The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

5 Great things about Self Employment

McFirewavesJr

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
263%
Sep 27, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
Yes, it violates most of the Fastlane Commandments, especially Scale & Time, but graduating from Employed to Self Employed can and has been a major stepping stone for many of us. Here are my top 5 reasons why being self employed is not a road that converges with abundance and wealth, but still an exit ramp that will allow you to get off the Slowlane!

1) Responsibility and Accountability.
Yes, some of us understood the importance of these two conceps while working a job, but being by yourself forces you to embrace them. While being alone, you are paid for your productivity, not for your time. Don't want to work? Don't get paid! Action and Reaction become daily reminders that everything that happens in your life is YOUR FAULT.

2) It pays more than a job
Simply by cutting the middle man (your boss) and serving the source directly, you can easily DOUBLE your salary while doing the exact same job. Of course you don't have the benefits, insurance and so on, but let's face it, when you need cash to start your own thing, the last thing you want is to pay union fees.

3) The schedule
A journey to wealth is demanding, but it's possible to make it more comfortable. Having the luxury of making your own schedule can definitely increase productivity and allow you to respect your natural sleep/productivity patterns. I personally can have 18 hours days if I manage my own schedule, but when if I have to wake up at 6am to beat traffic, forget about it.

4) Less headwinds
The simple fact of not being in the "comfort" of a corporate environment can at least give you a taste of what financial freedom might feel like. I remember walking my dog every day at 12h30 while some office people were on their lunch break. The simple fact of not being one of them anymore felt great. I didn't have to fight the social pressure of keeping up with the Joneses.

5) Control
While you might have a hard time putting food on the table (maybe not), at least you chose to be there. As a self employed worker, no one can fire you from your job. You might lose clients once in a while, but at least you can diversify and prepare escape plans. Also there's no begging for a pay raise. One day I decided to increase my prices by 30% because I had a full schedule and couldn't take anymore job. Guess what, it worked and that was my new salary. I didn't have to beg or go back to school to increase my intrinsic value. It didn't cost a dime and it took a few seconds to implement.

As mentioned previously, self employment was a major stepping stone in my journey towards creating a real business system. It's part of my process and I'm happy I did it. As we speak, I'm nowhere where I want to be and all my time and money goes into my business, but I haven't worked in 2 months and it's the closest I've been to wealth in my entire life.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

DWX

Getting on with it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Nov 19, 2015
UK
There's definitely an advantage to being self-employed and it can serve you well when it comes to starting a fastlane venture.

Great points!

becks22

90% coffee, 10% everything else
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY
I'm self employed for a little over 1 year now. It's great working from home. I don't miss the typical office setting at all. You are also spot on with the 'escape plan'. I realized too much revenue was coming from one client. Even though the client likes me, I know they get pressure from management about switching to a larger company. I am planning a huge marketing campaign to start sending direct mail to my other targets by 10/1. I hope then, I can have a more diversified client base which is great for all matters of my business.

McFirewavesJr

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
263%
Sep 27, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
Yu
I'm self employed for a little over 1 year now. It's great working from home. I don't miss the typical office setting at all. You are also spot on with the 'escape plan'. I realized too much revenue was coming from one client. Even though the client likes me, I know they get pressure from management about switching to a larger company. I am planning a huge marketing campaign to start sending direct mail to my other targets by 10/1. I hope then, I can have a more diversified client base which is great for all matters of my business.

Yeah it can be very tempting to devote all your time for a big client, but very risky... A couple weeks ago someone was telling me how happy he was to work for a single big client that treated him well. Needless to say I didn't share his excitement knowing that he didn't have any plan B and that new clients were hard to acquire quickly in his field.

Actually I just remembered that even my brother had a single high value client a couple years back and ended up with 0 revenue overnight. Sad story.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
6) You can fire clients. Yay!

Justin Gesso

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Jun 4, 2014
Colorado
Awesome post, @Fred Chevry .

I'm at just over 3 years myself.

Maybe this falls under your Control, but I'll add that as your business starts building, you gain runway in terms of time and money...

This allows you to be highly flexible and really chase down only the things you want. Once you build up enough income sources that start running themselves, you gain the freedom take more risks and chase down those projects you're really passionate about. And that's an amazing inflection point.

For me, it's been in those risks that you really start to generate more scalable and passive income.

I see that journey to the Fastlane as one you ramp to. And self employment is definitely a major first stepping stone up that ramp.

McFirewavesJr

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
263%
Sep 27, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
Awesome post, @Fred Chevry .

I'm at just over 3 years myself.

Maybe this falls under your Control, but I'll add that as your business starts building, you gain runway in terms of time and money...

This allows you to be highly flexible and really chase down only the things you want. Once you build up enough income sources that start running themselves, you gain the freedom take more risks and chase down those projects you're really passionate about. And that's an amazing inflection point.

For me, it's been in those risks that you really start to generate more scalable and passive income.

I see that journey to the Fastlane as one you ramp to. And self employment is definitely a major first stepping stone up that ramp.
I can't transfer rep via TapTalk, but great reply!

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.