The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

29-year-old millennial rips 25-year-old Yelp employee who got fired after complaining about her sala

Share your FTE moment...

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
http://www.businessinsider.com/stefanie-williams-response-to-yelp-employee-talia-jane-2016-2
https://medium.com/@taliajane/an-open-letter-to-my-ceo-fb73df021e7a#.ewkx6egrt

While I do think that 7.75$ minimum wage is not a living wage anymore, this chick seems like a complete moron.

she got a useless english degree, cellphone, car, credit card.... just... i dont know...

The beginning says it all:
"I dreamed of having a car and a credit card and my own apartment. I told my 8-year old self, This is what it means to be an adult."

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Total ownage! Sounds like something I would have like to have written.

rc08234

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jun 29, 2011
South Jersey
Lol that girl doesn't have a clue

"They’re great. I’ve got vision, dental, the normal health insurance stuff — and as far as I can tell, I don’t have to pay for any of it! Except the copays. $20"

I can't even afford healthcare, I would jump at the chance of 20$ copays!!!

Or ask my pops, who pays 1200$ a month because he is self employed. Btw doesn't even vision or dental, ya know, the "normal health stuff" :rolleyes:

I hope she chokes on her 10 lb bag of rice.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
> be talia
> badmouth the CEO of the company that F*cking owns your company
> get fired
> be surprised

I finally understand what Nietzsche meant when he wrote that if you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back at you.
We are staring into the abyss of human idiocy, and the abyss has full health coverage.

b19c4510c25415a4622152920e1e4549f2d4c1a5c3b63ad2666a54bbd430c656.jpg

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Damn, body bagged. If you're thinking of skipping reading this because it's long, don't.

As an aside:

useless english degree

The concept of "valuable degree"/"worthless degree" is slowlane thinking. Those labels describe how much money you could make using the degree to work for someone else. I don't even want to say that knowing Chaucer or whatever might be worthless. I'm sure JK Rowling's friends all thought an extensive knowledge of Latin roots was useless bar trivia too until she turned it into one of the most unique underpinnings of a billion dollar enterprise. I mean, Look at @Likwid24. Probably got sneered at like the waitress in this story for having a job usually done by illegal immigrants and stuff. "That's not a valuable job."

Oops.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Damn, body bagged. If you're thinking of skipping reading this because it's long, don't.

As an aside:

The concept of "valuable degree"/"worthless degree" is slowlane thinking. Those labels describe how much money you could make using the degree to work for someone else. I don't even want to say that knowing Chaucer or whatever might be worthless. I'm sure JK Rowling's friends all thought an extensive knowledge of Latin roots was useless bar trivia too until she turned it into one of the most unique underpinnings of a billion dollar enterprise. I mean, Look at @Likwid24. Probably got sneered at like the waitress in this story for having a job usually done by illegal immigrants and stuff. "That's not a valuable job."

Oops.

yea i meant useless in a job context.

mrarcher

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jan 26, 2016
Scotland

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn

Tuition is pretty crazy though... I believe education should not be privatized and encouraging student loans on 17-18 olds whose brains haven't fully developed yet is a dirty practice.

With that said however, at this point it would be very shortsighted to take out a student loan, i certainly refused to do it when i was 17, no way no how no debt.

mrarcher

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jan 26, 2016
Scotland
Tuition is pretty crazy though... I believe education should not be privatized and encouraging student loans on 17-18 olds whose brains haven't fully developed yet is a dirty practice.

With that said however, at this point it would be very shortsighted to take out a student loan, i certainly refused to do it when i was 17, no way no how no debt.
It is paying to get yourself in a better paying job than mcdonalds. No one else should pay for you to live your life how you want to.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
"There is nothing wrong with stealing thousands upon thousands by not paying my debt, but those bankers? Fraudsters!"
Nothing worse than people who think they have the moral high ground. They will do anything and always have an excuse.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
It is paying to get yourself in a better paying job than mcdonalds. No one else should pay for you to live your life how you want to.

