The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

47 Simple Ways to Waste Money

Anything related to matters of the mind

lightning

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Aug 24, 2007
Northern, NJ
Great article I just read on MSN. I bet with the brilliance on this site, we could compile a list 4x as long on ways to leave more money in your pocket each month! :) Pretty good read though with ALOT of truth to it.

47 simple ways to waste money- Smart Spending - MSN Money

Heres a simple one that has benefitted me these past few months: Bring your lunch to work instead of eating out 5 days a week! (even if you cut back and brown bag it just a couple of days in the week, you can save ALOT of money doing this rather than dropping $6-$20 every single afternoon). Not to mention the benefits it can have on your wasteline! (as someone who is trying to drop a large chunk of weight right now, this is a HUGE plus for me).

Anybody else have a noteworthy contribution? :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

rocksolid

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Nov 17, 2008
New York
• We have cable but no premium channels.
• We try to rent movies from the library but they don't always have up to date movies so we go to the redbox.
• We pay as we go on our cell phones and use it only when needed. No texting or anything other than a phone.
• We brown bag lunch and have been for about 11 years. We do eat lunch out on occasion but most of the time we don't.
• We bake muffins for breakfast instead of buying them at a bakery.
• We never get coffee from Starbucks, We always brew coffee at home in the mornings and it taste great!
• We only give our son 2 meals a day, which he is getting use to ( just kidding ).
• When we go on vacation we usually rent a timeshare from somebody on eBay. Last year we stayed in a 2 bedroom Marriott in Orlando for 750.00 for the wk. It was great!

It’s not that we are thrifty; my wife has been home with our son who has special needs for the past 6 yrs so we are living on 1 paycheck in NY and making under 60K. That in itself is a nice trick to pull off :)

mkzhang

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Sep 30, 2009
As a car guy, I can let it slide if I want to change oil at 3k or buy a new car :) However, never ever let the dealer rip you off, the dealer asked me if I want to flush my transmission fluid for a car that has a enclosed, non-accessible transmission that does not need fluid flush lol.

I also pack my own lunch, a piece of bread bun a day for lunch with my own bottle water.

My advice would be:

1. Research your purchase and all purchases before you commit. Specially for cars... I helped my parent buy a Lexus RX400h for 37k brand new, the sticker price was 51k, completely killed the dealer on that one. Next week went back to the dealer, and the salesman said he shouldn't have made the deal with me because some sucker bought the same car for sticker after us.

Chitown

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Apr 14, 2009
Culver City
Lightning,

I concur where brown bagging is concerned -- you save a fortune eating at home.

I would also suggest buying private label items at the supermarket. You'd be surprised at who manufactures products for in-house brands. For instance, I understand that Costco's Kirkland brand of vodka is Absolut -- I don't know if it's true but I would not be surprised if it were. As a boy, growing up in Chicago, I worked for a Polish bakery that private labeled for some of the city's top grocery chains.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Lightning,

I concur where brown bagging is concerned -- you save a fortune eating at home.

I would also suggest buying private label items at the supermarket. You'd be surprised at who manufactures products for in-house brands. For instance, I understand that Costco's Kirkland brand of vodka is Absolut -- I don't know if it's true but I would not be surprised if it were. As a boy, growing up in Chicago, I worked for a Polish bakery that private labeled for some of the city's top grocery chains.

its actually re bottled greygoose as i understand from an unpper employee! 32$ for 1.5L is a good deal.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.