The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

28 Year Old Built A $3M Business In 10 Months Thanks To Instagram

Social media marketing, advertising, and growth

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
At the start of 2012, 27-year-old Arvin Lal was pumping iron with his friend, Michael Dimarco, a chiropractor who mixed his own herbal supplements. The friend gave him a weight loss remedy. "I tried it and I lost 8 pounds in two weeks. I asked him is this legal? If so let's mass produce it," Lal told Business INSIDERS. Lal had a credit card with a $5,000 limit, and Dimarco had a credit card, too, and off they went to bottle the supplement now named Shredz.

http://www.businessinsider.com/28-yr-old-built-a-business-on-instagram-2013-10

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
Ya, a lot of money to be made off Instagram. My wife started an online shop drop shipping a pet product. became profitable in 1.5 weeks, with 100% of traffic driven by Instagram.

There are other tools and bots that can really help with this, in addition to the tools that the author talked about. The problem that I saw was that if she stopped then traffic to the site dried up pretty fast.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Yes!!!! Instagram is giving anyone who wants it a chance to sell their product!

It would appear that way.

Idk Instagram very well. So anyone have an idea of the actual process for doin so?

I mean do you just throw up images hoping 100,000 people will see it?

benhebert

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
234%
Dec 3, 2012
Traveling
At the start of 2012, 27-year-old Arvin Lal was pumping iron with his friend, Michael Dimarco, a chiropractor who mixed his own herbal supplements. The friend gave him a weight loss remedy. "I tried it and I lost 8 pounds in two weeks. I asked him is this legal? If so let's mass produce it," Lal told Business INSIDERS. Lal had a credit card with a $5,000 limit, and Dimarco had a credit card, too, and off they went to bottle the supplement now named Shredz.

Thank you for sharing this. As someone who just launched a brand new supplement company this month... I NEEDED TO READ THIS.

nevergiveup

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Jul 17, 2013
NC

Idk Instagram very well. So anyone have an idea of the actual process for doin so?

I post pics to my instagram weekly... To grow fast, you need to get big instagram accounts to give you a shout out on their page.

Determined2012

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 22, 2012
Chicago, IL

I posted about this in another thread recently. I am HAPPY that someone else found this article and posted it. I wanted to see the thoughts of others on the forum about using instagram as a way to get sales.

A lot of people who don't have formal business training or background are doing really well with this, and are making big money using instagram.

This is what I posted in the other thread:

"The social platform that I am most interested in for turning likes into sales is Instagram. There are some Instagram users informally making thousands of dollars ---- they are marketing their products and coupling the products with larger than life cyber personas- most of the persona stems around what people who strive to be in the "popular crowd" want to see. (Bling, fancy vacations, luxury cars, designer clothes, fine dining, buff men/sexy women) all the things slow laners (biggest consumers) are obsessed with.

For the high school / college aged consumers they are spending tons of money on products being sold on Instagram- daily

I'm still shocked that Instagram has not monetized this fact in some manner. The sheer volume of constant Instagram use is staggering- these days almost every page I follow is pushing or is showing you that they are about to start pushing a product...

The marketing genius is that when people shop with you from your Instagram page they then shout YOU out on their page thus giving you more visibility to all of their followers.... You in turn shout them out on your page thus building credibility that you are making sales and can be trusted to shop with.

If anyone is curious or interested to see exactly what I am referring to I can post the names of a few Instagram power sellers and you can see how easy it is for them-

Based on the research I've done on this I know 95% of it is based on the buyer viewing this person as someone who is popular or "in"

Sorry for hi jacking- but I would like to see more talks about this- because Instagram is the new Facebook and Twitter mixed together on crack- and as of now it's 100% free and has no Ads and it rarely crashes... Instagram is a great platform to use to make sales."

ETA: Thank you Rickson for posting this! I tried to bring this topic up a couple different times before, and no one really seemed interested. Being that you are a high speed/ content contributor you have been able to bring eyes to something that I have really wanted to see a discussion about on the forum, when I couldn't- so thank you. Rep+

brandonrush

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jul 23, 2012
Louisiana
If anyone is curious or interested to see exactly what I am referring to I can post the names of a few Instagram power sellers and you can see how easy it is for them-

I'm pretty interested in some examples.

rkmalo1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 14, 2012
Chicago

I'm pretty interested as well. Determined - Thanks for the explaining Marketing on Instagram as well!

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto

yup. post it.

Tony I

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Apr 9, 2013
MA
Not to discredit this guy, but he was featured on the show Jersey shore and surely gained some followers off of that.

I'm sure his relationships have helped him to some degree, but 3Mill in less then a year is quite the achievement.

eqttrdr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Aug 25, 2013
"ten months later and the company itself has 2.7 million social media followers."