With a useless english degree what job are you gonna get to repay a crap ton of debt, IF you even get a job that you wanted.
I guess I just don't think like most people do, I don't feel comfortable taking out a huge loan to educate myself in the hopes of finding a job afterwards several years later and repaying the debt over several more years... that's why i'm starting my own business.

I like it the way they did it in the Soviet Union. Higher Education was FREE, but your grades had to earn that free education.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
"There is nothing wrong with stealing thousands upon thousands by not paying my debt, but those bankers? Fraudsters!"
Nothing worse than people who think they have the moral high ground. They will do anything and always have an excuse.

Lehman Brothers default on 600 billion dollars, get congress approved 700 billion dollar bailout.

Banksters are too big to fail and get a corrupt government sanctioned bailout but all the dumb kids trying to get an education so they can provide more value to potential employers, improve their social status in life, and simply do what's been drilled into their heads by guidance counselors since elementary school are fair game!!!

It's a f*cked up world we live in.

Last edited:

mrarcher

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jan 26, 2016
Scotland
B
With a useless english degree what job are you gonna get to repay a crap ton of debt, IF you even get a job that you wanted.
I guess I just don't think like most people do, I don't feel comfortable taking out a huge loan to educate myself in the hopes of finding a job afterwards several years later and repaying the debt over several more years... that's why i'm starting my own business.

I like it the way they did it in the Soviet Union. Higher Education was FREE, but your grades had to earn that free education.
But it isn't free someone has to pay for it. The taxpayer (me) shouldnt have to pay for your education because you want to drive a Mercedes. The debt is a decision you make to get a job you WANT not need. If you do such a thing then you have to deal with the consequences. Would you take out a $40000 loan to invest in the stock market? Is it the rich or the government who is at fault if the stock crashes and you have to repay the loan because you didnt get the outcome you wanted?

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
B

But it isn't free someone has to pay for it. The taxpayer (me) shouldnt have to pay for your education because you want to drive a Mercedes. The debt is a decision you make to get a job you WANT not need. If you do such a thing then you have to deal with the consequences. Would you take out a $40000 loan to invest in the stock market? Is it the rich or the government who is at fault if the stock crashes and you have to repay the loan because you didnt get the outcome you wanted?

I believe that the taxpayers should pay for education period, no matter what the student's motivation is, whether it's to drive a Mercedes or becoming a doctor to help people.
Let the grades dictate qualification.
I consider education to be a pillar of modern civilization, not to be controlled by business interests.

And regarding paying taxes, the governments funds all kinds of crap that we the people didn't approve or even know about. It's well known that the U.S. spends significantly more than any other country on military spending, funding unpopular wars.

Trillions of dollars are disappearing, probably black ops projects we don't even know about.
http://investmentwatchblog.com/the-...ng-and-they-have-no-idea-what-happened-to-it/

And of course we the people bailed out the banks that are too big to fail, that's NOT CAPITALISM. I honestly don't understand how everyone collectively forgot about the 2008 events, i mean wtf? there should be public hangings on wall street going on... not million dollar bonuses funded by the bailouts.

Guess what country didn't bail out their banks, ICELAND!
Are they in the mainstream news, NO.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/traceyg...y-is-a-surprising-success-story/#3c5ecc37def5

Last edited:

Newpollz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
Nov 14, 2015
Trust me when I say, there are far more embarrassing things in life than working at a restaurant, washing dishes, or serving burgers at a fast food window. And one of them, without one shred of doubt, is displaying your complete lack of work ethic in public by asking for handouts because you refuse to actually do work that at the ripe old age of 25 that you think is unworthy of your witty tweet creating time.

My thoughts precisely. Thanks for the story.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
Lehman Brothers default on 600 billion dollars, get congress approved 700 billion dollar bailout.

