more evil than a knife or a gun; it always comes down to the individual.

4. Your goal is to receive $1 million a month.

5. Businesses provide a service, so the more money you make, the more people you help.

6. You owe society nothing and you are entitled to nothing.

7. Profits have helped more people than charity ever will.

;)

OscarDeuce

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Nov 28, 2014
Northern Virginia
Let's see...
  1. You will contribute more to war [because you'll pay more in taxes]. Well, not sure where to begin here. I do everything I legally can to minimize the amount of taxes I pay, but I still pay well over six figures in income tax alone. Still, I doubt that if I quit today and went to live in a monastery it would have any impact whatsoever on the DoD budget, so what.
  2. You will hasten the destruction of the planet. Um, no. The planet isn't in imminent danger of destruction and if it were, it would be rich people with the funds to develop solutions that save the day.
  3. Your prosperity = someone else’s poverty. My prosperity is a direct result of helping numerous companies grow. As a result, their owners and stockholders have become more prosperous as well. More importantly, 100s of new, high paying middle class jobs have been created.
  4. Money makes you meaner. Sure. When is the last time you saw a bunch of rich people riot.
  5. Money won’t make you happy. In fact, it’s more likely to make you miserable. What utter BS. I've been "rich" and I've been "poor." Rich as in nice home in an upscale neighborhood, condo overlooking the Vegas strip, sail boat, power boat, couple of private airplanes, horses, etc. Poor as in living with my wife and 5 cats in an '83 Honda Accord. Trust me, rich beats poor any day!
Cheers,
O-2

ilrein

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 1, 2012
I for one whole-heartedly agree with the expressed sentiments.

Borntowin

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Aug 4, 2015
USA
I think that the only losers and idlers come up with article "Why is it bad to be rich."

H. Palmer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 12, 2011
Fastlane Metro
LMFAO

I printed the following sequence and put it all over the house (yes, in the toilet too...), you should see the reaction of visitors... good way to separate the wheat from the chaff (and skip a game of Scruples...). (got this from a very successful entrepreneur friend of mine).

1. You want to be rich.

2. Financial wealth will help you and everyone around you.

3. Money isn't evil. It's no more evil than a knife or a gun; it always comes down to the individual.

4. Your goal is to receive $1 million a month.

5. Businesses provide a service, so the more money you make, the more people you help.

6. You owe society nothing and you are entitled to nothing.

7. Profits have helped more people than charity ever will.

;)

I printed this out already and pinned it to one of my vision boards.

I made just one change and I think it's important.

3. The subconscious doesn't understand a negative. That's why you should always design your affirmations in the positive.

Like: Money is good.

OK? Thanks and good luck to you!

SenGracic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 12, 2015
Canada
If you let the money control YOU then yes you will be miserable.

but it's not that much about the money but the lifestyle.

Will Hodge

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jul 5, 2015

I guess it's time to abandon my fastlane plans.

1. You will contribute more to war [because you'll pay more in taxes].
  2. You will hasten the destruction of the planet.
  3. Your prosperity = someone else’s poverty.
  4. Money makes you meaner.
  5. Money won’t make you happy. In fact, it’s more likely to make you miserable.

https://www.opendemocracy.net/transformation/darrin-drda/five-reasons-why-you-never-want-to-be-rich

This seems to be the mindset that most Americans are adopting now as we become a more Liberal nation. Hey, less competition for me!

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
There is a lot of money spent to make sure the American people believe this mindset. Rich = bad.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia

1. Money makes you meaner.
  2. Money won’t make you happy. In fact, it’s more likely to make you miserable.

2. It doesn't. It just magnifies the real you. I'll be pretty happy giving more money to charity than others who moan and grumble about giving, and they have less.
3. It depends what you to choose to do with the money.
If you use money to build a school in Africa like what Pat Flynn did, you will be very happy.
If you use money to fund an operation to save someone's life, you will be very happy.
If you use money to put food on a poor family's table, you will be very happy.

However....

If you use money to buy a gun to end a man's life, you will be miserable.
If you use money to buy drugs, you will be miserable. If the overdose doesn't get you, that is.
If you use money to bribe the higher-ups for a promotion, you will be miserable when the cops start showing up.

Just my 2 cents...

Pilot35

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
502%
Sep 2, 2016
If money is evil, why are most people spending their entire lives working for something that's evil?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.