????? the company only has 1k likes on facebook... that makes no sense imo

I dont believe this article at all sorry....

just really good PR

his stats dont add up when I researched the company

they only sell their products on their own website and Amazon from what I can see and DEFINITELY not $3mil in sales on amazon

please someone prove me wrong here because sure looks like ALL PR and nothing more

his links on footer to as seen on lead to 404 error pages...LOL

The Autobahn

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Mar 2, 2013
Switzerland
There is always a lot of hype in the Media, but if you dig further about the story you will get in the most cases your own picture if that is being realistic or not.

Determined2012

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 22, 2012
Chicago, IL
I finally saw signs of Instagram monetizing the app. They have "commercials" or sponsored pictures that appear in your timeline. ANNOYING!!!!!!

I was scrolling yesterday and I saw a pic from Paypal... I said hmmm... I don't remember following them. I clicked on the link, in order to unfollow them- saw that I wasn't following them, and then realized that this is coming from the app.

I bet they will create an option where you can pay to hide these ads.

Soon- they will be charging us to post pics! LOL Esp. people running businesses off of IG.

What's the "C" in CENTS again?! Oh yeah... Control.

Last edited by a moderator:

LimitLessJG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jul 2, 2013
New Jersey
Arvin is a cool humble dude, definitely down to earth. Met him a few times before out here in Jersey. His hard work has definitely payed off from him constantly putting in 20 hour work days, not only did instagram help make "Shredz" what it is today, but him being best friends with "the situation" from Jersey Shore also helped a bit as well...plus his team eat, sleeps, and breathes this company, and has the same vision for Shredz as he does. They are all very talented and dedicated individuals.

MattCour

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Aug 17, 2012
NY
Arvin is a cool humble dude, definitely down to earth. Met him a few times before out here in Jersey. His hard work has definitely payed off from him constantly putting in 20 hour work days, not only did instagram help make "Shredz" what it is today, but him being best friends with "the situation" from Jersey Shore also helped a bit as well...plus his team eat, sleeps, and breathes this company, and has the same vision for Shredz as he does. They are all very talented and dedicated individuals.

Are you an employee there?

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
It looks like they got most of their traction when they were featured on Jersey Shore, or whatever it is.

So, no, this does not like Instagram marketing done right. It's awesome that they were picked up, but let's give credit where credit is due.

Please, someone show me how they have gotten sales, with hard data figures, from Instagram.

For example, any PPC/Facebook guy could show you how he put $1,000 into advertising, and got $3,000 back, etc.

So, can you spend xxx amount of time, and return xxx amount of money on Instagram? If so, show me someone that did it!!

LimitLessJG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jul 2, 2013
New Jersey
It looks like they got most of their traction when they were featured on Jersey Shore, or whatever it is.

So, no, this does not like Instagram marketing done right. It's awesome that they were picked up, but let's give credit where credit is due.

Please, someone show me how they have gotten sales, with hard data figures, from Instagram.

For example, any PPC/Facebook guy could show you how he put $1,000 into advertising, and got $3,000 back, etc.

So, can you spend xxx amount of time, and return xxx amount of money on Instagram? If so, show me someone that did it!!

Shredz itself as a brand was never featured on Jersey Shore, it's just Arvin the CEO had a few cameos on the show, which may have helped boost the recognition of Shredz once people found out it was Arvin's company. But I don't feel that this is nearly the main reason why they are where they are today. I'm going to have to refer to the "hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard" on this one as well as "it's not what you know, but who you know". He has a lot of solid connections as well, as the artist Jay Sean being a brand ambassador for them...

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Arvin the CEO had a few cameos on the show, which may have helped boost the recognition of Shredz once people found out it was Arvin's company

So - you've proven my point.

I just think the thread title and the article conclusion is misleading. Also, this article coincides with the release of Instagram's ad platform. Concidence...? You decide for yourself.

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
I am currently working with my social guy to leverage organic social traffic as much as possible. It is totally possible, just as anything else is. When it comes to marketing though, hit EVERYTHING. Leverage every system until it F*cking breaks. Period.

MisterBHZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Dec 10, 2013
Memphis, TN
I am currently working with my social guy to leverage organic social traffic as much as possible. It is totally possible, just as anything else is. When it comes to marketing though, hit EVERYTHING. Leverage every system until it F*cking breaks. Period.
True words indeed.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago

The fact that people can create businesses in such borderline accidental way makes me wonder how much money someone makes when money - i.e revenue, profit and the bottom line are the aim and focus.

Such power Instagram is.

Wonder how Andrew Carnegie, JP Morgan, and the other titans would have used the tech strategies and tactics that we moderns take for granted.

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
The fact that people can create businesses in such borderline accidental way makes me wonder how much money someone makes when money - i.e revenue, profit and the bottom line are the aim and focus.

Such power Instagram is.

Wonder how Andrew Carnegie, JP Morgan, and the other titans would have used the tech strategies and tactics that we moderns take for granted.
The curiosities are strong with this one...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.