Banksters are too big to fail and get a corrupt government sanctioned bailout but all the dumb kids trying to get an education so they can provide more value to potential employers, improve their social status in life, and simply do what's been drilled into their heads by guidance counselors since elementary school are fair game!!!

It's a f*cked up world we live in.
Yes, sure. But nobody says that Lehman Brothers did nothing wrong. These people instead are convinced they are morally right. F*ck that.
Steal if you want to steal, but don't delude yourself with the fantasy that you are not a petty thief.
I consider education to be a pillar of modern civilization, not to be controlled by business interests.
Except that business interests have built modern civilization.

Let me make it clear - I'm not American, and I think your system of student loans is a joke.
Point is: if you don't like a game, don't play it.
If you do play it, then you follow the rules, or you are a cheater.
There are no excuses, sorry.

You took the money, you declare bankruptcy not the pay them, you are on par with Lehman Brothers in my book.
Stealing less doesn't make you less of a thief, just a worse one.

And I'm not saying "don't tell your student loans to F*ck themselves".
I would default on them too. Honestly. I would have never took them in the first place.
But you are stealing. Steal as a "F*ck you" to the whole industry, if you want.
Just don't mock people with this cry-baby version of the moral high-ground.

Last edited:

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Yes, sure. But nobody says that Lehman Brothers did nothing wrong. These people instead are convinced they are morally right. F*ck that.
Steal if you want to steal, but don't delude yourself with the fantasy that you are not a petty thief.

I can't debate about business interests building modern civilization, might be to complicated for me. Maybe they should at least be very heavily regulated within certain industries like education.

Anyway, what you said about stealing reminds me of a great scene from better call saul (spoilers)

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
This remind me of a great scene from better call saul (spoilers)
Ah, that's spot on! Wonder if the author of the article watches BCS and nods at Mike's speech?
I can't debate about business interests building modern civilization, might be to complicated for me. Maybe they should at least be very heavily regulated within certain industries like education.
Oh, I agree. Honestly, I don't even see why we need physical colleges anymore. With the internet, I can see standardized test for each course and let people study on their own, plus internship programs for practical activities that might be necessary. That could be fun.

Donovon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Apr 8, 2015
Sunnyvale, California
I'm really glad I took the time to read this, I currently work at a tech company which has great benefits (like free food) and people constantly complain about it ("EW! Why do they always make Mexican food? Give us the good food we deserve!" That's a real comment from our monthly feedback survey).

I thought only my company was full of entitled, lazy, low-performing assholes, but they're everywhere! I feel so much better.

On a serious note.....who the hell am I going to hire when I get my company off the ground? I can't trust my peer group.

wilddog

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto
I'm really glad I took the time to read this, I currently work at a tech company which has great benefits (like free food) and people constantly complain about it ("EW! Why do they always make Mexican food? Give us the good food we deserve!" That's a real comment from our monthly feedback survey).

This is the modern era.

I work for a corporation. One that provides excellent benefits, scales salaries to be at-or-above industry standards, work whatever hours you choose, a bible-sized book of courses for personal development, onsite nurse, unlimited sick days, unlimited budget for safety initiatives. This corporation, one of the biggest in North America, even does a corporate wide survey every 2 years to see where they can improve to make employees happy.

But every single day, the amount of vitriol I hear about this corporation from it's employees is jaw dropping. Even people who have been with the company for 30+ years are just shitting all over it.

The average employee is the story of complete and utter dissatisfaction. Being angry at your employer is ALOT easier than coming to terms with reality. The reality being that they traded their hopes/dreams/aspirations for the comfort of a bi-weekly paycheck. It's easier to complain about someone else than to look in the mirror and recognize your own shortcomings.

Bitching about what you don't have is easier than working your a$$ off to achieve what you want. Not taking ownership for your life is the modern day employee.

@AllenCrawley story about the hound on the nail sums it up nicely.

Last edited:

ace81385

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
May 6, 2015
I sometimes think that people in America think its a right to go to a private college. It's insane the price of college in america, but guess what there are less expensive options, state schools- in state tuition is generally affordable. You could also go to community college for two years then transfer to a 4 year university. When I was applying for college I got into some 25 universities and guess what I looked at the cost 40k a year at the time x 4 160k! My dad said to me listen I can pay for some an I'm very thankful and blessed that he was able to do that for me. I ultimately decided to go to state school 12-15k a year an not take out crazy amounts of student loans. I think if you 18 an applying for college and cant make good decisions your probably not ready to go to college. My one friend went to undergrad took out loans 60k (which honestly you could afford to repair with a decent job) then he went to law school 140k in loans, and now hes swimming in debt he cant ever repay and hes a LAWYER!!! Should I feel bad for people that took out 160k for undergrad to be a liberal arts major ( i was a history major) an now complain they cant live in NYC and go out every day. sorry rant over lol

Mr.Donnerhuhn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Aug 2, 2015
I sometimes think that people in America think its a right to go to a private college. It's insane the price of college in america, but guess what there are less expensive options, state schools- in state tuition is generally affordable. You could also go to community college for two years then transfer to a 4 year university. When I was applying for college I got into some 25 universities and guess what I looked at the cost 40k a year at the time x 4 160k! My dad said to me listen I can pay for some an I'm very thankful and blessed that he was able to do that for me. I ultimately decided to go to state school 12-15k a year an not take out crazy amounts of student loans. I think if you 18 an applying for college and cant make good decisions your probably not ready to go to college. My one friend went to undergrad took out loans 60k (which honestly you could afford to repair with a decent job) then he went to law school 140k in loans, and now hes swimming in debt he cant ever repay and hes a LAWYER!!! Should I feel bad for people that took out 160k for undergrad to be a liberal arts major ( i was a history major) an now complain they cant live in NYC and go out every day. sorry rant over lol

There's an even cheaper option nowadays, unless you're entering a restricted profession:

www.google.com

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
and the abyss has full health coverage.

And a bottle of brandy while watching 200 cable tv channels.

I was going to comment when the letter first made news but decided against it. And of course, no online begging treatise is complete without a GoFund me link so we can contribute to your apparent rough life.

And how we have open letters to open letters.

This one is complete with blaming corporate CEO pay, not a bad argument, but probably not relevant to the real issue.

http://www.businessinsider.com/letter-to-talia-jane-and-stefanie-williams-about-salaries-2016-2

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
"I put a bunch of debt on a shiny new credit card to afford the move."

Haha, a girl with a real head on her shoulders.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn

I just don't get how people allow themselves to be in this much debt, it's like a noose around your neck.

I live in New York City and applied to just one college after high school, CUNY City College.
Tuition was like 5k a year only. I was so poor that i received around 10k a year in financial aid lol.
All i had to do was maintain a GPA above 2.0 which is laughingly low.
I would have never ever EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER EVER took out a loan... i knew that even back then.

Newpollz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
Nov 14, 2015
The average employee is the story of complete and utter dissatisfaction. Being angry at your employer is ALOT easier than coming to terms with reality. The reality being that they traded their hopes/dreams/aspirations for the comfort of a bi-weekly paycheck. It's easier to complain about someone else than to look in the mirror and recognize your own shortcomings

This is spot on.

Remember, everyone wants the cheddar. Nobody wants the trap.

For example, look at this image:

hqdefault.jpg

What would you do if you were in this situation?

---

---

---

--- If your initial thought is "I would try to make him lean over, bite his arm, try to escape "

---

---

You must realize that I've never said you couldn't be the aggressor in the picture (why would you assume that you should be the one being choked?).

---

---

It's not your fault, I don't know if it is social conditioning or pure human logic but we are like that most of us.

We obey, we take it in our stride, we endure. Until we realize the lie.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.